Witcher 3 benchmarks posted

Very nice! That's pretty much in-line with what I was expecting, though I still hope they release some modes beyond the current Ultra to further improve the visual quality for the top-end hardware. I didn't see any 4K on there though, first set was 1080, then the second set didn't say the resolution. I don't know German, so maybe it was in there and I just didn't see it.

Looks like I could almost run Ultra on on my 760 if I was ok with fps in the 20's, or running at 720p. So I'm planning to try it on high settings for a week or two and see how it goes before I decide on an upgrade.

Overall I'd say the performance looks very well balanced. Just hope there's still plenty of headroom to scale up the visuals with future hardware...

Wow, the Nvidia HairWorks completely obliterates the Nvidia cards also. According to the article, the only hair shown when tested was the horse and Geralt. I wonder what the impact would be in a larger battle against packs of wildlife.

TitanX only can run Nvidia HairWorks it seems like looking at the chart.

Last edited:
Looks I'm going to have to crank up the clocks on my Titans and hope 3-way scaling works well for 1440p. This might be the first game where I finally feel some aging in these cards.

Why does the PC Gamer article list a max of 1920x1080? I'll need to figure out if I can get 2560x1080 going either by GUI or config file.

Why does the PC Gamer article list a max of 1920x1080? I'll need to figure out if I can get 2560x1080 going either by GUI or config file.

Well to be completely honest with you they never post benchmarks. So the fact that they tried is a feat. :)

The German article in my OP gives results for both 1440p and 4K in the bottom graph. You just have to select the resolution.

both articles sum it up, we did NOT experience a downgrade because of consoles

a single gtx970 is barely enough for ultra settings @ 1080p, imagine what would happen with tessellated stone walls, high quality foilage etc

we would actually need graphic cards from 2016/2017 to get things rolling , same thing was happening during the "golden days" of pc gaming when games like farcry oblivion and FEAR came out.

Developers no longer do that, we're full of yesteryear BF "veterans" / spoiled brats and ingnorant people with massive amounts of electronic ego that more willing to uninstall a PC game when they can't run it on ultra + 8x MSAA instead of reading a "tweakguides.com type" of guide for 10 minutes

1080p is mainstream too, 10 years ago everybody was gaming on like half the resolution so proper optimization is more relevant than ever, my prediction is that an "enchanced" edition will come out in 1-2 years from now, featuring improved visuals so that 1080GTX / 490x owners can actually enjoy them :)

Game is gorgeous, maxed out every setting, hair works, and HBAO+ on. Runs smooth. Didnt get a chance to check FPS, but it was fully payable, i went through the whole tutorial, and made it to where you hop on a horse for the first time, and looked into the sunset and was like "WOW" that looks amazing. definately prettiest game ive seen since GTA5 on PC maxed out. I was running 1440p too by the way. G-sync may have helped with the smoothness factor, i plan to benchmark tonight and will overclock my 970's.

running at 1440p as well. Only played for 3 hours so just hit the "high" preset and rolled. So far runs smooth as butter on sli 670's. I was surprised. Going to add some ultra settings tonight and see if it maintains.

On the GTX-760 I am able to run it on High @1080 once I turned off most off the post-processing (blur, motion-blur, CA, & vignette are all off, sharpening on, and hair-works off), I bumped a couple options up to Ultra (Details & Water), and it's still fairly playable. I haven't run it with FRAPS yet, but guessing it's in the 30-40fps range most of the time. Maybe I should try capping it at 30fps and see how much smoother that runs.

It also locked up on me 2 or 3 times, mostly while I was in the menu's (once in inventory, once in character screen, once during a dialog select), which is very strange. Definitely needs some patching and a driver update. And I will definitely be picking up a 970 in the next few weeks as soon as the budget lines up.

BTW, what does the "Hardware Cursor" option do? (or whatever the very last option was) I may not be remembering the right name for it now, and I can't find any mention of it in the tweak guides I'm seeing so far. Curious what difference it makes, and if it'll boost or hurt performance. I couldn't tell any difference when turning it off/on.

Edit - oh, and I keep having issues with my horse - just stops walking/cantering/galloping and stands still for no reason. I had to hit the forward button again repeatedly to get him to move. Seems like it happens more in populated town areas, but mostly fairly random. Wondering what could be wrong with the horse too. Playing with K800 wireless keyboard btw.

