• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Worth it to upgrade?

SpANiSH

n00b
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
29
I have been playing around with the idea of getting a new pc for a little while now. My main concern is that it might be better of to wait. Last night my PSU fried after 3 or so years of use, which I will send back on an RMA and get a brand new PSU.

My Current Setup:

Intel Core i7 920 (With Corsair H60)
Asus P6T (1st gen I think)
6GB Kingston Hyper-x Triple Ch ram
EVGA Gtx 480(PCI-E x16)
Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (PCI-E x1)
AverMedia Live Gamer HD capture card (PCI-E x1)
Antec True Power Quatro 1000w (not positive on the exact model, but definitely 1000w).

If i were to get at new PC I would recycle everything that isn't listed (monitor, mouse, kb, etc) as well as the capture card (few months old) and maybe the sound card.

Edit: This computer is used for a lot of gaming and streaming live, as well as Adobe CS photo and video editing etc.
 
Last edited:
What do you do more on your PC? Gaming or Adobe CS photo and video editing etc?

Though assuming that the PSU didn't kill or damage the rest of the PC, I'd say wait until Intel's Haswell CPUs comes out before you do a CPU + mobo + RAM upgrade.
 
I mostly play games. If I had to give it percentages I'd say 75% Games, 10% Internet Browsing, 10% Photoshop, 5% Video editing.

Waiting for the next gen processors would probably be a good game plan.
 
If I were you I would give the cpu and the gpu a decent overclock and then hold out for haswell and nvidia's next gen which at this point shouldn't be to far off.
 
Yeah, I am still not sure why I haven't overclocked anything yet. I do have my processor water cooled to combat the excessive heat of my oven, I mean GTX480.
 
Back
Top