Worst RTS ever!

1TMF26

Weaksauce
People had alot of different views on the Best RTS ever?! thaught id see what people thaught the worst RTS(s) ever! was. The games i dislike-

AOE (all)
SW Gallactic battleground
America
Rome total war
Warcraft
Battle Realms

um so what do you like? you listed some of the best rts games ever made.

There's a difference between the worst RTS ever and games you just don't like. While I personally am not a fan of, say, Age of Empires, doesn't mean I think its the worst RTS ever. I will acknowledge that it's a good game. I can't even think of a game right now that I would call the worst ever.

I thought Dawn of War was decent at first. After playing it more, I have to say that I think it is one of the worst, and a disgrace that so many people seem to think it is great.

Also, Peremiter was a huge let down. Innovative, yes, but still horrible.

Json23 said:
I thought Dawn of War was decent at first. After playing it more, I have to say that I think it is one of the worst, and a disgrace that so many people seem to think it is great.

What, if I may ask, dissapointed you so much in Dawn of War?
I agree it lacks a depth to the strategy most RTS fans will miss; more of the old school C&C or Starcraft approach with fast paced action and carnage in place of real strategy and forethough. But I've always though it accomplishes its idea as a fast action RTS very well.

Worst RTS ever?
Empire Earth before the first patch. AI was mindless and incompotent (and that's generous), multiplayer had more than half the ages terribly unbalanced. Just unplayable at release.

There are a plethora of terrible games out there, but EE is my favorite 'everybody knows and likes' game to bad mouth.

Lol how is Warcraft in that list? W/o Warcraft, there is no Warcraft II or III, much less Starcraft. Without Blizz, there is a big hole in the RTS universe.

Of course, lemee guess where you're going...are you a Bungie/Myth fan? I've seen alot of Myth players who have this 'Look at my, I'm against the world attitude' just cuz they don't like WC/SC universe.

1TMF26 said:
People had alot of different views on the Best RTS ever?! thaught id see what people thaught the worst RTS(s) ever! was. The games i dislike-

AOE (all)
SW Gallactic battleground
America
Rome total war
Warcraft
Battle Realms

Well if you pick AOE and RTW and Warcraft it would seem that you just aren't going to ever like an RTS. Those three games really are the three different types of RTS games you're going to see.

You also didn't list any reasons why you don't like these games... You just listed them... So what good does this thread do us?

It's one thing to list a game like Alexander because it was pretty much universally accepted as a piss poor game...but to list games that have been universally accepted as some of the greats and give not one single reason why... seems odd to me.

And since I brought it up... Alexander would have been nice if it actually utilized the military strategy it talks about and claims matters... But in the end you just need more people than the other army.... and there's not much in terms of micromanagement.

I agree it lacks a depth to the strategy most RTS fans will miss

Exactly why I don't like it like. Isn't that what an RTS is all about? STRATEGY? Why would you want to play a game that involves less strategy options than in other average RTS games?

And since I brought it up... Alexander would have been nice if it actually utilized the military strategy it talks about and claims matters... But in the end you just need more people than the other army.... and there's not much in terms of micromanagement.

That is why my vote went for Dawn of War. Whoever has the most/biggest units wins.

I've never been fond of AoE either, but worst ever is pushing it. I have played some truly awful ones, shame I can't remember the name of even one. (But imagine the dregs of the '90s and I'm sure you can come up with something.)

Dawn of War was a bit flat, agreed.

Can I nominate the netcode for the later C&C games as the worst I've ever been subject to?
(The games themselves are fun, but generals manages to make a two-player game on computers far above the recommended spec, on a 100Mbit network, drag like little else the few times it doesn't crash.)

I think you're going a bit overboard to say all AOE, Rome:TW, and Warcraft were the worst ever. They may not have been the best or everyone's cup of tea, but they certainly weren't the worst.

I'm going to have to put my vote in for WarGames as worst RTS ever. Biggest waste of cash ever on a game in the late 90s - it didn't even have any tie-in to the movie and AI sucked.

I'd have to say the worst RTS ever was Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds. That thing was horrid.

I'd have to say that I am not a hardcore RTS fan by any stretch. I'll either really like a game or I'll hate it. If I don't really like it, I won't play it very long.

Examples of RTS's I like

Star Wars Empire at War
Dawn of War
Command and Conquer Generals
Command and Conquer 2 Tiberian Sun
Command and Conquer (The original)
Command and Conquer Red Alert 1 (2nd was ok, but I didn't get into it.)
And of course, StarCraft
Dune II The Battle For Arakis
Dune 2000

RTS's I didn't like.
AOE series. (I liked none of them)
Warcraft (Didn't like any of them either.)
Rise of Nations
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (One of the worst games ever.)
Total Annihilation

The ones I didn't like, I just couldn't get into for whatever reason. Not sure why, many of those are very popular titles.

It's interesting that you like starcraft but neither warcraft 2 nor 3, since starcraft is the evolutionary step between them. (Put WC3 in the engine of WC2, and you would have something not very unlike starcraft.)

Does anyone else feel cramped by the camera in WC3, btw? I always want to pull it roughly twice as far away as it will go.

Json23 said:
That is why my vote went for Dawn of War. Whoever has the most/biggest units wins.

In what RTS games is that not the case?
I guess there are games like Blitzkrieg where there is no resource management, but in basicly every game where resource gathering occurs, he who has the bigger resource pile (and therefore, the most units) wins. It's not a failing of the game, but of the failing of the player to allow some one to amass such a stock pile.
I agree that a game shouldn't (and doesn't, even in Dawn of War) hinge on having a few extra units in that first battle, but if you're consistently getting out resourced and going into fights short handed you should lose the game.

