worried here! please help!

Well, when you apply the paste correctly, your temps will start out closer to 50, and then go down to 48 over a few days.

fantastic, i thought u ment it was going to be like 66C or something.

You are making this a LOT more complicated than it really is.
go to the computer shop and get a tube os Arctic Silver 5 and a bottle of 90%+ Isopopal Alchol.
Clean the old thermal junk off of you cpu and heatsink with the alchol and a coffee filter (unused). You can use a paper towel if you have no coffee filter.
Apply Arctic Silver 5 according to the instructions on Arctic Silvers website.
You new temps will be in the 30's idle and the 40's load.
The above temps will drop by 2-4deg over the nex week as the AC5 cures and sets.
log back on here and tell us how the temps look. JUST DO IT.

wait which one is fine/do u use, the one from compusa or the one i just found?

xnikx said:
will my temps atleast go back to 58C instead of 70C? U sayd 2C lower so 56C or 68C?
HOLY CRAP BRO..........LISTEN :eek: If you cant understand how to apply thermal paste, you really shouldnt be "working" on PC's. First off, completely forget what nvidia says your temps are PERIOD, END OF STORY ;) . Only read coretemp temps.
1. Remove your processor and heatsink/fan
2. Get some rubbing alky, paper towels and remove your "OLD" thermal paste.
3. Use more alky to 100% clean the surface of the CPU, and dont touch the surface with your hands after cleaned 100%
4. Apply what ever thermal paste your using by squeezing a "RICE" drop amount on the center of the processor.
5. Re-apply your heatsink/fan assembly and while your forcing it down on the chip, the thermal paste will spead out for you.
6. Make sure you have pluged in your fan on the heatsink, and fire the bitch up, go into core temp and read your temps. After about 4/5 hours of full throttle useage, the temps will drop another 2/3c.

ALSO Make sure you dont have your CPU Vcore set to AUTO in the BIOS. This could be why your temps are going through the friggin roof.

im not going to do it, my neightbor who builds comps built my comp and will do this for me.

Holy sh!t, I just read through 3 pages of instructions and questions dealing with how to reseat a CPU heatsink and we've still yet to reach a conclusion... wow!

Smoove910 said:
Holy sh!t, I just read through 3 pages of instructions and questions dealing with how to reseat a CPU heatsink and we've still yet to reach a conclusion... wow!
I know isnt this amazing :rolleyes: I am NEVER one to judge anybody without knowing them, but this kid must be a complete moron. I mean, it doesnt take but 2-3 minutes to do what he is asking, and above that, it takes almost no computer skills really either. As long as you can disconnect a few wires, lift the lever on the 775 socket, remove a 2" square metal object (CPU :D ) clean a surface off, and put things back the same way you found them, you really have NO RIGHT TOUCHING ANY INSIDE PART OF A PC ;) Everyone, have a merry X-Mas, even you XNIKX :)

What temps should i be seeing right after i apply my artic silver 5 and boot my comp?

Also i was reading Artics Guide and it says if the heatsink wasnt properly attached it can cause damage in 10 secs. You guys dont think any damage was caused when i didnt attach it right and my cpu hit 100C and crash?

and fuck u newls1

You should have temps in the 30's Idle and prob in the hi 40's load (If you really load it) maybe very low 50's. You prob did not damage your computer fom its couple of short hops to 100deg C.

Not much better.
About 1-2 c better than when you first install the paste.
Still in the 40's load.

xnikx said:
What temps should i be seeing right after i apply my artic silver 5 and boot my comp?

Also i was reading Artics Guide and it says if the heatsink wasnt properly attached it can cause damage in 10 secs. You guys dont think any damage was caused when i didnt attach it right and my cpu hit 100C and crash?

and fuck u newls1
you might want to watch your typage (language) you can get banned for this type of crap. And dont tell anyone to go *uck them selfs, I took 5 minutes out of my very boring day to type out some "how to's" for you, and this is the type of respect I get :rolleyes: Have a very merry Christmas kiddy....

