Witcher 3 getting a Free Ray Tracing update from CDPR.

There’s probably mods, but I expect series fans would be upset if they changed all the defaults to look like the actors in the show.

Wow, that's pretty awesome, but what about DLSS support too? I've never seen a game support one RTX without DLSS, just the other way around. I picked up the whole series several month ago on Steam on a sale and have yet to play them yet.

Seeing as they are updating their game for AMDs arch I would not hold your breath. When anyone now says they are adding RT for next gen consoles.... that doesn't mean RTX. This update may or may not add ray tracing for NV cards.

Seeing as they are updating their game for AMDs arch I would not hold your breath. When anyone now says they are adding RT for next gen consoles.... that doesn't mean RTX. This update may or may not add ray tracing for NV cards.

Right, theyre gonna skip RT for Nv cards, got it.

5cb1114e4f1a94c33812a2c332da0c3a.gif

Regardless of whether it was easy or not, they didn't have to do this especially as a free update. Even if it's not a lot of work they still have to pay people to do this for a game that probably isn't going to sell that many more copies on PC at this point. Definitely not for a large price either.

So....they are doing this just to support their community. Wow. I'm impressed.
Their partnership with Nvidia probably played a big role, too.

Reactions: Auer
like this

Why wouldn't it add RT for NV cards? What, exactly, do you think RTX is?

He’s obviously talking about the secret version of DirectX that only AMD knows about.
lol
My only point is every game that adds DX from now on is likely going to be targeting AMD console (RDNA2) arch. Yes they will use DX or Vulcan to enable it... we will have to see what AMD is cooking. If its either drastically LESS powerful OR More powerful or just very different.... optimizing for both may be difficult. We will either end up with simplified effects so they can run on AMD console hardware.... or they have come up with a solution that operates in a very different way and optimizations for one may not translate to the other.

From this point forward any game that adds tracing bits is going to be targeting the consoles and AMD first. I do sincerely hope AMDs tech is powerful enough that most developers going forward use the tech in someway. If it isn't... RT is going to die as nothing will change for game developers being unable to design games with RT as an element of design instead of just some optional bit of eye candy. I don't really expect AMD is going to drop some crazy RT hardware that is faster then NVs second gen. Best we can hope for is that AMDs solution is at least close if not equal to NVs... and not really much different. Yes I understand both will work through high level languages DX or Vulcan... still optimizing for both may still be hard if there playing with very different methods. The future of hybrid RT graphics is still a big ? as far as I'm concerned. Its cool yes but its clearly not the easiest thing to implement or all games would be using it.... and many of the titles that have included it have included it as window dressing. If RT is going to live... this console generation needs to be able to actually use it and use it half way well.

lol
My only point is every game that adds DX from now on is likely going to be targeting AMD console (RDNA2) arch. Yes they will use DX or Vulcan to enable it... we will have to see what AMD is cooking. If its either drastically LESS powerful OR More powerful or just very different.... optimizing for both may be difficult. We will either end up with simplified effects so they can run on AMD console hardware.... or they have come up with a solution that operates in a very different way and optimizations for one may not translate to the other.

From this point forward any game that adds tracing bits is going to be targeting the consoles and AMD first. I do sincerely hope AMDs tech is powerful enough that most developers going forward use the tech in someway. If it isn't... RT is going to die as nothing will change for game developers being unable to design games with RT as an element of design instead of just some optional bit of eye candy. I don't really expect AMD is going to drop some crazy RT hardware that is faster then NVs second gen. Best we can hope for is that AMDs solution is at least close if not equal to NVs... and not really much different. Yes I understand both will work through high level languages DX or Vulcan... still optimizing for both may still be hard if there playing with very different methods. The future of hybrid RT graphics is still a big ? as far as I'm concerned. Its cool yes but its clearly not the easiest thing to implement or all games would be using it.... and many of the titles that have included it have included it as window dressing. If RT is going to live... this console generation needs to be able to actually use it and use it half way well.

Yeah api support is just the first ingredient. How developers actually integrate RT into their games could favor one architecture over another.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
lol

I think nvidia should be able to handle any ray tracing, think they support DXR in DirectX. So if developers make it for consoles it won’t be developers optimizing it for rtx rather nvidia having to update their drivers.

Personally I can’t wait to see hairworks ultra with ray traced pantene shine!

lol

People made claims about games targeting AMD before the beginning of the previous generations. It never happened. Ray tracing strength might depend on consoles, but PC versions of the games will always focus on the largest market on that platform. Nvidia’s money will also make an impact.

People made claims about games targeting AMD before the beginning of the previous generations. It never happened. Ray tracing strength might depend on consoles, but PC versions of the games will always focus on the largest market on that platform. Nvidia’s money will also make an impact.

I think there is confusion here. NVIDIA’s supports Dxr. So I am not sure why it matters. If developers just use that NVIDI just has to support it in driver. It won’t be developers exclusively coding for NVIDIA.

I think there is confusion here. NVIDIA’s supports Dxr. So I am not sure why it matters. If developers just use that NVIDI just has to support it in driver. It won’t be developers exclusively coding for NVIDIA.

Optimizing for all graphics is often very dependent on arch. Yes DX is high level and it shouldn't matter... but it does. This is why both hardware mfgs are constantly tweaking drivers over riding default shaders or filtering methods and what not for AMD or NV optimized versions.

I do agree that NV has the funds and the developer network to throw money at things if it ends up being a problem. At this point we just don't know if AMDs RT solution is even all that different. I suspect its very different and optimizations for their method will not translate to NV hardware.... not that it won't run just won't run optimally. Yes NV will overcome, paying developers to optimize for their hardware, or tweaking their drivers themselves. If I had to guess AMD is going to have to do a lot less in either regard.... as its in developers best interest to get the most out of RDNA2 for obvious console reasons.

Once AMD actually details what AMD RT hardware is or isn't... I'm sure we'll can all guess as to its future. Frankly if AMD half assed RT in the consoles... it is probably as dead a technology as VR. ;) If their method is extremely different from NVs.... there is also the risk of having a beta/vhs problem even with DX/Vulcan high level instructions. If developers have to support 2 very different paths due to the way the hardware crunches the relevant data its going to slow adoption, or more like it will cost Nvidia a ton of cash. I like the beta/vhs analogy... I suspect NV is the beta in this analogy they probably will have the superior tech, but it will also be more expensive and harder for developers to deal with. AMD is probably VHS... as they will probably spread like crazy thanks to the console wins, and in both console and PC form they will probably be cheaper. Not as good... but may win in the end anyway. Probably know around xmas this year.... when the games launch with the new consoles. Will be interesting to see how they implement RT, and if that translates in the PC ports and in what form(s), and optimization levels. I suspect we are going to see benchmarks all over the place... where one game will be faster on NV and the next on AMD, even if NV does as most of us suspect look to be the technical hardware winner.

you can thank nvidia since they and CDPR are very much promoting eachother
cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-special-edition-gpu-ogimage.jpg

Back