Woman Ticketed For Wearing Google Glass While Driving

HardOCP News

[H] News
By a show of hands, how many of you think that wearing Google Glass while driving is a good idea? I ask because this lady is acting like this is a civil rights violation or something.

A cop just stopped me and gave me a ticket for wearing Google Glass while driving! The exact line says: Driving with Monitor visible to Driver (Google Glass). Is #GoogleGlass ilegal while driving or is this cop wrong???

I thought the law says it has to be installed in the car (not on your face)? Any California law experts here?

What would classified as installation? I wear sunglasses when driving, are those installed on my face?

Google glass is a monitor.

27602. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if a television
receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any
other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or
video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is
operating and is located in the motor vehicle at a point forward of
the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and the monitor,
screen, or display is visible to the driver while driving the motor
vehicle.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.

She's wrong. The cop was right unless she can prove (good luck) that she was using a mapping device or one of the other items listed above. All other such monitors have to be out of sight of the driver, or enabled with a device that turns it off when the motor is running.

Last edited by a moderator:

vehicle.
installed in a vehicle:
(3) A mapping display.

She's wrong. The cop was right unless she can prove (good luck) that she was using a mapping device or one of the other items listed above. All other such monitors have to be out of sight of the driver, or enabled with a device that turns it off when the motor is running.

vehicle.
installed in a vehicle:
(3) A mapping display.

That's bullshit, I use my phone as a GPS and they sell accessories to mount it to the dashboard, what makes google glasses less legal than a phone on the dashboard?

vehicle.
installed in a vehicle:
(3) A mapping display.

Does not apply to a mapping display when installed in a vehicle...

then that means every in car GPS system is illegal

i might also add that using google glass for GPS data is safer then using a on dash display
since you never have to take your eyes off the road

Google glass can be as much a mapping display as a cell phone

You missed the "installed in a vehicle" part. The law (cops) probably interpret that as fixed to the cars structure, not your face or hand. So a cell phone would be fine with the cradle thing, or a GPS unit suction cupped to the dash or windshield although in CA it has to be in the corner.

It was noted in the comments that she was pulled over initially for speeding.

Having GG wasn't the reason she was pulled over, or given the ticket.

You missed the "installed in a vehicle" part. The law (cops) probably interpret that as fixed to the cars structure, not your face or hand. So a cell phone would be fine with the cradle thing, or a GPS unit suction cupped to the dash or windshield although in CA it has to be in the corner.

only thing is google glass is safer then that since to look at any of them you have to take your eyes off the road

see endless numbers of people blindly following bad turn by turn GPS data

"It wasn't on, your honor. No, the officer didn't verify nor question whether it was indeed on or off."

Case dismissed.

and really i think the cop was pissed she might be recording him so came up with this bullshit

It was noted in the comments that she was pulled over initially for speeding.

Having GG wasn't the reason she was pulled over, or given the ticket.

Well if she was speeding then shame, but they still shouldn't have tacked on an extra ticket for GG.

"It wasn't on, your honor. No, the officer didn't verify nor question whether it was indeed on or off."

Case dismissed.

better yet
"i was using it for GPS nav, its safer then taking your eyes off the road to look at my phone.
would you like try it your honor"

only thing is google glass is safer then that since to look at any of them you have to take your eyes off the road

see endless numbers of people blindly following bad turn by turn GPS data

Not arguing that by any means, just stating how the police might have interpreted that to give her a citation for it. Personally I hate GPS, I still use a map and pull over to get my bearings when I need to. Probably a lot more to the story, like she was being belligerent over the speeding part and decided to record the cop with her google glasses.

And let me pull up the definition of installed:

in·stall
inˈstôl/Submit
verb
past tense: installed; past participle: installed
place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position ready for use.

So technically, it was installed in the car, attached to her head, ready for use. Cop was either ignorant or being a dick. Possibly both.

Installed does not mean in any term, attached to the car directly.

Google Glass has no monitor, it has a projector that projects an image onto a piece of glass but that is not a monitor.

