• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

World at War/Windows 7 & E6600: CPU Usage @ 100%

I3eyond

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
937
I SWEAR when I was on XP my CPU usage in World at War online was no where near 100%. Is this normal on a standard E6600 @ 2.4ghz stock? It's really killing my FPS...

Are there any CPU bound settings I should turn down so my CPU doesn't bottleneck me so damn badly?

UPDATE: TF2 uses ~95% of my CPU.
 
Last edited:
XP has some issues with this...


dunno.

In Vista/7, on a e6320, CPU stayed around 40% for me, on maximum settings (HD4350, 1024x768. I hadn't had the chance to test it out on anything newer, yet).

In XP, any game I ran, pushed the CPU a bit.
 
XP has some issues with this...


dunno.

In Vista/7, on a e6320, CPU stayed around 40% for me, on maximum settings (HD4350, 1024x768. I hadn't had the chance to test it out on anything newer, yet).

In XP, any game I ran, pushed the CPU a bit.

Hmm, I wonder if the lower resolution makes any difference with the CPU? I run at 1680x1050. That really makes little sense; my CPU is much faster than yours, at least clock speed wise.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes a CPU running at 100% constantly is a sign of a hardware/driver confliction. Are you using official windows 7 drivers for your hardware?
 
Hmm, I wonder if the lower resolution makes any difference with the CPU? ....

yes, lower resolutions rely on the cpu for processing information. The lower you go, the larger the dependence and the more the cpu becomes the bottleneck.
 
Sometimes a CPU running at 100% constantly is a sign of a hardware/driver confliction. Are you using official windows 7 drivers for your hardware?

Let's see--my graphics card drivers are directly from Nvidia's site.

Sound card drivers are up to date.

What else should I look into changing?
 
antivirus. also, got to services (control panel/system and security/administartive tools/services) , and stop and disable anything thats not needed. when you check taskmanager during wow play, is wow using 100%, or is there some other app/apps using cpu cycles?

also, (i guess you would have done it by now tho) that cpu would really benefit from an overclock. iirc, you should be able to run 3ghz with stock hs/f, and stock vcore, maybe a tiny bump to vcore.
 
antivirus. also, got to services (control panel/system and security/administartive tools/services) , and stop and disable anything thats not needed. when you check taskmanager during wow play, is wow using 100%, or is there some other app/apps using cpu cycles?

also, (i guess you would have done it by now tho) that cpu would really benefit from an overclock. iirc, you should be able to run 3ghz with stock hs/f, and stock vcore, maybe a tiny bump to vcore.

What do you mean by Anti-Virus? I have AVG Free running constantly, for some reason there's no option when I right click it on the taskbar to exit out of it. Sidenote: I disabled it through task manager.

The original posting was about COD:W@W, not WoW.

I have 75 running processes BTW. This seems like a fuck ton compared to XP. Is this normal? There are only 25 visible, however.

When I make all of them visible, I notice there are 15 instances of svchost running. Normal?
 
Last edited:
pretty much. anything else using cpu cycles whilst you play?

Attached is a screenshot of when I was in the lower 40 FPS, where I would have been way above 60 when I was on XP.



And with Dolby Digital Encoder turned off:

 
Last edited:
You have iTunes installed... that is -10fps already. (I hate iTunes :p)

Anyhow, you have a TON of background processes... It should be something more like 30 processes for a normal setup (IMO).

Unless is that is your work computer, too, I'd recommend fresh installing, and test it clean with just WaW installed.

The CPU will not even flinch then.
 
You have iTunes installed... that is -10fps already. (I hate iTunes :p)

Anyhow, you have a TON of background processes... It should be something more like 30 processes for a normal setup (IMO).

Unless is that is your work computer, too, I'd recommend fresh installing, and test it clean with just WaW installed.

The CPU will not even flinch then.

