Wireless PCIe Card.

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
I have the worlds worst reception on my main rig. I have two main desktop computers, The main for video/media production/Games and one for Studio/music/rendering. It's not my house, and i'm not allowed to have cables anywhere, so it's wireless only.
My two rooms are the one directly above the router, and one about 3m down the corridor, about 4m from the router. The furthest room has perhaps 2 solid walls an a floor, the closest has a floor.
Now comes the problem, I had to swap the 2 computers over because of the acoustics in the further room being bad for sound. The computer in the furthest room now gets at most 3 bars of signal however I hold it, left or right. Average is 2. It cuts out at least once per hour on bad days, and stays off for 10 minutes. The music computer never had this trouble.
The music computer is a frankenstein computer based on an HP, which came with an OEM wireless n card. (looks like a mini pcie card you find in a laptop with the wire internal aerial). Everywhere in the house it gets 5 bars.
Now because I forgot all about it, I didn't buy a wireless adapter for the new computer, and so the only card I had was a mini pcie wireless n card. And a Netgear Wireless g PCI card from circa 2003/5 its old. Now it was fine in the room directly above the router with 4/5 bars, but now speed is still fine, but the connection problms are awful. Common logic would say, swap the N card for the G. But the music machine has no PCI slots open. The PCI card is a problem on the main rig because it blocks the Second x16 card slot, so either no SLI or no internet.

So heres the problem. I'm looking for a PCIe Wireless N card. With some problems;

1. Nothing extremely expensive. Or expensive.

2. Must be PCIe. Also wireless N. Need the strength.

3. Must not be an abomination. This is going in a showcase computer that needs to look pretty.

The two i've found for the same price are;

D-LINK Xtreme N Desktop Adapter DWA-556

And

Asus PCE-N13 Wireless.

Plus 400 with giant aerial wire combination things.

I've seen so many mixed reveiws of both, so it's hard to tell if either of them are any good...

Why is it SO hard to find a wireless n card for PCIe.

Would it be better to get a wireless n router (bear in mind this would take lots of convincing and probably wouldn't be allowed. The house owner already thinks im a cyber terrorist because I have a graphics card. Also that people hack into his CRT tv and phone lines...)

Why are pcie cards twice the price of pci cards (apart from economies of scale and people buying lots more pci)?

Thank you!

If you are comfortable with using a pigtail adapter to an antenna you could use a pcie -->mini pcie adapter and use a notebook wireless adapter (albeit probably more expensive and hassle, but you probably get a better choice of adapters)

Would you be able to get a wireless bridge? The wireless network N 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Thaks for the replies!

If you are comfortable with using a pigtail adapter to an antenna you could use a pcie -->mini pcie adapter and use a notebook wireless adapter (albeit probably more expensive and hassle, but you probably get a better choice of adapters)

Something like this??? I already have a Mini Pcie Intel Wifi Link 5100 OEM card. But it's full, not half size so it looks like it might not fit! It was 15$ and was bought because of a mini pcie/pcie mix up a while back, So going for something new would probably be safer!

Would you be able to get a wireless bridge? The wireless network N 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

The router is Sagem wireless g POS. But the other computer is N 2.4gh/z. The bridge is possible yes! Which would give the better signal? And would I be able to do MIMO still?

If the router is only a wireless g, I don't think you'll gain much if anything from a wireless n capable network adapter. What you need is a wireless g network adapter with an external high gain antenna.

I was going down the N route because of the other computer being N. So even if it didn't improve the router signal it would improve throughput on the home network. As lots of files are still stored on the older computer, I constantly need to stream between them. Especially for mp3s! Doesn't N have higher gain than g by default? How powerful would you go for?

You won't get a direct benefit from having an N card in each computer if your AP isn't N capable, the signal strength is still limited by power limits mandated by the FCC for each band you are using. The biggest thing you can do for your signal strength is using high gain antennas. I would personally still use N cards though because down the road you may upgrade your router to N.

If the router is only a wireless g, I don't think you'll gain much if anything from a wireless n capable network adapter. What you need is a wireless g network adapter with an external high gain antenna.

+1

You will see no benefit on moving to an 802.11n adapter if the router is only running g.

MIMO won't help either with the router being what it is.

You could always do PoE, that way cables aren't everywhere and you have a solid connection, though this may cost a bit more.

btw, I have that same mini pcie card, it's a good choice for a laptop or netbook. ;)

My SSD diad! Sorry for the late reply

You won't get a direct benefit from having an N card in each computer if your AP isn't N capable, the signal strength is still limited by power limits mandated by the FCC for each band you are using. The biggest thing you can do for your signal strength is using high gain antennas. I would personally still use N cards though because down the road you may upgrade your router to N.

I think ill try and convince the houseowner to convert over. I'm not sure how it will go but I would help loads with the 6 computers/devices using the same g POS. From the computer I pick up 5 different routers from the same ISP. All are 2 bars. I wnder if interfference is a problem too.

+1

You will see no benefit on moving to an 802.11n adapter if the router is only running g.

MIMO won't help either with the router being what it is.

You could always do PoE, that way cables aren't everywhere and you have a solid connection, though this may cost a bit more.

btw, I have that same mini pcie card, it's a good choice for a laptop or netbook. ;)

I wanted to do all wired LAN because of my gaming history, but noone would allow cable drilling/running! Between the two rooms there someone elses room, so that makes things more difficult!
Its good to hear it works! I bought it new, and the contacts had scratches over them. I'm guessing it was taken from a laptop at some point then replaced with something, or parted out.

Bad wireless signal could be a sign of your Y2K paranoia anti/technology home owner filling the walls with lead to block signals.

I'd try to do the wired lan thing. I'm about half way through the process of re-building my lan at the house and am trying to keep as many PC's as i can off of wifi just for reliability sake.

In a pinch you could always use a USB wireless N adapter in the meantime till you find a suitable solution.

I installed a Mini-PCI wireless G card into a WatchGuard Firebox to use as an AP and it gets just as good signal as my old Linksys SOHO router with the upgraded large antennae. So going with a mini-PCI N card and an adapter as mentioned above might work well.

The two i've found for the same price are;

D-LINK Xtreme N Desktop Adapter DWA-556

And

Asus PCE-N13 Wireless.

Plus 400 with giant aerial wire combination things.

I've seen so many mixed reveiws of both, so it's hard to tell if either of them are any good...

I was looking at these same 2 cards to pair with a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Wireless-N router.

I ended up going with the DWA-556 ... and have had nothing but problems with it in a PC running Win7-64. The adapter installed properly, and is visible in Device Manager and the Network and Sharing Center. However, 90% of the time it does not see my (or anyone else's) wireless networks. My network (and my neighbor's) broadcasts its SSID, which I can see from three different laptops in the house. However, the DWA-556 only sees a network rarely. The computer sits 30 feet from the router. Sometimes, it will connect ... and show 5 signal bars. It then quickly drops to 2 bars, then loses the connection completely. A laptop sitting right next to it can see all networks propetly, and connect as needed.

My DWA-556 is set up with the same WPA2-PSK security settings as the N adapters in the laptops, but just fails to connect most days.

Maybe I should go with the Asus PCE-13? I can get one for $26, which seems reasonable. It appears to use the Ralink chipset, unlike the Atheros in the 556.

Is there anything better for Win7-64 that's less than $40?

Back