won't boot from X25-M (noob question)

NeezyDeezy

n00b
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
18
Hi guys, I just picked up an x25-m SSD and I put windows 7 on it. But when I set it to the primary boot drive it says "remove disk or other media and hit any button." Nothing gets past that screen. I don't have any disk in my dvd drive. Any advice?
 
Did you forget to format the SSD??

I think like any hard drive, you need to first format before it becomes usable :X I'm a newbie myself so i'm not too sure how to do this either myself.

The way i did it, was insert into a single external usb hard drive casing, and right clicked the drive from my pc and formated it as NTFS.

You can then shutdown pc, and install it back and it should work i would think :X Oh and remember to install the new firmware that fixes many problems....

Maybe the pros can give you a better solution.
 
Hi, thanks for that advice. I did format it before installing, so I suspect something else is up.
 
What else do you have attached? Any USB thumb drives? Other hard drives?
 
Boot sequence doesn't seem to be the trouble - Intel SSD is set to first boot. Having USB devices connected should matter, should it?

Any other things to try?
 
disconnect everything, try to boot with that drive alone in the system, if it doesn't work, try to boot with an old OS drive (if you have one). Run diagnostics on your SSD (even though the toolbox has been pulled from Intel's website, there's plenty of mirrors to get it from, it only kills restore points which is not an issue in your case). It's either the drive or the SSD, try to isolate the problem and go from there. Did you try repairing windows from the windows' install dvd?
 
Also...I've gotten that error before with a thumb drive attached (I guess it got confused). Depending on what else was plugged in, you might also need to fix the boot record so that it's actually on your Windows drive (I hate it when that gets screwed up)
 
Hi guys, I just picked up an x25-m SSD and I put windows 7 on it. But when I set it to the primary boot drive it says "remove disk or other media and hit any button." Nothing gets past that screen. I don't have any disk in my dvd drive. Any advice?

Did you install then rearrange the drives? If so, you probably screwed up the boot info, so it's looking in the wrong place for the drive. I've seen a number of issues with Windows' boot stuff getting screwed up (either by moving drives around or the installer itself simply putting boot stuff on secondary drives that shouldn't have anything to do with the install), so I've gotten in the habit of having only the target drive connected for the install, plugged into the port it will end up in. Just keep it as simple as possible, and it's less likely to have problems.
 
Also...I've gotten that error before with a thumb drive attached (I guess it got confused).

It does that every time on my P6T....just thumb drives.
 
Yeah remove all other drives, and just have the x-25m plugged in. Then it should work. After that has been established, add the other drives back in one by one.
 
Yeah remove all other drives, and just have the x-25m plugged in. Then it should work. After that has been established, add the other drives back in one by one.

If it is a boot loader issue, you might have to go through the boot repair process with Windows (boot with the DVD in the drive, repair your installation, startup repair)
 
Back
Top