World of Goo - Name your own price

$2.50 to start. i figure that if it is worth more, I will at least double that, but I wanted enough to show support, even if I don't find it fun.

Ditto, I did find its worth at LEAST $2.50... but I'd have to say its probably the best 2d game since the original WORMS game started

I sent them my $10. I had no problem downloading it, so the servers probably aren't being pounded anymore.

Bumping this thread to remind people that this 'sale' ends tomorrow on the 19th!

Breakdown of purchases, via 2D Boy

worldofgoosales.jpg

I sent them my $10. I had no problem downloading it, so the servers probably aren't being pounded anymore.

Bumping this thread to remind people that this 'sale' ends tomorrow on the 19th!

Actually, it now says on the site that it ends October 25th. :cool:

OMG this game is so fun, i bought it weeks ago during one of the steam sales, and I am just now playing it.

If you are an engineer type personality, or just like playing with things such as legos as a kid you need to play this game.

Just glancing at it without breaking the calculator out, it's at least $80,000 I'd say.

Someone posted on SD posted this.

Since the birthday sale started, about 57 thousand people bought World of Goo off our website. The average price paid for the game was $2.03 a significant percent of which went to PayPal for transaction fees. Normally, they keep about 5% of the revenue, but because PayPal fees are structured in a way that they take a larger percentage for smaller transactions, we ended up paying over 13% in transaction fees. For all purchases of around 30 cents and under, we actually saw no money, PayPal took it all, but they probably ended up losing money on most of those transactions ($0.01) as well, they’re not the bad guy.

it went from really sad to disgusting when reading that

But think of it from the "glass is half full" perspective: 2dboy made about $100k after transaction fees that they normally wouldn't have, due to this sale. Granted, there might have been some folks who would've bought the game anyway at a higher price than what they paid during the sale.

Boo fucking hoo. They just made $100,000 in one week by hosting a sale that cost them NO overhead.

But think of it from the "glass is half full" perspective: 2dboy made about $100k after transaction fees that they normally wouldn't have, due to this sale. Granted, there might have been some folks who would've bought the game anyway at a higher price than what they paid during the sale.

Thats the way i look at it.
In my opinion this sale worked well, as it got me to buy a game I otherwise never would have bought.

Had it not been for this sale, I wonder how many months or years it would have taken them to raise that kind of revenue on what is an old little game.

Thats the way i look at it.
In my opinion this sale worked well, as it got me to buy a game I otherwise never would have bought.

Had it not been for this sale, I wonder how many months or years it would have taken them to raise that kind of revenue on what is an old little game.

The way i see it is, they made some money, but not enough to fund the development of a new game, that means this sale is nothing more than a test to see how people guage the value of their purchases.

Says a lot for people doesn't it? $0.01 please,

gar! I cant dowload it!, keep on getting a error!
The Birthday Sale has made our poor little server VERY busy. Try loading this page again in a few minutes, or even a few hours later if you want to be extra nice while we scramble to get more mirrors up. Thank you, from both the 2DBOYS!

Not an entire game, but with current development costs, and a good product out there the amount they made doesn't do jack for them

You are so mistaken, it's not even funny.

Scenario 1: No sale. Very weak sales of World of Goo over a 2 week period, no money spent by 2dboy.

Scenario 2: Sale. Huge sales of World of Good over a 2 week period, over $100,000 made, no money spent by 2dboy.

Can't believe you aren't getting this.

You are so mistaken, it's not even funny.

Scenario 1: No sale. Very weak sales of World of Goo over a 2 week period, no money spent by 2dboy.

Scenario 2: Sale. Huge sales of World of Good over a 2 week period, over $100,000 made, no money spent by 2dboy.

Can't believe you aren't getting this.

Are you even taking into account the extra bandwidth and mirrors they are thowing up, i see taht 100K dwindling down real quick.

Didn't 2dboy file chapter 11?

Free market principle number 1: the product is only worth what the consumer will pay.

Actually a Product can be sold at most what the customer believes it worth.

If the customer can get the product for less than its worth, he'll take that option.

OMG this game is so fun, i bought it weeks ago during one of the steam sales, and I am just now playing it.

If you are an engineer type personality, or just like playing with things such as legos as a kid you need to play this game.

Your post sold their game for $5. I loved legos....

I bought it originally for $5 on a Steam sell. I spent loads of hours playing it. I wanted a copy to toss on my and my girlfriend's netbooks, so I donated another $5.

I'm amazed that so many assholes sent $0.01.

Bought it also and glad i helped out a little. Fun game well worth the money to use some ti,e to relax.

Thanks for the link. I donated $1 but after playing it awhile it's much better than that. Should have donated $5.

to the guys who donated .01......

you are sick.

they shoulda just made $1 minimum price or .50 cents. probably would have had 95% of the customers and made an extra 30,000$.

Back