Believe it or not I AM on a fresh install. Formatted and installed 7 the day it came out. :(
 
for a fresh install...
you have:
iTunes (and the three background processes it runs + quicktime)
AVG (MSE is better, IMO, and is also more efficient - less resources used)
HP driver somewhere... (I always didn't like HP drivers... they put way too much crap in them).

you can disable the creative driver... but why?

hold on. I gotta eat now. I'll let this bake over in my head. I'll be back.
 
for a fresh install...
you have:
iTunes (and the three background processes it runs + quicktime)
AVG (MSE is better, IMO, and is also more efficient - less resources used)
HP driver somewhere... (I always didn't like HP drivers... they put way too much crap in them).

you can disable the creative driver... but why?

hold on. I gotta eat now. I'll let this bake over in my head. I'll be back.

It seems with my DD encoding that's pulling 10% of the CPU there.

And my music is a must have, so gotta have iTunes. Gotta have the HP drivers for printing over the network. And I have AVG disabled. If AVG is that big of a deal, I'll just uninstall it completely--If I get a virus, reformatting is as easy as pie.

I'm running DX11. Would that make any difference?
 
Last edited:
Anyhow, you have a TON of background processes... It should be something more like 30 processes for a normal setup (IMO).

lol, I have about that many too. Don't really care as long as they don't eat cpu cycles.

I know I went from a E6420 to a Q9400 and it really helped my online gameplay with COD4.
 
Quad core, WAW and TF2 will thread.

Why am I seeing such high CPU usage? I know for a fact TF2 was in the ballpark of 75% usage....

Is this the fault of 7? Drivers? What's going on here. Getting very frustrated, as every game I play doesn't perform as it used to. :mad:
 
I can tell you that it is not Windows 7, at least for TF2. I have an e6600 as well with Windows 7 and play TF2 all settings maxed with no issue. I play at 1280x1024 with a 7900GS.



Anyhow, you have a TON of background processes... It should be something more like 30 processes for a normal setup (IMO).

Unless is that is your work computer, too, I'd recommend fresh installing, and test it clean with just WaW installed.

The CPU will not even flinch then.

No, 7 has more by default, I am running 69 right now and have barely anything going on. Not a big deal at all as they are not effecting performance.
 
What do you mean by Anti-Virus? I have AVG Free running constantly, for some reason there's no option when I right click it on the taskbar to exit out of it. Sidenote: I disabled it through task manager.

The original posting was about COD:W@W, not WoW.

I have 75 running processes BTW. This seems like a fuck ton compared to XP. Is this normal? There are only 25 visible, however.

When I make all of them visible, I notice there are 15 instances of svchost running. Normal?

i'll bet you $20 its AVG Free running its "daily scan" every time you turn on the computer.

Disable that and see if it help.s
 
i'll bet you $20 its AVG Free running its "daily scan" every time you turn on the computer.

Disable that and see if it help.s

I uninstalled it just to make sure. Didn't help.

You've had several other threads you have started and stated you have a high cpu load. The cpu is the problem especially if your playing online. Been down that road with my E6420 to Q9400.

Either overclock or get a quad. Here is a Q6700 in the f/s section of [H].


I know my CPU is a bottleneck, BUT before when I was on XP I didn't have these poor performances issues, so something has to be going on.

Do you have the motherboard chipset drivers installed?

AFAIK, yes. I downloaded the 15.35 Mainboard drivers from EVGA. I'm assuming this is what I need?


I can tell you that it is not Windows 7, at least for TF2. I have an e6600 as well with Windows 7 and play TF2 all settings maxed with no issue. I play at 1280x1024 with a 7900GS.

No, 7 has more by default, I am running 69 right now and have barely anything going on. Not a big deal at all as they are not effecting performance.

Where is your CPU at in TF2?
 
Why am I seeing such high CPU usage? I know for a fact TF2 was in the ballpark of 75% usage....