Last edited:

a single gtx970 is barely enough for ultra settings @ 1080p, imagine what would happen with tessellated stone walls, high quality foilage etc

we would actually need graphic cards from 2016/2017 to get things rolling , same thing was happening during the "golden days" of pc gaming when games like farcry oblivion and FEAR came out.

Developers no longer do that, we're full of yesteryear BF "veterans" / spoiled brats and ingnorant people with massive amounts of electronic ego that more willing to uninstall a PC game when they can't run it on ultra + 8x MSAA instead of reading a "tweakguides.com type" of guide for 10 minutes

1080p is mainstream too, 10 years ago everybody was gaming on like half the resolution so proper optimization is more relevant than ever, my prediction is that an "enchanced" edition will come out in 1-2 years from now, featuring improved visuals so that 1080GTX / 490x owners can actually enjoy them :)

Keep telling yourself that.

The fact that a 970 can even handle ultra tells you everything you need to know. the 970 is not a top end card in fact its not even a 10% bump in performance from my 780 GTX. We absolutely did get a downgrade because of consoles, dont try to spin it any other way

I prefer the way it was with Crysis, a game that came powerful enough to take advantage of hardware from the next couple of GPU cycles. My personal experience goes back to Soldier of Fortune 2, IIRC in the manual it was written somewhere that the game was design with future hardware in mind, so not all advance features may be utilized at that time.

That's how games should be made. With the trend of releasing HD/Redux/Enhanced version, it only serve to diminish the game's value, because you know this is probably not the best form of the game, and somewhere down the line you'll get a better version. But what value would that new version bring if the core content is still the same, only dressed up in some new fancy graphics. We might as well wait for the Enhance Edition to get the most out of the money spent.

running at 1440p as well. Only played for 3 hours so just hit the "high" preset and rolled. So far runs smooth as butter on sli 670's. I was surprised. Going to add some ultra settings tonight and see if it maintains.

Running the game "smooth as butter" is subjective, are you at 30fps all the time or pegged at 60. I'm curious because i have a similiar setup, 770 SLI at 1600p, and im wondering if i can run the game pegged at 60 while dialing some settings down. I refuse to run the game at 30fps like the console kiddies do, otherwise i'll wait until pascal drops and get the game at a steep discount.

Last edited:
Game is pretty. Crossfire is completely broken. Big surprise.

Same here 2 290x and the game is unplayable @ 1440. One card has 92% usage and the other 0%. I'm so done with AMD. I've tried for the last 4 years to support them but its time to stop fighting a losing battle.
Back to Nvidia as soon as I can afford a few cards and blocks.

Same here 2 290x and the game is unplayable @ 1440. One card has 92% usage and the other 0%. I'm so done with AMD. I've tried for the last 4 years to support them but its time to stop fighting a losing battle.
Back to Nvidia as soon as I can afford a few cards and blocks.

I went through that 5-6 years back with a laptop. Crossfire drivers were always just horrible. That along with having 2 cards in the crossfire setup fail at different times throughout the laptops lifetime made my not trust amd at all

I went through that 5-6 years back with a laptop. Crossfire drivers were always just horrible. That along with having 2 cards in the crossfire setup fail at different times throughout the laptops lifetime made my not trust amd at all

I hear you screaming bro. If I can sell my cards for $400 minus the blocks I'll go screaming back to nvidia and NEVER look back.

AMD promises gold and gives you a big smelly pot of shit. Between their drivers and hardware failures its just too much. Its gotten to the point where I'm afraid to update drivers because 99% of the time I have to spend at least a hour trying to get crossfire working again after using DDU

I prefer the way it was with Crysis, a game that came powerful enough to take advantage of hardware from the next couple of GPU cycles. My personal experience goes back to Soldier of Fortune 2, IIRC in the manual it was written somewhere that the game was design with future hardware in mind, so not all advance features may be utilized at that time.

That's how games should be made. With the trend of releasing HD/Redux/Enhanced version, it only serve to diminish the game's value, because you know this is probably not the best form of the game, and somewhere down the line you'll get a better version. But what value would that new version bring if the core content is still the same, only dressed up in some new fancy graphics. We might as well wait for the Enhance Edition to get the most out of the money spent.

The problem here is that he's right in the sense that there are a lot of spoiled brats who want to run Ultra settings now. It doesn't matter about future proofing, because they won't be playing it 2 months after a game's released. I feel this puts developers in a bit of a bind though. And from a developer standpoint, it makes sense at why things were downgraded. Often what you think it can run at now will have to be downgraded in the future, even with more powerful hardware, because you find a bug in the code that when fixed significantly diminishes performance, or something else which diminishes performance. (You'd figure it would be the other way around, with games becoming more optimized, but often it's not).

