worried here! please help!

xnikx

[H]ard|Gawd
core 2 e6600
So i took some peoples advice and reattached my heatsink on my cpu. Reattach it turn on comp; 100*C, 105*c, 110*c, 103*C comp crashes. Reattach 103*C comp crashes. Reattach 55*C. Its ideling around 58*C, 59*C, 60*C it use to idel at 58*C and never go higher. Now im worried during gaming its going to get very hot.. Am i ok still? Its not lower then it use to be but its back to normal.

Also my gfx card hit 69*C still good? 8800GTs

Your GPU temp is fine...

Your CPU temp is still way too high. It should never go on the higher side of about 70c.

Upload some case pics?

Hows your case airflow? That's a BIG open case, so unless your wiring is aweful, you shouldn't be having such high temperatures.

What thermal paste are you using to re-attach the HSF.

What are you using to measure temperatures?

the wiring is pretty bad, but i need alot of wires. I didnt add anymore thermal paste then the one i used to put it on the first time, and idk what one that was, im using Nvidia monitor.

xnikx said:
the wiring is pretty bad, but i need alot of wires. I didnt add anymore thermal paste then the one i used to put it on the first time, and idk what one that was, im using Nvidia monitor.

Thats your problem.

Every time you reattach the heatsink you should first clean the heatsink and the processor with the highest grade Isopropyl alcohol you can get and a lint free cloth. Then reapply the thermal paste as per the instructions for your processor type and try again.

For instructions try going to Artic Silvers website, they have good instructions with pictures which should apply to almost all thermal pastes.

But if you were ALWAYS in the 50's idle, there's definitely a problem

You might need to RMA your chip to Intel.

should i listen to coretemp which say im at 50C or nvidia which says 60?

so im actually at 50C not 60C?

and what it Tjunction? Its at 85C.

on NVIDIA monitor it says im at 68C - 69C but on core temp im still at 52C-51C

Reseating your heatsink is not too difficult. I did it on mine from the stock attachement, and I lost 10-15 degrees (idle-load) using Dynex (Best buy brand, pretty good stuff) thermal paste.
Just make sure you clean ALL of your old paste off with isopropyl alcohol. I use q-tips to clean it and a micro fiber cloth to buff the HS surface and the processor heat spreader.
Put a TINY amount on the HS surface and rub it in with a ziploc baggy on your finger. Wipe off the excess with the microfiber cloth ( you can usually get these way CHEAP at a local eye-glass shop). Apply a rice-grain size glop of paste to your proc when it is in the socket and then seat yoru hs/fan.
Takes about 10-15 minutes, and is definitly worth it if your temps are too high.
leaving the old paste on is a recipe for disaster. It has to be cleaned off. Do this first before RMA'ing your proc. It can save a lot of headache.

As for teh temps on your card, way too high. But given the discrepencies between temp systems, download speedfan, and get a third opinion.
Could it be a bad heat sensor?

do u guys think i should RMA it or get new thermal paste and reattach it? I have 7 days to RMA.

Let me take at shot at something so simple it is often overlooked.

You have reseated your heatsink as you mentioned. Do you have a fan attached to your heatsink or do you have it "passively" attached? (No fan attached)

In case you do have a fan attached have you inspected it for proper operation?

Again, just trying to get the obvious out of the way.

Yes get thermal paste and reseat the heatsink PROPERLY. It should solve most of your problems.

can i just use any thermal paste? i was planning on going up to comp usa tomarrow and getting what ever is there.

Im pretty sure CUSA sells Arctic Silver 5... If not, look for "arctic cooling MX-1" or "Zalman STG-1" pastes.

once i remove the paste thats one how long do i wait before i put the new thermal paste on? Once i put the NEW thermal paste on how long do i have to wait before i can start using my comp? And is there anything else i should know? And how much degrees C do u think the Arctic Silver 5 will lower my temps?

Use some alcohol (rubbing) to remove the OLD paste. You HAVE to do this.

Then put the new stuff on (a tiny glob in the middle, bout the size of a grain of rice) then immediately put the HS back on.

Start up any time you like, as long as the HSF is attached properly.

Modred189 said:
Dynex (Best buy brand, pretty good stuff) thermal paste.

I lol'd

Anyway, re-attaching your heatsink is not hard, you just have to make sure to clean it (like other people have said above me) then spread a thin layer of thermal paste either on the heatsink or CPU (alot easier to spread on the intel heatsink since it does not cover the entire processor). Then you want to make sure that its firmly attached to the mobo.

I was getting 30~35 C temps (E6300) with stock Intel heat sink we i re-sat it with Arctic Silver 5

wait do i put only a lil dot like som1 else sayd or do i cover the hole surface?

One little pebble dot in the middle. It will spread on it's own. Too much work to spread it evenly first. I've always had great results doing it that way. GL :)

what is the paste like that causes it to spread on its own? liquidy or hard?

Hard? All the pastes I've used are the same density as AS5. They all pretty much work the same.

i just dont see how its going to spread. i mean u put the hs on a small dot, the hs surface is pretty big, its not going to completely cover it. could i spread it first with a card or something?

Put a small dot on the top of the processor.

Attach the HSF.

You're done.

There's literally 40lbs of downward pressure between the CPU and the HSF... And the paste turns to liquid when heated above a certain temperature.

No, it won't cover the entire CPU, but the metal part of the CPU is just a "cap" on top of the actual circuitry below... The actual CPU part is really only a square about 1.5cm square... right in the middle of the metal piece.

Picture009.jpg

Only the square in the middle of all the green needs to have paste over it to work correctly.

so can i still play during the break in period? after the break in period is over by how much degrees should it drop?

What is a thermal pad on the heatsink?

Not all HSFs have a thermal pad. Most don't

You can play duyring the break in period

ABout 2'c .

Wait, im only going to lose 2C? Right now it gets to 62 on core temps and 70 on nvidia monitor, this is after i reattached it without adding new paste. Before on nvidia monitor it only got to 58C. What temp should it be after?

EDIT:

And another thing i just thought up. Will i have to change the thermal paste every so often or just if i want to reseat?

Ok im getting really confused and mad.
"Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5 conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity."

What do they mean by severeal thermal cycles? Do they mean, like i sayd before, i will have to keep putting on new thermal paste?

You're making this way too complicated. This is like GROUND LEVEL 0 of computers...

CLEAN OFF OLD PASTE

APPLY THE PASTE

USE YOUR COMPUTER

end.

only replace paste after you remove your HSF.

will my temps atleast go back to 58C instead of 70C? U sayd 2C lower so 56C or 68C?

Back