With the 465s out, do you think ATI will drop prices on the 5850?

WillC310

Limp Gawd
Just wondering what everyone thinks.. I mean, the 5850 has been > $300 for a while.. Initially due to supply problems.. and now I think people are just used to paying that price. Yeah, the 465 isn't a 5850 killer by anyone's imagination, but it's not a bad card either. AMD could put a big hurt on NVidia if they lowered their price.

The 5850 competes against the GTX470 and it is already priced substantially lower than that while being on a similar performance level. I see 5850 prices staying right where they are.

why would ati drop their prices when nvidia cannot compete with them at the current price/performance level?

AMD aim is to generate revenue, there's no reason for them to reduce the price and cut their revenue, no?

hell no.. ATI has no reason to drop prices on the 5850 or the 5870.. ATI is still top dog for price/performance/power.. nvidia cant even attempt to compete with that..

ATI does not need to drop any prices.

You gotta remember the 5850 came out at like $269 back in the day. It can now be found for around $279-$289.

The 5850 is compared to the 470...not the 465, but yet its priced at the price of a 5850.

This is one of the worst cards they could of released. The 465 GTX needs to be $219.99

No, its valued properly and the product is the best choice. It's not struggling to compete.

No.

the 465 is 10$ less than the 5850.

Be funny if they dropped the price 10$ to mak them direct compiterts.

AMD is probably going to increase the price of the 4850 and 4830 after these 465 reviews. I suggest you stock up, boys!!!

probably a slight decrease ie 10dollars since 5850 is faster than 465 and for the same price only ppl who want phyx and such would buy 465

In Europe GTX465 is at or above HD5850 price, which is a sort of FAIL (GTX465 = 280e, HD5850 = 260-300e for most models). GTX465 has to drop at least 50 euro to be competitive with pricing against HD5830. GTX465 is a card with HD5870 power consumption, HD5850 price and HD5830 performance.

Just wondering what everyone thinks.. I mean, the 5850 has been > $300 for a while.. Initially due to supply problems.. and now I think people are just used to paying that price. Yeah, the 465 isn't a 5850 killer by anyone's imagination, but it's not a bad card either. AMD could put a big hurt on NVidia if they lowered their price.

AMD has no reason to drop the price, as long as the 5850 is outselling the 465. So no, I doubt we will see a price drop until sixty days out from the launch of the refresh.

The 5850 competes against the GTX470 and it is already priced substantially lower than that while being on a similar performance level. I see 5850 prices staying right where they are.

How do Nvidia's current drivers affect the 470? I've read that they help it quite a bit to bring it close to 5870 levels. No idea if this is true but what is everyone hearing?

Availability will also help. Tigerdirect seems to have a good selection of them with most at msrp and the ones over msrp are just slighty over. Pretty good for a new card. If they start offering rebates on them (or just put them on sale) and have noticeably better performance then it will put pressure on ATi (assuming Nvidia has plenty to sell).

/\|/\ ditto, but the fanboys will pay those prices so :rolleyes:

LOL 5850 is a lot better card why would the price drop?

no.............to answer op question. Nvidia hurts itself just fine, thank you.

Back