Worth getting a 8800GTX now?

Scotty_SFF

Gawd
I don't upgrade much, but soon im hoping for a new system the one in my sig.

Im not a heavy gamer, i will get into some games, but as i want this system to give me some good performance in Crysis i'm thinking a 8800GTX will be better then a GTS. With rumours saying that G92 cards will be out for November is it worth it?

Main uses for my System will be heavy graphics work, i know a GTX won't do much if anything to my Photoshop performance but, i wan't to be able to Play Crysis @ 1680x1050 with some nice settings and a decent frame rate, along with other games.

Only read snippets here and there, but it seems the G92 will only serve as a replacement for the 8800GTS.

I'll be gaming at the resolution as yourself and on a 8800GTS 640mb. IIRC, the Crysis demo should be hitting the net on Sep 25th. The only logical thing to do is to use that to gauge my performance and upgrade if necessary.

If you're like me and just can't wait (probably like most people), you can always go with eVGA and rest assured knowing that you have 90 days to participate in their step-up program.

If you're like me and just can't wait (probably like most people), you can always go with eVGA and rest assured knowing that you have 90 days to participate in their step-up program.

Pff, you go with eVGA regardless of the 90 day Step-up or not. Their customer service is unmatched.

Upgrade now if you need to, if not might as well wait a bit as prices will only drop on tech based stuff most of the time. And like the other guy said, get EVGA for the step-up in case a better card comes out in nov/dec.

Pff, you go with eVGA regardless of the 90 day Step-up or not. Their customer service is unmatched.

XFX and OCZ have what are arguably better warranties -- they're transferrable, cover all the same stuff, and you can find someone who's had a horrible experience with any one of the big redistributors, be it BFG, XFX, eVGA or any other.

i have the gts right now and its doing what i want at 1920X1080. I would at least get Crysis and then see what happens. you could aways overclock you gts, I did and i think i still have room for more. Hell im sure there will be some benchmarks and see where the gts stacks up. I look at the gtx since mine is even oced more then the gtx.

I've always believed the GTX is the "right card" for most reasonably hardcore gamers. There's certainly nothing wrong with the GTS, but the GTX offers such a tremendous level of performance at what I'd call an appropriate price. The Ultra's a little tougher, but at around $620 these days, it's not a poor purchase, either.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: always buy the best card you can afford. If you can snag an Ultra without making any other compromises, get it.

I'd wait honestly. If you want better performance in Crysis, G92 is probably the way to go.

i have the gts right now and its doing what i want at 1920X1080. I would at least get Crysis and then see what happens. you could aways overclock you gts, I did and i think i still have room for more. Hell im sure there will be some benchmarks and see where the gts stacks up. I look at the gtx since mine is even oced more then the gtx.

...and my GTX is fast approaching 700Mhz. More ROPs. More stream processors. It frustrates me that people seem to honestly believe that forcing the chip to pull more cycles is going to make up for 1/4 of the hardware having gone missing. Can you pull an OC that's stock + 1/3rd?

The GTX is pushing a GTS + 1/3rd worth of shaders (128 vs. 96), ROPs, etc per cycle. Factory OC'd GTSs get up to what, bordering on 600Mhz? 588Mhz, I think, for eVGA's ACS3 KO card, I think is what they call it. (link) Stock clocks on an 8800 GTX are 575Mhz. 588Mhz is an OC literally any GTX can make, no issues at all, so I'll assume that clock speed to keep the math a bit more simple.

At 588Mhz on both cards you're running roughly 3/4ths as much hardware on the GTS per clock. That means that in order to make up in clock cycles what it lacks in hardware the GTS would have to run a 33% OC, or 133% of 588Mhz. That's a 196Mhz OC /from/ 588Mhz, or 784Mhz. Even then the GTS would only be equivalent to the GTX (at 588Mhz) in processing power.

My watercooled GTX runs happily at 676Mhz. A GTS would have to run a 33% OC from 676Mhz to be equivalently fast. That's 225.3Mhz above 676Mhz, or 901.3Mhz. I seriously doubt that's going to happen without liquid nitrogen or phase change, and even then would require a pretty heavy vmod.

I'm going to have to disagree with your math here.

In terms of raw shading performance, the GTX has a 25% raw hardware advantage (32 SPs), plus a 12.5% shader clock advantage at stock clocks (1350 MHz vs. 1200 MHz). Figured in terms of theoretical ops/clock, the GTX can push 50% more shaded pixels per clock than the GTS, assuming that every pixel can be processed in one clock. Ergo, the SPs would have to run at 1800 MHz to be able to match the GTX in shading performance. I'd guess the GTS's core clock would have to come in at around 700 MHz, perhaps slightly more, for the SPs to hit 1800 MHz. Of course, you'd have the advantage of the rest of the hardware (ROPs and scheduling) running at an above-GTX speed, so that's also a factor. I'd think strapping a pelt to the core might be enough to get you there assuming the voltage regulation could hope to keep up, which I severely doubt it could.

Then again, we're living in theory-land here, and the truth of the matter is that a GTS at GTX clocks can, in some real-world cases, come moderately close to GTX performance, but it'll never hope to nip at its heel in the tremendously shader-intensive titles. At 700 MHz, though...one certainly might end up finding oneself in the ballpark.

Haven't had to deal with anyone's customer service except for XFX. Their customer service rep was polite, precise, and got me a replacement within 2 weeks. So unless EVGA gives you a light up pen or something when you RMA, I'd say they're not unmatched. :) Maybe out-matched when you consider XFX's double lifetime warranty.

Does EVGA have a rep on [H]?

I'm going to have to disagree with your math here.

In terms of raw shading performance, the GTX has a 25% raw hardware advantage (32 SPs)

Actually, it would have a 33% raw hardware advantage, as it is 96 on the GTS * 1.33 = 128.

Back