Worst q6600 G0 overclock ever?

TheDarkTao

Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
800
I don't know what to say.

I just "upgraded" and was excited to get a q6600... G0 stepping and all :D But screw that :(

Max OC I can get out of it is 2925.... WTF???????? :mad:


Ok, I have adjusted multiplier, all the settings, jacked up the voltage all the way to 1.55 (just for a 3 times to see if it would help, and it did not). I have re-seated the CPU cooler (koolance exos) I have played with linked and unlinked, even flashed my bios... Can anyone give me any advice, this is such a huge massive gigantic let down (my e6300 I could get orthos stable at 3.35... and it was a funky chip) with the 7 instead of 9 multiplier, so this just makes no sense....

Seriously, HELP ME PLEASE!!!! :(

Specs: Asus p5n-e bios version 0608, Thermaltake 750 psu, 2gigs firestix d9, koolance exos on the NB and CPU, evga 8800gts 640, 2x WD500KKS HDD, 74gig raptor, SB audigy 2, linksys wireless card, plextor dvd-rw..... Good airflow and wire management...


So help for the love of god!
 
Maybe you got unlucky and got a Q6600 that can't go over 3.0Ghz.
 
thats impossibld all Q6600's can hit 3- 3.2 ghz easy as getting some pie.
 
It's not impossible, just improbable.

Oh I forgot to ask, what are your temps?
 
don't be stupid.

you can't EXPECT anything other than 2.4Ghz from your chip.

2.9Ghz is still a nice overclock for a QUAD core chip.

You just happened to get unlucky and be on the low end of the spectrum of overclocks with G0 stepping chips.

You have 4 cores and 8Mb of cache, one or some of those millions of transistors probably just doesn't like going that high. Could be a FSB problem on the chip itself. With a different multiplier that chip might have hit 3.0+ Ghz.

Or maybe you have some other weak component, like the PSU etc, that can't handle the high clocks.

Anyway, be happy. 4 x 2.9Ghz Core 2 processors is the shit still!!
 
Yeah, I'd try dropping the multi to 8 or even 7, and see where that gets you. You certainly memory that's capable of (likely) 500 MHz or more (I'm assuming you have the pc6400 Firestix).

You might get some good suggestions from others, as far as the BIOS settings go, if you either post what you've done, esp the memory timings & voltage settings and what not, or if you've got a digi cam posting pics of the same.

Also, while not a bad PSU, have you checked the voltage on the rails @ both idle and load (pref on a digimeter, not Windows software)? Or perhaps your motherboard is giving a horrendously bad vdroop (more than seems usual), thus castrating your over clock?
 
Do you have a P35 motherboard that you could test your cpu with? What are your temps right now with current setup? Something is holding you back and it's probably not your CPU, although some chips are duds when it comes to OC-ing which is why YMMV.
 
Divide and conquer to make sure something else isn't limiting the overclock. Lower your RAM divider and use a 9x CPU mulitplier to make sure your RAM and FSB aren't limiting you. The maximum voltage you should be using it 1.4V to get to 3.0GHz. BIOS updates are also a very good thing to look into.
 
Ok guys, I figured out the problem. It was the mobo, and it finally died. It was just dying slowly. WORST MOBO I HAVE HAD SINE THE 300a days! :mad: I have had 3 now (returned and RMA) These things blow. I got a gigabyte p35-ds3r and it works like a charm :D


But I have quite a serious problem now... I got into windows, had to reinstall some drivers, but it all worked fine. Only problem is since I was using nvidia raid, I now used the gigabyte version... So I used my same two 500gig drives and tryed to use the build it raid, and for some reason now my 74gig raptor (OS drive) and bot 500gig drives show as if the are new and formated (no I did not format) I think I totally fucked up :eek:


I thought I could just make a new raid array out of the drives and it would work fine. Or at least the C driver would not be affected. But for some reason they all show as if they are new and have no data on the. I have pictures, important ones of family and friends that I only had backed up on the raid array, and many business files, videos, music, and of course my hours into bioshock save files :eek::eek::eek:


In all seriousness I am totally panicing, just imagine losing EVERYTHING on your comp, and both your back-up drives!


I tryed running repair from the vista CD but no good. Does anyone have any idea of what might help!!! I could really use some help. I cannot figure out what to do, this is a total fucking nightmare, thats ASUS I will definately use your boards again :mad:
 
lol at least you got the overclocking problem sorted. What RAID setup are you using with the drives? Are you doing a RAID 0 with the two 500GB drives? Cus you can't keep the data when setting up a RAID 0, and often, doing it with other forms of RAID can be either very confusing or they can go wrong easily.
 
Good to hear you solved your overclocking problem. RAID issue could be drivers ?
 
Sure you got the drives hooked up in the same order as before?

Still... the RAID software might be a bit different and not actually be able to see the data on the old RAID array.

What about setting up Windows on a single drive and slaving a backup drive as a regular drive to see if you can see the data on it from Windows?
 
Working on that right now. What happend was the gigabyte raid took all the data from all three drives and dumped it onto one of the 500gigs.

So I installed windows on the other 500 gig drive, but windows wants me to format the other 500gig drive.

I used file scavanger and it found all the data :D

Now I just have no frickin idea how to pull the data off the drive since vista insists that I format first.


Anyone have an idea how I could get the data off without formatting?
 
Your problem is your motherboard. Get a p35, x38 or 680i a1 board, to get decent overclock on quads.
 
it could be simply a dud mobo. I have a q6600 B3 that would NOT overclock worth a crap with an evga 680i A1 board and swiftech apogee GT / MCR320 triple rad and AS5. The board was setup properly and tweaked with for almost a month, I changed every single bios setting available and conferred with many other 680i users, and I've oc'd for years on over 10 different platforms. Long story short, I know what I'm doing.

I swapped the mobo for another 680i, and magically 3.2ghz at "auto" voltage is working great (its running around 1.36v after vdroop). On the old mobo, I raised the spp, mcp, spp<->mcp, fsb, and cpu voltages to their near maximums with no luck whatsoever.

I imagine this B3 will have no problem doing 3.6ghz or higher even, since it has no problems booting to 3.6ghz at stock voltage and running benchmarks and such before crashing on the old motherboard. I have yet to try the new one at high OC's.
 
Back
Top