World's Largest Photograph is 70 Gigapixels

Saw that earlier (meaning the info) and have been trying to look at the image for the past 2 hours but, the "story" hit most tech sites at about the same time so I'm sure that hosting is getting raped up, down, backwards, forwards, and every which way in-between so... I'll check it out in a few days.

70 billion pixels... amazing stuff.

Let's see here... gotta find Waldo... a naked couple humping in a hotel window... Obama someplace... etc. :) Those big images and finding stuff in 'em are turning into memes. hehe

I actually found Steve meeting some Hungarian dude in an alley in this one. He had a piece of paper in his hand so I zoomed in. It was a contract to hack the forums! The conspiracy continues.

Wow. On first viewing, to the left of the city there's a communications tower that looks like a lighthouse... the detail is incredible and there's a worker on there... say cheese. I also like the leaf detail on trees by the little clearing so far away.

In the (relative) foreground there's the tallest hotel (aparthotel), down at the base there are cars and I can just make out the license plates. Cripes.

Ok someone let me know when the "easter eggs" are found in that picture, like the unsuspecting busty woman drying herself off after a shower :D

Maybe I'm just a dumb ass, but I really don't think a bunch of smaller pictures stitched together to make a photograph is really worthy of being acclaimed or given any record.

Though, I suppose there is some skill in getting the geometry right, as a lot of panoramas have major dimensional issues. I can still see blur lines in the 70MP compilation. But it's much better than what I'm used to seeing.

So, I suppose some props are due.

Much smoother to navigate than previous large pictures I've viewed. Looking forward to these getting bigger and better. I think they're pretty fun.

I just copied and pasted it 3 times and made a 210 gigapixel photo record goes to me

Gives me an idea for my next project.

"The center of a Black Hole - 100 terapixels".

With the right compression it would end up being under a kilobyte in size since it's purely black.

100$ if you can find the guy reading a paper

?

27zizxw.jpg

Didn you know? Those cameras come standard in every street corner. That's why the CSI guys can zoom in all they want.

I couldn't help but laugh, just imagining a 71-gigapixel Polaroid instant camera...

Maybe I'm just a dumb ass, but I really don't think a bunch of smaller pictures stitched together to make a photograph is really worthy of being acclaimed or given any record.

Though, I suppose there is some skill in getting the geometry right, as a lot of panoramas have major dimensional issues. I can still see blur lines in the 70MP compilation. But it's much better than what I'm used to seeing.

So, I suppose some props are due.

I agree. This is neat, but it isn't a 70gigapixel picture but a bunch of smaller pictures put together to form a larger one. Like people have asked, how many gigapixel is google earth and bing maps and other similar things like that? they are no different than this.

I agree. This is neat, but it isn't a 70gigapixel picture but a bunch of smaller pictures put together to form a larger one. Like people have asked, how many gigapixel is google earth and bing maps and other similar things like that? they are no different than this.

And how many artifacts, mismatched colors, and all kinds of other problems show up in those images? Tons of stitching errors all over. It just doesn't look very impressive. This image at first glance appears to just be a giant single picture without blatantly obvious stitching errors. In fact, even combing through the image manually I wasn't able to find those kind of ghost images where a car drove by and you get half of it in the shot.

Anyone can stitch together a panorama or a bunch of satellite images in a half-assed manner. This is not half-assed.

This article mentions some specific info about how the picture was made:

"two 25-megapixel Sony A900 cameras fitted with 400mm Minolta lenses and 1.4X teleconverters, a robotic camera mount from 360world that got the shooting done over the course of two days, and two solid days of post-processing that resulted in a single 200GB file — not to mention a 15-meter-long printed copy of the photograph for good measure"

And how many artifacts, mismatched colors, and all kinds of other problems show up in those images? Tons of stitching errors all over. It just doesn't look very impressive. This image at first glance appears to just be a giant single picture without blatantly obvious stitching errors. In fact, even combing through the image manually I wasn't able to find those kind of ghost images where a car drove by and you get half of it in the shot.

Anyone can stitch together a panorama or a bunch of satellite images in a half-assed manner. This is not half-assed.

I won't disagree that they did a good job. But it still isn't a single picture. Can people start selling 4MP cameras as 16+MP by cliaming that you can take multiple pictures and combine them into one?

They just got luckly here with no half images or anything like that. I want to say that the last Gigapixel pic that was shown on here had a few number of those found (not very many, but i want to say there was 1 or 2 that were found). But regardless of how good a job they did, it still is hard to call this a single pic when it was put together from multiple smaller pics. Next week this person could setup the cameras again, take pictures a little further to either side and have a "larger" pic.

This article mentions some specific info about how the picture was made:

"two 25-megapixel Sony A900 cameras fitted with 400mm Minolta lenses and 1.4X teleconverters, a robotic camera mount from 360world that got the shooting done over the course of two days, and two solid days of post-processing that resulted in a single 200GB file — not to mention a 15-meter-long printed copy of the photograph for good measure"

Good lord! Did it say what PC specs they used?! My PC's already struggling with 50 pictures on the stitching software. What'd they use for an actual photo editor???

Omfg this is so amazing ive never seen this in my life. Idk sounds weird but i smiled when i zoomed in all the way into like a house 5 miles away. That is just stunning.

Good lord! Did it say what PC specs they used?! My PC's already struggling with 50 pictures on the stitching software. What'd they use for an actual photo editor???

They did say it took them 2 days. but i would guess they used a server with a lot of processors and a LOT of memory especially given that the final result was 200GB in size.

http://360world.eu/en/services/gigapixel-images.html

There are on the site they talk a little about how they make these. They just say they use high end computers and cutting edge software.

given they had microsoft's name on the top of page with the image, maybe they use microsoft's panorama software.

Back