Workstation (desk) question

mobiux

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 24, 2000
Messages
2,626
I think this is the right place to post this since there is a workstation thread in the gallery.
So here goes...

I am looking at building a large desk in my office, it will be built into the room, basically run along three sides of the room.
I have the design pretty much planned out, the only problem i am running into in construction material.

I plan on tiling or laminating the top for a sturdier surface that just paint so...

Would it be better to build the desktop from 3/4" mdf, or 3/4" plywood?
I know mdf needs to be sealed because of the chemicals released, and it's a lot tougher to cut than plywood. So that's why I am looking at all the options.
But will 3/4" plywood hold up, not warp, under a bunch of computers and monitors?

Thanks for any help.
 
3/4" ply will hold up fine as long as you have the proper bracing underneath. I wouldn't leave 10 feet between braces and expect it to not warp.
 
A few years ago I built some shelves for my sister. She's storing lots of heavy things on them, like 10-gal buckets of wheat, water bottles, etc. I built the shelves out of 3/4" plywood, with 2x2 vertical posts about every 40 inches, with 1x2 firring strips under the front and rear edges of the shelves.

Yes, it was a bit of overkill, but those shelves are *never* going to warp. And they look pretty nice. I just wish I had some pics to post.
 
MDF is just harder to work on because of its weight and density. It's a bear on sawblades. I'd just buy a couple of those new style folding tables with the plastc top they have at Sam's club.
 
Gibroni said:
MDF is just harder to work on because of its weight and density. It's a bear on sawblades. I'd just buy a couple of those new style folding tables with the plastc top they have at Sam's club.

I figured that's why it was harder to work with.
I plan on making some fairly large cuts to give the desk a flowing, "organic" feel.

I figure it will save me $10 every 4x8 sheet just on the materials, not to mention the cost of buying new saw blades all the time.

I think plywood will be the way I go.

Anyone know any decent construction software?
I have hand drawn the desk but I would like to get all measurements down before I start construction.
This is what I have in mind...

desk.jpg
 
mobiux said:
Anyone know any decent construction software?
I have hand drawn the desk but I would like to get all measurements down before I start construction.
Well, optimally you would want Autocad, but that's way too expensive, especially for a one time thing. Try to find an older or eval version of it, or obtain time on a workstation at a uinversity. Alternatively I'm sure someone here can recommend something cheaper. :)
 
You are able to download a trial of sketchup. ( www.sketchup.com )

Sketchup isn't as extensive in options and ability as autocad (atleast i dont think) , but it does that trick for me.
 
Back
Top