With all the GT200 madness, no single-slot loving?

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie
I'm building an SFF for LAN parties, so I only have a single slot to work with. Originally I was going to put in an 8800GT, but now that I'm already a couple of weeks past where I wanted to be, I may as well hold out until some 4850 reviews show up. I already know about the 9800GT, but that's just an overclocked 8800GT- I can't see it being anything special, probably on par with an 8800GTS.

Have I missed any other announcements, or is it really going to boil down to the 4850 vs 9800GT for single-slot coolers?

You won't see single slot GTX 200 series cards until they go to 55nm, if ever. They seem a little hot.

Very quickly the day is coming where you won't see single slot video cards. Or at least the high end or near high end.

boils down to transistor count VS die shrinkage. It's practically liniar. It's easier to add more transistors than it is to shrink to a smaller node, the result is increasingly more power consuming cards. With a TDP of 240W, a GX290 or whatever they will call it just isn't going to happen. I think the HD4850 is your best bet. Or the mod, thats far more [H].

Very quickly the day is coming where you won't see single slot video cards. Or at least the high end or near high end.
I'm not so sure. ATI for example is trying to reduce TDP of their cards, and I'm confident nvidia will be trying to do the same in the future.

Not surprising really, considering all the "green" trends. You're seeing the effects of that in the CPU world with all the low power models.

Even the original launch of the 8800GTX/GTS didn't have a single slot until a fair bit later on...

I'm not so sure. ATI for example is trying to reduce TDP of their cards, and I'm confident nvidia will be trying to do the same in the future.

Not surprising really, considering all the "green" trends. You're seeing the effects of that in the CPU world with all the low power models.

This is where NVIDIA is selling their "Hybrid SLI" with "Hybrid Power" wher you can shut off the GPUs when you arent gaming to save power/heat.

they are saving something like 80watts with a 9800GX2 and a Hybrid Board

OP, do what dworley did, cut part of the side panel.

Pictures from his gallery

boils down to transistor count VS die shrinkage. It's practically liniar. It's easier to add more transistors than it is to shrink to a smaller node, the result is increasingly more power consuming cards. With a TDP of 240W, a GX290 or whatever they will call it just isn't going to happen. I think the HD4850 is your best bet. Or the mod, thats far more [H].

I love dworley's work. It makes for great GPU temps too since they're getting nothing but fresh air.
You guys are assuming my layout is the same as his... There are other SFF cases, y'know. :p To be more specific, keep an eye out in the Case Mods gallery- I'll be posting my entire worklog there once the new cards come out and I've settled on something. Believe me- if it were that simple, I'd have that hole cut out in a heartbeat!

You guys are assuming my layout is the same as his... There are other SFF cases, y'know. :p To be more specific, keep an eye out in the Case Mods gallery- I'll be posting my entire worklog there once the new cards come out and I've settled on something. Believe me- if it were that simple, I'd have that hole cut out in a heartbeat!
All I hear is bitch bitch bitch :D

Seriously though, what SFF case are you working with? A mATX based one I'm assuming?

The aforementioned GPUs are the only single slot ones I've heard. As I'm sure you know, non-reference cooling options are usually dual slot if anything, except for Sapphire's single slot 3870. Without seeing benchies, I'm thinking the 4850 is the one to beat, unless Sapphire brings their single slot tech to the 4870.

I'm confused here... I plan on getting a mx280 when it comes out with a ASUS rampage forumla... Now will it work with that motherboard? If so does it take up both of my PCI slots or what

pic of asus rampage

To the OP:

The next gen cards arent going to be single slot solutions this time around. you will likely be waiting until the fall release of cards for that.
There hasn't been any buzz around 9800gt since the launch of the 9800gtx and gx2 cards that i've heard or read. Rumors for this gen are pointing towards just the high end parts. GTX 260 and GTX 280.
I don't know much about AMD/ATI's offerings, so you might have an option there. it seems as though the rest of the thread is pointing that direction.
Looking forward to seeing your mod. I'll be posting some pics of my recent work on my mod.

I'm confused here... I plan on getting a mx280 when it comes out with a ASUS rampage forumla... Now will it work with that motherboard? If so does it take up both of my PCI slots or what

pic of asus rampage

i have no idea how this question has anything to do with the OPs thread, but with that board you would lose one of the pci-e1 with one card in and one of the the pci slots as well with 2 cards.
it seems the one pci would still be available and i think you would be able to use the lower pci-e1.

All I hear is bitch bitch bitch :D

Seriously though, what SFF case are you working with? A mATX based one I'm assuming?
Sorry, I can't go into any further details... the moment I name some parts, it'll be a giveaway. Guess you'll just have to stick around! :p The only hint I'll give is this- it's so small that I couldn't squeeze in an optical drive...

Sorry, I can't go into any further details... the moment I name some parts, it'll be a giveaway. Guess you'll just have to stick around! :p The only hint I'll give is this- it's so small that I couldn't squeeze in an optical drive...
why is it a secret?

Yeah having a dual slot card is a pain in the ass, you have to sacrifice your other PCI slot which is stupid. Though I'm sure one day NVIDIA and ATI will make their cards back to the original single slot again. Hopefully the GT200b (Which I highly doubt) will be a single slot card.

Back