Worst 5900X CCD ever?

Seems like I got really unlucky with one of the CCD's on my 5900x.

Using a NZXT X63. Running pump and fans at around 50-60%, but no difference at 30% or 100%. Tried to reseat the cooler 4 times in different orientations, but always the same.

This is running at locked 1.256V (1.3V in bios with LLC at 2) running Cinebench R20.

CCD1 is running locked at 4.3Ghz and at a whopping 95°C
CCD2 is running at 4.7Ghz and doing ok at 84-85°C.

I can max overclock CCD1 to 4.4Ghz at 1.3V with highest LLC setting. It hits 100°C at this setting.
CCD2 can do 4.75ghz at same voltage and sitting just below 90°C.

Have you guys ever seen a CCD this bad before?

1606030317513.png

Why are you running with manual voltage? I would not be running manual voltage or any kind of overclock with the cooling you have. As for teh variance between CCD temps, did you try re-mounting the block?

I suggest you try a few remounts if you haven't already and go from there. The chances of a bad mount are more likely than a bad solder job. The dies are soldered so they make quite a good connection to the heatspreader.

Question is, what are you running that makes it hit that temp. Nothing wrong with your cooling ( as you can tell by your CCD2 temps) , just might need more info to diagnose.

Question is, what are you running that makes it hit that temp. Nothing wrong with your cooling ( as you can tell by your CCD2 temps) , just might need more info to diagnose.
This is Cinebench R20 multicore load, but the 10°C difference is there always in multithreaded loads.

If I run PBO "overclock" it's also over a 10°C difference. My problem is the high temps on CCD1. CCD2 seems pretty good.

Also seems to only boost to 4,75ghz in single core loads on Cinebench R20 on CCD1. Seems a bit low.
Is there a way to force it to use CCD2 first?

Are you 100% sure your mounting job on the cooler is correct? I do not like the circular cold plate on these AIO's, but if it were me I would do some pressure testing on your mount.

This is the X62 but similar cold plate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/ch8axt/nzxt_kraken_x62_mounting_on_am4_platform/
Yeah, I've done 4 remounts and the cooler in different orientations. Always the same 10°C difference. Mounting pressure seems good also.

I'll try to change around the standoffs, just to rule out everything.

Seems like I got really unlucky with one of the CCD's on my 5900x.

Using a NZXT X63. Running pump and fans at around 50-60%, but no difference at 30% or 100%. Tried to reseat the cooler 4 times in different orientations, but always the same.

This is running at locked 1.256V (1.3V in bios with LLC at 2) running Cinebench R20.

CCD1 is running locked at 4.3Ghz and at a whopping 95°C
CCD2 is running at 4.7Ghz and doing ok at 84-85°C.

I can max overclock CCD1 to 4.4Ghz at 1.3V with highest LLC setting. It hits 100°C at this setting.
CCD2 can do 4.75ghz at same voltage and sitting just below 90°C.

Have you guys ever seen a CCD this bad before?

View attachment 301806
According to AMD_Robert @reddit, the 5000 series is programmed to the Tjmax. Meaning, at default setting, the cpu will not go beyond 90C.
However, since you are applying the manual settings, this doesn't work.

Yeah, I've done 4 remounts and the cooler in different orientations. Always the same 10°C difference. Mounting pressure seems good also.

I'll try to change around the standoffs, just to rule out everything.
What ended up happening?

I'm returning it.

Not happy with the difference in temps between CCD's and clocks. Remounted it several times and also tried a different cooler, always the same.

I'll report back when I get e new CPU.
Lame overcooking is never guaranteed

Back