Wooden Computer Cases

hm, cheaper to build one yourself. the ones on frozencpu.com
look like antec cases with the cheap vynl presson crap

I think that the design I came up with for my case, will be made of wood, once Im finished making real scalable drawings and stuff I'll show you if you want.

eww wooden computer cases ?

most likely not a good idea if possible. Your motherboard and all sort of has to be grounded and wood isn't very good for that.

I can't imagine a case completely wooden unless it had a aluminum tray inside or something.

I think you are wrong about that. If the motherboard was grounded through the mounting screws, then how would it function in situations like an acrylic case? Or a case with plastic standoffs for the motherboard? I believe that all the components are grounded by the power supply; hence the ground wires in the ATX connector, molex connectors, etc.

I have been thinking about making a wooden comp in wood shop. I should be done with my project soon and I need something else to build :)

I think it would look pretty sweet, just dunno how to design the front bezel.

EDIT: I think I read somewhere that metal cases are overall cooler (colder) than wood? this true?

Originally posted by Wampa
If the motherboard was grounded through the mounting screws, then how would it function in situations like an acrylic case? Or a case with plastic standoffs for the motherboard? I believe that all the components are grounded by the power supply; hence the ground wires in the ATX connector, molex connectors, etc.
Correct. A modern day mobo grounded through the case will not even boot up (safely at least)

I think a wooden case would be a great idea. Get a decent type of wood and try out some paint or stain. I once saw a wooden atx case that had a distressed ivory look. It was disguised as a bench and was even sturdy enough to sit on.

edit: grammar

Yes it is a nice idea, but what type of cooling do you plan to have in there? Wood isn't the best for cases, thermal wise. Tell me, is this for a HTPC?

wooden cases are totally fine. I would recommend solid wood, but veneer is ok I guess :/ Dont worry anymore about heat than in any other case, the wood wont affect it enough to notice, of course, normal forced ventilation is still a must.

Yeah I was planning on putting several fans in it, and building it around good airflow. Might include water cooling for the summer too :)

Originally posted by Finsta
Yes it is a nice idea, but what type of cooling do you plan to have in there? Wood isn't the best for cases, thermal wise. Tell me, is this for a HTPC?
the material the case is made out has very little to do with cooling. UNLESS the hot parts are TOUCHING the case ( using the case as a HS )

The grounding issue has been touched before, every thing does ground through the ground wire->psu->outlet. But as an additional precaution many things ground through the case->psu->outlet as well. They'll still work and all without the metal case, it's just supposed to be back up of sorts. I havn't removed the ground cables from anything though so I don't know how effective it is.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Pico
the material the case is made out has very little to do with cooling. UNLESS the hot parts are TOUCHING the case ( using the case as a HS )
Then again I've heard stories about temps rising from adding Dynomat. Alas, I would thing the parts arn't touching that.

I just saw a "the screensavers" episode where Yoshii made one, he but veneer on plywood, but it still looked pretty damn nice. even made the power button/optical bezel out of wood.

linkage

Originally posted by redhalo
Then again I've heard stories about temps rising from adding Dynomat. Alas, I would thing the parts arn't touching that.
blocked cooling? my case never gets hot enough to be used as a cooling device

Hmmm... As per cooling, might the wood insulate the case better than metal? Thus allowing for increased temperatures if you had insufficient airflow?

Anyway, a wood case is a great idea. I've been wanting to do one myself for a while.

Originally posted by Quester
check out these guys for wooden computer stuff !! crazy Swiss

http://www.swedx.se/

.SE is sweden. switzerland is .cz

but anyhow, i've seen a $400 keyboard made out of maple with the keys and everything in wood. the letters were burned on. it was so well made it was frightening.

Originally posted by hardwired
.SE is sweden. switzerland is .cz

but anyhow, i've seen a $400 keyboard made out of maple with the keys and everything in wood. the letters were burned on. it was so well made it was frightening.

:D :D :D .cz is Czech Republic...

Switzerland is .ch :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks for all your help, but I am not planning on making a wooden case but buying one.

I need one for my Dad's office (which consists of nothing but wooden furniture, walls, fans, etc....).

Do any of you know where I could buy one?

no.. it's real wood.

He cuts his own and over lays it on the case.. he has a nice description of how it is done.. but it's still the real thing.

I personally like the Leather covered Harley case !!

looks like i'm going to lowes to buy some wood:D

hey in the wood pc that yoshi made he use a mini-itx with a built in psu:eek:

there only $180. not bad

VIA EPIA TC

looks like i'm going to lowes to buy some wood:D

hey in the wood pc that yoshi made he used a mini-itx with a built in psu:eek:

there only $180. not bad

VIA EPIA TC

Any one keen on doing a wooden mouse? I'm trying to work out how to do the buttons.

To touch on the grounding issue it isn't required to have a functional computer, but encasing a computer inside metal protects it from outside interference, and reduces the interference it creates.

Back