Woman Burned By Exploding iPhone 7?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
I don't know about you but this story seems kinda fishy. I'm not sure but the burn marks seem a little too sloppy to be made by an Apple product. You know, something not quite magical. ;)
 

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
8,339
That's not an explosion, she just cooked her arm past 45°C with the phone charging against her skin. Protein coagulates, skin dies. No explosion.
 

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
13,350
I don't know about you, but I think those burn marks look very magical.
 

cjcox

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
1,667
DO NOT... repeat... DO NOT eat your iPhone!!!

If you attempt to eat your iPhone you could chip or break teeth... but in my case I was successful and had shards of sharp glass throughout my mouth and lips.

So... even though it would appear to be tasty... please... please... DO NOT attempt to eat your iPhone.

I'm posting this in hopes of keeping as many people as possible safe...
 
Last edited:
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
3,562
People need to be way smarter with their tech, your phone should be kept turned off at all times in a fire proof safe, in a flame retardant building next to the fire department. She has nobody to blame but herself.
 

nvgrim

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
1,700
DO NOT... repeat... DO NOT eat your iPhone!!!

If you attempt to eat your iPhone you could chip or breath teeth... but in my case I was successful and had shards of sharp glass throughout my mouth and lips.

So... even though it would appear to be tasty... please... please... DO NOT attempt to eat your iPhone.

I'm posting this in hopes of keeping as many people as possible safe...
maybe you didnt cook it long enough, im going to try 350* for 20 min.
 

zomby

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Messages
334
technically, when the temperature is too cold, the phone stops working. When the phone is too Hot, I would assume the screen turns off by itself until it cools off, but in her case, the phone was charging while all of her body heat was lying on it, not cool.
 

nutzo

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
7,380
The burn kind of looks like a magical unicorn to me, so I'd have to agree it had to be caused by an iPhone.
 

Sonicks

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,401
It's sad just how little the general public knows about electronics. She tries to place the blame on Apple: "...I've been an iPhone user since the beginning..." yet she doesn't realize the simple matter of the fact is that she sandwiched a charging, hot, device between her arm and whatever else while she slept....so it was basically a slow steady burn. Her hash tags are a poor attempt for her 'awareness' to go viral as well.

Some people....
 

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
2,898
These are the kind of people that need to hurry up and die. Stupid should hurt, I approve.
 

nvgrim

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 1, 2013
Messages
1,700
It's sad just how little the general public knows about electronics. She tries to place the blame on Apple: "...I've been an iPhone user since the beginning..." yet she doesn't realize the simple matter of the fact is that she sandwiched a charging, hot, device between her arm and whatever else while she slept....so it was basically a slow steady burn. Her hash tags are a poor attempt for her 'awareness' to go viral as well.

Some people....
everybody just wants their 15 min of fame......and a settlement.
 

TechLarry

Can't find the G Spot
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Messages
30,246
WARNING: Do not insert Penis in CD-ROM Drive hole. Severe Lacerations could occur!
 

Kalabalana

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
1,299
The burn was caused by a cable, or something with ball tip the radius of a cord.
I'm guessing the cable she had burned her (prob some shitty cheap thing) or she made up the story.
 
D

Deleted member 184142

Guest
The burn was caused by a cable, or something with ball tip the radius of a cord.
I'm guessing the cable she had burned her (prob some shitty cheap thing) or she made up the story.
Looking at the photos was kind of thinking the same, the lower part looks like the outline of the phone, and the cable was bunched up behind the phone, and then excess cord from around and going up the arm, it really looks like the phone didn't over heat at all and actually shielded part of her arm from more burns from the cable....
 

Bowman15

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
1,322
Looks like one of those $3.00 & FEE SHIPPING from China charging cords off of eBay or Amazon that she ended up paying for in one way or the other.
 

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 11, 2005
Messages
5,166
One would think Samsung could come up with a better ploy than this.
 

Tweak42

Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
609
technically, when the temperature is too cold, the phone stops working. When the phone is too Hot, I would assume the screen turns off by itself until it cools off, but in her case, the phone was charging while all of her body heat was lying on it, not cool.

My 5 year old Galaxy Nexus wouldn't charge if it was over heated. I assume all modern smart phones that have temperature sensors would do the same. This might lend credence that an inferior quality power cable was used and burned her.


"More than 90% of ‘genuine’ Apple chargers & cables sold on Amazon are fake, says Apple"
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
558
Despite all those news she read and heard by now yet she slept by accident with her arm ON the iPhone while it was charging? I couldn't figure it out WHERE she slept.

*smh at her stupidness*
 

MrE

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
2,408
Where is the picture of the phone? I couldn't find any in her FB post.
 

steakman1971

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
2,433
I was talking with someone the other day who spent $800ish on their phone, and was very proud of the super cheap cables they bought from Amazon. Some of the cables are dangerous. They are probably cheap for a reason. (Not defending what Apple charges - $25 is stupidly expensive).
I thought I found a good deal on recessed lighting fixtures recently. They were 40% cheaper than Home Depot. Then I found out they were not UL certified. Some of the reviews were kind of scary. I decided to pass on the cheapo house burner model.
 
Top