worlds most flakey mo-bo's

6 years ago I had a Abit BEII slot a board. P3 500.. Most Unstable board when trying to install soundblaster.. never did get that soundcard to work with that board,,

My Biostar M7VIQ with the VIA chipset was pretty terrible. Games constantly locked up. Up until that point though most of my PC experience was flakey/unstable because I wasn't entirely familiar with how everything worked and always owned OEM pc's or pcs without the greatest components. After buying a NF-7 S and 2500-M my entire pc world changed!

Hehe same here, that Abit BE6-II was total crap. Another Abit, NF7-S 2.0... I had this one for only 1 week and then I decided, after being very, very frustrated at nForce2, to quit AMD and go Intel. That i875P is the most stable chipset I have ever owned. Sitting on an Asus P4C800-E, this makes one hell of a combo

Para

Parabellum said:
Hehe same here, that Abit BE6-II was total crap. Another Abit, NF7-S 2.0... I had this one for only 1 week and then I decided, after being very, very frustrated at nForce2, to quit AMD and go Intel. That i875P is the most stable chipset I have ever owned. Sitting on an Asus P4C800-E, this makes one hell of a combo

Para

And oh, if my P4C800-E is under RMA is not because it failed... I, humm, lets say, accidently "killed" it :(

Para

I'd have to say it'd have to be ECS K7S5A.

My G/F (not my G/F) had one of these in her computer (She had bought it from another store. I noticed her XP key began with FCKGW.... Why does that sound familiar?:rolleyes: ). It would run her Athlon 1700+ at 1.1 instead of 1.46. It was also very unstable at 1.1 (Don't even think about trying it at 1.46). Let alone the damn thing wen't through parts worse than a barbeque. I heard that other people had problems with it blowing HDs and PSUs (Surprise).

They started getting interested in upgrading their machine. I told them that the first thing that would have to go would be the motherboard. I showed them 2, the Biostar M7NCD, and the Asus A7V8X (Which was about 20$ more). I told them that I trust the Asus brand a bit more as I've never tried a Biostar motherboard before. They went with the Biostar anyway and it's been a pretty rock-solid machine. Even when they get the damn thing infected with spyware.

lithium726 said:
i believe that was the major pirated xp key that was floating around, and one of the first to be banned by MS

I see sarcasm is pretty rare on these boards :p

Codegen said:
I see sarcasm is pretty rare on these boards :p
the tounge face wouldve helped :(

sarcasm is really hard to pick up in text without a little help, that couldve been a genuine question.. you know when you know youve heard something somewhere and you jsut cant put your finger on it? yeah... lol

lithium726 said:
the tounge face wouldve helped :(

sarcasm is really hard to pick up in text without a little help, that couldve been a genuine question.. you know when you know youve heard something somewhere and you jsut cant put your finger on it? yeah... lol
Like you with your penis :p

well a major (kind of) problem that has been well documented with dfi boards is the vtt tracking. DDR specs call for a variance of 40mv and no more, however the dfi's nf4's vary 200-300mv under certain conditions.

InYearsToCome said:
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (s939 nForce3 Ultra). I have this board, and I know 4 other people who have the exact same issues as I do. The board runs great and fast, but getting it to run without blue screens or random reboots takes lots of time and patience :cool:
Hope I'm one of those people. Heh.

If the motherboard's performance (which was actually relatively fine until I tried updating the BIOS, at which point everything just got shot to shit) wasn't enough to convince myself not to buy from MSI again, their RMA turnaround time definitely is. (23 days, excluding initial shipping)

I should note, though, that I didn't get blue screens or random reboots. My main problem was the Russian Roulette Memory Frequency settings.

Asus A7V.

So bad it drove me back to Intel, costing AMD about 200 systems worth of sales.

Hehe same here, that Abit BE6-II was total crap

Thats funny, if it was such crap, how on gods green earth do I still have one running a P3-600 @ 800 24/7/365 after all these years?
User error comes to mind. The BE6-2 was godlike through and through, and more know that, than not.

Here is the underlying tone of this entire thread: VIA CHIPSETS SUCK ok.

Via on Intel was more painful than masturbation with rock salt and razor blades. Asus P3V4X or some crap like that, Via + Intel, junk, trash, 100% w/o a doubt. Swapped it for the STILL running BE6-2. Following closely behind that, Soyo Dragon P4I, as their marketing put it " the best overclocking board ever ". Ever must have been a short timeframe, with not lots of light to shine in on their cave. Horrible OC'ing board, thought for the life of me it was the chip, replaced with a Abit IT7-2 V2 and its rock solid @ a 50% OC 24/7/365.

