Worth upgrading 2500+ to 3200+?

Applejuice

Weaksauce
Well I believe the 3200+ is the fastest 32-bit processor that AMD makes. Would I notice much of a difference if I stepped up?

Applejuice said:
ive tried, cant get it to work =/

hmm... Something must be wrong then...

What motherboard do you have? Memory? cooling?

deadoralive said:
yeah probably want 3200 or better
Yup, or use a divider. This isn't recommended though because AMD chipsets generally perform better when the RAM and CPU are in sync.

If you mean XP3200+, yes it will be faster but no it will not be worth upgrading.

If you mean A64 3200+, yes it's faster and it IS worth upgrading. (hint hint)

Is his CPU even capable of OCing to a 3200+? Is every 2500+ XP chip ever made, able to OC to a 3200+ XP? I don't think so. If he can't OC that high, he cant.

I had 3 2500+'s and never got 2200 out of any of them...athlon xp-m's are another story entirely :) I have 2 of those and each hits 2300-2400mhz.

Rob

I had a 2500+ in my NF7-S, I couldn't get it to max out at anything higher than 192 x 10.5. I got a 2800+ and it's running at 2336 mhz, 11 x 182 I think. It's only a little faster, but it made a real difference in gaming for only a little more money. And since it isn't OC'd as far to be faster, it runs cooler than the 2500+, and fast enough to be close to 3200+ speed.for a lot less money.

Hey dude, here's a suggestion if this happened to you or is currently your problem.

I just purchased a 2500+ (not Mobile) and well I had my mem timings set @ 5-2-2-2 and was running @ 3200+ speeds. Well it posted and went into Windows and them bam (bsod). :D Then I went back into bios and changed the mem timings to 7-3-3-2, and I'm running @ 3200+ like a charm for the past 12+ hours.

So maybe you are running your mem timings a lil too fast?

I don't remember right now and don't really have time to look it up since I'm at work, but does the A7V8x even officially run 400 FSB? If not, then the PCI and AGP busses are getting overclocked when you up the FSB. There is no PCI/AGP lock on the older VIA boards.

The RAM is being overclocked since it's only PC2700. You may try slower RAM timings and raising the RAM voltage to see if that will help. There is no guarantee that the processor will run 3200+ speeds on any motherboard.

I'm running a 2500 at 2.2Ghz right now, I'm curious about what kind of an oc you can get with a Athlon XP-M 3000 that is stock at 2.2Ghz. Anyone have one of these? If so what kind of oc do you get on air with it?

If they don't oc well then I'd say an upgrade from a 2500 wouldn't be worth it. (inserted to prevent thread hijack ;))

i think that chip is the same as a regular 3000+ but with the multiplier unlocked; the voltage is the same as a regular 3000+

bump up the multiplier so you run at roughly 3000+ speeds. your fsb and memory will stay at the same frequency.remember to watch the heat tho.

Back