Naw, your processor will be fine. Don't worry about it. As long as it shut down, you're fine. These CPU's are ALOT more resiliant than they used to be.

Sorry for my launage but u didnt have to say what u sayd.

And what do you mean, as long as it shuts down?

Seriously, I posted back on page one, a few days ago. I gave you instructions, simple step by step ones, on how to do what you needed to do. It will bring your temps back down to the mid to high 40's.

Don't worry about the break in period.
Don't worry about if you damaged it.
Don't worry about any of these things you cannot control or have to deal with any way. As long as you are careful, follow my instructions, and take your time, you really cannot mess things up. You'd have to try. The only way it would be easier is if things were color coded.

Just take your time and have fun with it. Doing these kinds of things allow you to learn alot about your system, and how it functions, but you have to have a little gumption about it.
If you were unsure about what to do in the first place you shouldn't have opened the case to begin with. Now you've started, and you have to finish it or your system is toast. It's easy, but you have to get up and do it.

Next time, do your research and question asking BEFORE you crack open that case.
Keep in mind, we've all been before where you are now, so just have some confidence.

just did it

on boot after a min
core temp says high 30s low 40s
nvidia monitor says high 40s

EDIT: Now

Core temp is now Mid 40s
Nvidia Monitor is low 50s

EDIT: Played Half Life 2 Lost Coast
Core Temp didnt go past 47C
Nvidia Monitor didnt go past 59C

will these temps get better?

Congrats, man. Those temperatures are MUCH better!Next step.... getting a new AGP cooler?

is that to cool down the gfx card? if so do i really need it? the highest my temps got on nvidia monitor was 69C. Alot of ppl are at 80C. Plus i dont think i have room for a AGP cooler.

Nice work xnikx. No you don't really need a new graphics cooler unless you want it cooler. Your temperatures are well within the normal range for graphics cards.

Congrats on getting your CPU temps down, and learning something in the process. As someone said earlier, everyone has to start somewhere. Please dont let people who were rude to you in this thread discourage you from learning more about how to build and maintain your own computer. With a little learning it can be a lot of fun, and save you a lot of grief later.

will temps lower?
because core temp is jumping into the 50s.
im not going to listen to nvidia monitor cuz u guys sayd not to.

Definitly ignore the nvidia monitor's temps. try SpeedFan :
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Much better stuff for monitoring temps.

As for teh VGA cooler, i was just joking, offering a next thing to fiddle with! Trust me, there will always be a 'next thing'.

Speenfan says im at 52C and flame sign next to it. Core temp says im at 43C and 44C. I havent started gaming yet. Again, are the temps going to drop more over the next few days?

Now Core temp says 46C and Speedfan says 55C, still havent started gaming.

Speed fan is showing about the same temps as nvidea monitor.

when gaming for not even long its in low 50s for coretemps and high 50s for others.

Your temperatures are well within operating norms for your system. Good work.

Yeah and keep in mind that your cpu and gfx temps will change according to what your room temps are.

my room gets hot because we have heat on. Right now i turned on comp, been a min or so, core temp is low 30s and Speedfan is low 40s. Ill report more guys, im prob gettin oblivion so yah, ill post what happens. thanks for the help guys.

you're running cooler than my system does, that's for sure...
I'm idle at mid to high 30's and full load at around 48 or 49c.
I have a really bad case for cooling though too (atop xblade). I added some fans but the cooling still sucks. I got some more work to do..and another case to buy if my mods don't go as planned ;)

ArcticSilver needs time to "cure" as well... the Thermal cycles they mention on their site, basically means, turn off your computer and let it (CPU) return to room temp.

If you normally turn your computer off when you're done using it, that's fine.... but for those of us who leave our systems on 24/7, you should "cycle" the computer (as per AS)

after about 2 and a half hours - 3 hours of playin oblivion on max settings i quit and temp for cpu on speedfan was 59C-60C

Back