The fact remains that the underlying is this in most cases, its not the board, its the chipset the board runs, that really is the determining factor on its quality. If you look, there's a lot of VIA chipset boards in the room. I got systems w/o Via chipsets, and they're godlike in their performance, anything with Via = keeerap.

Oh, and as far as PC Chips, ECS, Amptron go, I usta sell Amptron boards in OEM builds. If they were good outta the box, they were actually pretty nice boards from what I remember. Is that to say that today I would buy one? Probably not, but my experiences with them, overrate my feelings of them, they were not a enthusiast board, but they were stable and did work, in that situation, thats all you care about really. They were either DOA, or they worked great for many years.

i just retired my be6-2 with a 300 oc'd at 454 for the last 7 years. still got a working ibm deskstar too. funny how some have problems and others get a great buy.

The problem I had with the BE6-II is that it was loosing its BIOS settings and no, it was not the battery. If I had to enter the BIOS, I was for sure loosing settings, had to unplug the PSU cord, etc etc. If I had to let it run stock, things were better yeah but... All in all it has been very unstable when i had to toy with the BIOS.

As for the NF7-S, SCSI performance was crap (had a 15K setup at the time). For some reason, my sound settings would change by itself. I was loosing my mouse over the USB ports, etc. Overclocking was very good, I was able to hit 2.3GHz with my 2500+ but aside from this, well, very unpleasant. 1 week after this, I was so sick of AMD (not the CPU, but the motherboards) that i decided to switch over Intel. The X2 is very tempting but I am more afraid of the problems of the motherboards....

Intel is not perfect too, and so is Asus. I had some crappy BIOS from Asus, the 1021 drove me crazy. But all in all, I am more satisfied with this motherboard. One thing is for sure, no more Abit for me.

Para

my ECS M80 LR (a.k.a. ECS K7S5A) Has been very stable for me. However, the external usb connecters on the motherboard don't work, haven't worked, and won't work. I went into the BIOS countless times and turned the USB on, but still nothing. Ticks me off...

isnt it funny (not in a ha-ha-ha way) that some 1970s hewlett packards are still crusing fine, and many 1980s computers which havent been thrown out, still work fine?

But a gateway/Comcrap/dell computer made in the past 5 years seem to die out like flies.

quantity/quality me thinks.

MSI K7T. Problems with PCI latency when put under load, leading to crackling noises with any soundcard. Bug in voltage circuit which would seemingly randomly deliver the wrong voltage to the CPU, causing it to shut down (sudden black screen, no boot until it had been off for 1 to N weeks).

Many motherboards with the 686B VIA Southbridge for Socket 7 had stability issues.

ASUS P4R8000-VM.
Had to end of problems with this board, even for a low-end browsing system. BSODs, lockups, no POSTs, RAM incompabilities, etc etc. I will never buy any more low-end ASUS boards. High-ends however are simply awesome. :) Might have just have gotten a dud.

Asus A7N8X-400/VM

The nforce 2 chipset with onboard gf4 mx. Had about 6 systems with these boards, all but 1 we had to replace with something else, even after rmaing them and getting new ones.. same issues.. random reboots, screen would go black, lockups etc. Never had issues with the A7N8X / Ultra / Deluxe models.

JSF35rhino said:
ever hear of matsonic ? or is it masonic ?-
Yes. 2nd in line behind PCChips. Poor support, performance and reliability through much of their line. I do have to say a couple of models of board I did not have a problem with.

Ice Czar said:
Iwill KA266R
Never had a problem with that board. Sold about 30 to 40 of them which quite a few are still in service. What problems did you have.

flakiest board I've ever used? An asus p3c2000, FTW. Had that notorious i820 + rambus convertor chip in order to run 4 x 168 pin DIMMS. Hands down, the pickiest board about memory EVER. You had to put the memory in a certain order for it to work. IIRC dimm 1 had to be the biggest stick, dimm 2 had to be < or = to dimm 1, and I forgot the crazy rules for 3 and 4. Getting it to run with more than 1 stick of ram was hard, more than 2 was practically impossible.

BTW just to clarify, then notorious 686B SB was a socket A SB that paired with kt133/kt133a and their million different revs.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
flakiest board I've ever used? An asus p3c2000, FTW. Had that notorious i820 + rambus convertor chip in order to run 4 x 168 pin DIMMS. Hands down, the pickiest board about memory EVER. You had to put the memory in a certain order for it to work. IIRC dimm 1 had to be the biggest stick, dimm 2 had to be < or = to dimm 1, and I forgot the crazy rules for 3 and 4. Getting it to run with more than 1 stick of ram was hard, more than 2 was practically impossible.

BTW just to clarify, then notorious 686B SB was a socket A SB that paired with kt133/kt133a and their million different revs.

sounds like my DFI on the ram. Except that with the DFI once the ram was in, if you ever removed it from the slot it would never work again.

Back