Is this the fault of 7? Drivers? What's going on here. Getting very frustrated, as every game I play doesn't perform as it used to. :mad:

TF2 has always been heavy on the CPU. It uses about 60%-70% of my Q9450 at 3.4Ghz.
 
Out of curiosity, what's your FPS during a busy fight on the bridge on 2Fort?

Just played for a bit, didn't get 2fort but sawmill seemed to be the worst map graphically and out in the middle during big fights i would get around 80ish.
 
I've been getting a high cpu usage during some of the more intense play also. Only thing is it's Left 4 Dead; the cpu goes up close to a 100%. I have a E6700.

I think it may be something with W7 because Vista didn't do what I'm experiencing now. I'm gonna try to cut AV processes down but I already have it set on "game mode".
 
Where is your CPU at in TF2?

Hovers around 80-85% on one core, the other is at about 30-40%.

Make sure you dont have multicore rendering on under Video Settings --> Advanced. I just tried that to see if that could be your issue and on my board that maxes out both cores to 100%.
 
Last edited:
I know my CPU is a bottleneck, BUT before when I was on XP I didn't have these poor performances issues, so something has to be going on.

What is your cpu load when sitting idle on the desktop?
Have you tried disabling speedstep and c-states to see if it makes a difference?
 
What is your cpu load when sitting idle on the desktop?
Have you tried disabling speedstep and c-states to see if it makes a difference?

I don't know what either of those things are.

Hovers around 80-85% on one core, the other is at about 30-40%.

Make sure you dont have multicore rendering on under Video Settings --> Advanced. I just tried that to see if that could be your issue and on my board that maxes out both cores to 100%.

I do indeed have multi-core rendering enabled. I will try to see if my FPS improves if I deselect this option. Is this not a good option to have selected or something?
 
Update on TF2: My CPU is no longer maxed out completely now that I disabled multicore rendering. The first core sits at 100%, but the second is anywhere from ~65-75%.
 
AudioDG.exe acts like a "container" for certain companies (creative for example) to put in DSP blocks for audio processing. it should not be using 10%
Just for fun take out the soundbastard and see how cpu use is with onboard sound.
if it becomes better, then you might have to wait for creative to fix whatever it is they screwed up. or there may be a fix already somewhere.
 
Update on TF2: My CPU is no longer maxed out completely now that I disabled multicore rendering. The first core sits at 100%, but the second is anywhere from ~65-75%.

Still a little high, but much better than before.

I have no idea with the multicore rendering, it works like shit on my rig though as well.
 
Just a FYI

In Supreme Commander Forged alliance (quiet possibly the highest hogging CPU RTS atm), Win7 increased the Sim speed by around 20% with approx the same CPU usage on the same rig. I was very pleasantly surprised. I was using the same save game and console command to show sim speed in both XP and Win7. Sim speed is not FPS but how fast the game is running ie units are moving.
 
Just a FYI

In Supreme Commander Forged alliance (quiet possibly the highest hogging CPU RTS atm), Win7 increased the Sim speed by around 20% with approx the same CPU usage on the same rig. I was very pleasantly surprised. I was using the same save game and console command to show sim speed in both XP and Win7. Sim speed is not FPS but how fast the game is running ie units are moving.

Interesting....
 
I'm running DX11. Would that make any difference?

sorry this is a bit off topic, but your running CoD WaW under DX11?

I was under the impression that there were no DX11 cards out yet...or games that supported DX11...
 
I don't know what either of those things are.

They step down the cpu multi when it is not fully loaded to save power. I would assume that it isn't but the OS may be lowering the multi on the cpu and making the load higher than it would need to be if left at max cpu multi.

sorry this is a bit off topic, but your running CoD WaW under DX11?

I was under the impression that there were no DX11 cards out yet...or games that supported DX11...

No, you can only run DX11 games with DX11 hardware. Just because you have DX11 game or hardware doesn't mean it will run in DX11.
 
Back
Top