Some games have the units balanced in a way that means a large group of any one unit will have problems. There's also the unit cap solution, of course.

While this doesn't remove the effect completely (and it shouldn't), it does require a bit more planning if you want to win.

HHunt said:
Does anyone else feel cramped by the camera in WC3, btw? I always want to pull it roughly twice as far away as it will go.
Blizzard stated months before it's release that it was purposely designed like that to emphasise the micro-management in the game. A larger view would simply have made it feel more natural to build as many units as possible and just throw them against the enemy.
Be thankful the camera is as it is. It was pulled back 30% more or something like that about 3 weeks before the game went gold.
JRPereira said:
Dark Reign?
I can agree with this.
Sir-Fragalot said:
RTS's I didn't like.
AOE series. (I liked none of them)
Warcraft (Didn't like any of them either.)
Rise of Nations
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (One of the worst games ever.)
Total Annihilation
I didn't dislike the AOE series, but it wasn't exactly a game that kept me coming back for more. I think it was too slow, and was just far too centred on advancing technology as much as possible. There wasn't a gradual buildup of forces for each technological advantage, it was just "harvest-tech hard-zerg army". Win one, you've won them all.
I find it difficult to believe you didn't like Warcraft, though. I never got to play W1 online or against a friend, and I still enjoyed myself immensely. I still miss the mages in that.
RoN and SW:GB I thought were terrible, too.
Total Annihilation wasn't all that great, either. Really had to be playing on a custom map with people you knew...and how often could that even happen back in the dial-up days? :p

Star Wars - GB was horrible
Rise of Nations i thought was horrible as well.

banGerprawN said:
Total Annihilation wasn't all that great, either. Really had to be playing on a custom map with people you knew...and how often could that even happen back in the dial-up days? :p

Yeah they're online/game-matching system was terrible, especially if you compare it to how successful Bnet was. Add that there was no easy way of making sure people had the same units at you...ah well. The game was still pretty revolutionary in it's day. Heck, I still listen to the soundtrack b/c it is probably still one of the best I've heard.

Here's hoping Supreme Commander can improve/eliminate on all the deficiencies =D.

Json23 said:

That's simply not true. I've played lots of DOW; it has an excellent tatical style gameplay. A good player can micro manage and dance a poor player with more units with ease. You can say it lacks over arching strategy, but unit spam is not a real problem in that game.

I don't know about the worst RTS, but AOE3 is disappointing. It's a step back from AOK. No real formations, you can't lock gates, it just seems a bit dumbed down to me.

MonkeyShave said:
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms

Hehe, that's what no Chris Taylor can do to a game company...*cue Recycle Bin sound*

Lets just get this straight. Rome Total war is NOT an rts. It is a turn based game last time I checked (same as civ series) and that would have been today. Anyways if you dodnt like the game then thats fine. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinions even if they are wrong. ;)

Anyone stating that AoE2 is bad will get a banhammer request filled by me. The exception is AoE3 (mainly because I didn't have anything to do with that title and it shows).

Actually, Dominion was pretty bad.

Starwars galataic battlegrounds was horrible. I liked the idea of Rise of Nations but it sucked that it was sooooooo short

1TMF26 said:
ok ok if i were to pick the worst, it would be Battle Realms

I liked battle realms. It was a neat concept, being able to cross train units. It was rather poorly executed, but overall it was enjoyable.

Rome : TW *IS* is a RTS. It is only turn base in the campaign map, but once you attack someone, the main game begins and it turns into a RTS where you can control your units, etc.

banGerprawN said:
Blizzard stated months before it's release that it was purposely designed like that to emphasise the micro-management in the game. A larger view would simply have made it feel more natural to build as many units as possible and just throw them against the enemy.
Be thankful the camera is as it is. It was pulled back 30% more or something like that about 3 weeks before the game went gold.

I can agree with this.

I didn't dislike the AOE series, but it wasn't exactly a game that kept me coming back for more. I think it was too slow, and was just far too centred on advancing technology as much as possible. There wasn't a gradual buildup of forces for each technological advantage, it was just "harvest-tech hard-zerg army". Win one, you've won them all.
I find it difficult to believe you didn't like Warcraft, though. I never got to play W1 online or against a friend, and I still enjoyed myself immensely. I still miss the mages in that.
RoN and SW:GB I thought were terrible, too.

Really I think it's because I am too much of a Sci-Fi guy, I don't enjoy the genre of titles like Warcraft and the like.

Torgo said:
Anyone stating that AoE2 is bad will get a banhammer request filled by me.

Did you mean "filed" by you, as in you would submit a ban request if someone didn't like the game? or a ban "filled" by you.

Do we even do bans on request? :D

johnnq said:
top of all time
age of empires 2
warcraft 3
starcraft

I hear ya on WC3, they made the game all cartoony and goofy, much different than the bloodier and more brutal previous versions.

tacosareveryyummy said:
Lets just get this straight. Rome Total war is NOT an rts. It is a turn based game last time I checked (same as civ series)
Did you even play it for more than four minutes?

Because when you're actually fighting a battle, you're certainly not "taking turns"... It is, in fact, in real time :rolleyes: .

MrFace said:
I hear ya on WC3, they made the game all cartoony and goofy, much different than the bloodier and more brutal previous versions.
To be fair, WCII was pretty cartoony as well... but WC3 certainly didn't pull it off as well.

You could also autoresolve all battles. Rome: Total War is not a RTS.

Im not really giving this game a fair chance since i didn't play it for much more than 20 hours, but im going with Empire Earth. I guess i quit playing altogether when i droped an ATOMIC BOMB ON A STONE TOWER and it was still there. I might have hit it with two nukes, but I cant remember anything that happened after the failed nuclear attack.

Back