And let me pull up the definition of installed:

in·stall
inˈstôl/Submit
verb
past tense: installed; past participle: installed
place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position ready for use.

So technically, it was installed in the car, attached to her head, ready for use. Cop was either ignorant or being a dick. Possibly both.

Installed does not mean in any term, attached to the car directly.

Holy shit, all I said was that is how the cop probably interpreted it. I never said he was right, did the right thing, or wasn't possibly an asshole about it.

i might also add that using google glass for GPS data is safer then using a on dash display
since you never have to take your eyes off the road

Has this actually been tested? Yes, you don't have to take your eyes off the road but you are still being exposed to information other than the road in front of you ... have they actually tested whether information projected in front of your eyes doesn't distract you from concentrating on the road?

lots of cars have HUDs
ever seen the HUD in a fighter jet WAY more info then what GPS on Google glass is giving you

Holy shit, all I said was that is how the cop probably interpreted it. I never said he was right, did the right thing, or wasn't possibly an asshole about it.

No problem :). I was just quoting you quoting the law.

if this isnt interfering with flying an airplane then google glass is fine for a car

gTeY8Xi.jpg

if this isnt interfering with flying an airplane then google glass is fine for a car

gTeY8Xi.jpg

You don't get a lot of people jumping in front of airplanes or other airplanes cutting you off ... also not a lot of unexpected obstacles at altitude ... has one of the auto safety companies tested the GG HUD for whether it is not distracting for drivers

and the US Army has been using the same tech for year in the Apache
7nHhQsP.jpg

You don't get a lot of people jumping in front of airplanes or other airplanes cutting you off ... also not a lot of unexpected obstacles at altitude ... has one of the auto safety companies tested the GG HUD for whether it is not distracting for drivers

see my other post
and running to things like the ground and trees and other aircraft in your formation is an issue with a aircraft
more so with a heli that flys in the tree line

Corvette's have had heads up displays for years now and it's a pretty good sized overlay.. I would much rater have a heads up display then trying to look down at my gps in my dash..

see my other post
and running to things like the ground and trees and other aircraft in your formation is an issue with a aircraft
more so with a heli that flys in the tree line

They also train pilots for hundreds and thousands of hours and don't let everyone be a pilot ... all you need to drive is a face ... I would still prefer to see actual empirical data using cars and various types of drivers, speeds, and vehicles before I universally assume that the average driver can handle the same activity the average pilot can ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-air_collision
http://news.yahoo.com/changes-urged-5-near-airline-collisions-203402302.html

This is actually becoming a bigger problem lately due to air congestion. More planes in the air equals more possible collisions.

and the US Army has been using the same tech for year in the Apache

But you forget the fact that those people are trained to do operate those vehicles in that manner. I mean, really. Comparing military vehicles to civilian consumer vehicles is just as bad as it gets, man. :rolleyes::)

Sorry, kbrickley... I quoted the wrong person in that top quote. I actually am agreeing with you.

But you forget the fact that those people are trained to do operate those vehicles in that manner. I mean, really. Comparing military vehicles to civilian consumer vehicles is just as bad as it gets, man. :rolleyes::)

Well no shit. But looking past the HUD isn't exactly in the top 100 list of most difficult things about learning to fly a military aircraft.

if it was distracting they wouldnt use it
even airliners have HUDs now

Corvette's have had heads up displays for years now and it's a pretty good sized overlay.. I would much rater have a heads up display then trying to look down at my gps in my dash..

I had a Corvette with a HUD, loved that thing. I do understand how Google Glass could distract a driver and lead to an accident.
In this case though, there really isn't a way to prove how she was using them at the time, or that they were even on. If the cop didn't verify it, I would just plead that it wasn't turned on.
This will probably be something that the CA legislation will need to review in the future.

if it was distracting they wouldnt use it
even airliners have HUDs now

Yeah. Honestly I don't even see why we need to have an argument about whether it's safer to use a HUD or safer to take your eyes off the road and look at your center console. You don't need scientific studies to tell you it's safer to keep your eyes on the damn road.

Back