Unfortunately, if a game does target future hardware, you have a whole legion of gamers who whines "UNOPTIMIZED!" It doesn't matter if the game is leagues better than anything else on the market. It's just easier to release an enhanced edition later on, which reimburses interest in the game, as well as add in the detail you couldn't at first.

That said, while it's a pretty game, it still feels limited compared to other games out there. And it's not really taxing on the CPU or RAM (and VRAM). And if it wasn't for hair works, a high end machine could keep a constant 60 fps at 1440p.

Played around a little bit. at 1440p and ultra settings with hair works and HBAO+ enabled i seem to average around 35 FPS. This is with 2 970 GTX's overclock to 1500 boost clock. Whats weird is my GPU2 utilization is only 14%. Feel like thats really low, remember reading others saying they saw up to 85%. (see corner of screenshots for specs)

witcher1.jpg

witcher2.jpg

witcher3.jpg

Played around a little bit. at 1440p and ultra settings with hair works and HBAO+ enabled i seem to average around 35 FPS. This is with 2 970 GTX's overclock to 1500 boost clock. Whats weird is my GPU2 utilization is only 14%. Feel like thats really low, remember reading others saying they saw up to 85%. (see corner of screenshots for specs)

Something's definitely wrong. For me, both GPUs are around 90% or above almost all the time. (I posted a video earlier which has the GPU & CPU usage running which can confirm this).

OK figured it out, had my defaults for drivers set to "SINGLE GPU" so i was only getting half the performance. Now i seem to stay steady at 50-60FPS with everything maxed at 1440p :) Smooth as butta

witcher4.jpg

game is too demanding damit.. just like witcher 2 at its time :( gta 5 looks alot better and runs better and has way more details, the sunsets in that game are hard to beat.

@ xenozx

try forcing some transparency multisampling(or supersampling) through NVCP, those distant trees look horrible !

try forcing 8x AF too, sand textures look very blurry in that screen http://home.comcast.net/~Xenozx/witcher2.jpg

yea im going to play with the settings tonight. I found this guide which is supose to add all kinds of visual detail

https://translate.google.com/transl...l/S043.asp?ID=13706243&N=1&edit-text=&act=url

supose to make the game look like this

3ahHlw7.jpg

getting like almost 100% gpu usage on my gtx 750 which isnt bad really seems the game like more gpu then usage power.

Crossfire isn't working ... big surprise. I'm getting 25fps with crossfire disabled at 5760x1080 with mostly medium settings.

Last edited:
With the new nvidia drivers my 760 is handling the game surprisingly well!

1080, 30fps, all Graphic options on Ultra except Hairwork (off). Honestly I think the hair looks fine without hair-works; I may not even turn that on if/when I upgrade my GPU.

I have most of the post-processing options Off just because I don't like those effects anyways. Sharpening is on, think I have AA on, Medium AO, no motion-blur, no regular blur, no vignette, no chromatic aberration.

It's running surprisingly smooth and looks very good! But yeah, I could see where the high end GPU owners would be pissed by the lack of head-room. It does seem like there should be some Uber settings for better hardware - the Ultra settings look good but it still feels like it should really be able to look better.

DX12 version for The Witcher 3 and the new Batman were announced awhile back.

I broke down and picked up the 970 a bit early. This is working very nicely! :D
Fired up FRAPS to see how it fared.

Maxing everything possible, 1080, 60fps-cap, hair-works full, I was getting around 42-48 fps. Seemed fairly smooth, didn't drop under 40 even in combat with a whole camp of bandits.

Turned off Hair-Works, everything else maxed, now it's sitting right on 60fps the whole time. I really think I like the look without hairworks better anyways. Looks like this is how I'll be playing it the rest of the game. :cool:

Oh! And I just noticed (in 1.03 patch) that there are blood pools in water and I even noticed a blood-splatter on the ground while fighting drowners in a cave. Nice to see CDPR is paying a little attention to what the fans are saying.

Did what other people were saying they were doing and locked the game to 30FPS. That allowed me to jack up everything to max except HairWorks (I'll do the tessellation setting thing before I play next time) and Motion Blur (because fuck Motion Blur). Running it at 1080p, might see how well it runs at a higher resolution. Having a blast playing it though and even enjoying the combat. Can't wait to get to level 2 so I can use the sword I just crafted. It's sitting in the inventory taunting me.

Back