Worth upgrading?

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Got a 3080 64gb ram and everything else all good but cou is hamper now.. asus prime z390a board looking at i9 9900k or i9 10900k

Coming from i7-8700k

if you can get a 9900k for a good price, I can see that being a worthy upgrade. Getting 5ghz all core from that cpu is almost a given and really performs amazingly well (im using one now at that speed typing this) and have a million apps in the background... flawlessly. You can forget a 10900k, that would require a new motherboard (z490 or Z590 only) and this late in the game with alder lake out in ~1 1/2-2months from now, I wouldnt buy into a platform this late in the game with new toys just about to be out. Get a 9900K for sub 250$ and call it a day

Yea it's tough I'm debating waiting and going full mobo cpu upgrade next year or just popping for the 9900k now and chillin on it at least a year or two more

I would personally wait for Alder lake or 6xxx Ryzen tbh. If cost is a concern then go for the 9900k since you would be going into a entire now platform. DDR5 will be expensive for those CPUs.

Yea it's tough I'm debating waiting and going full mobo cpu upgrade next year or just popping for the 9900k now and chillin on it at least a year or two more
Actually 8700K is enough for RTX 3080
Here you have some benchmarks with 5GHz 8700K, 9900K, Comet lake CPU's and OC'd Ryzens 5xxx: https://www.purepc.pl/test-procesorow-amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-intel-core-i7-10700k?page=0,42 The GPU here is 2080Ti so little slower but resolution is also 1080p so probably lower than what you use (I assume something like 1440p). Differences between 8700K @ 5GHz and 9900K@5GHz are minuscule. AMD processors do not fare much better either. If you use 4K monitor then the difference will be even smaller.

Or to write it differently: You cannot expect any tangible differences in gaming from upgrading anything than GPU. Especially if you are on 4K monitor.
This is because Intel didn't make any significant progress after Skylake yet and AMD had a lot of catching up to do. So the only change is amount of cores and 6 cores seems to be enough, at least for now.

After new generation of CPU's come out and have actually significantly better performance it still won't mean upgrade is 'needed' but it will at least be good time to think about it.

That said 8700K->9900k would be very easy and cheap upgrade (especially if you got used 9900k) and should give you your upgrade fix and piece of mind that you have 8 cores - which kinda is the standard amount today.

Reviving older thread, same thing basically. Just upgraded to a 3080ti on water and wondering if my OC'd 8086 is holding it back a bit. I've noticed some strange CPU utilization in games like GTA 5 and Metro Exodus. I can get a brand new 9900KS off fleabay for about $300... seems reasonable short of a full system upgrade to Alder Lake or and AMD 5800x. What say ye?

I wouldn't bother personally. But if you can sell the 8086K for like $200. I'd say go for it.

Back