Wireless+Netflix possible?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a wireless network set up and I also have netflix. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy a cheap wireless usb adapter to plug in instead of using a cat5 cable. Is this possible?

Depends.

I couldn't get my xbox to stream via WiFi and netflix at an acceptable quality.

There is simply too much packet loss in my wireless path (Wireless N usb --> House --> Wireless N DIR655).

EDIT: Oops!

xbox/netflix/wifi worked fine. (max quality all the time on the quality guage - and I beleive the xbox netflix client has a better quality than the PC Silverlight client)

It was 40mbps BluRay (ISO mount) over WirelessN that I had problems with!

netflix works extremely well on wireless g given the circumstances. my mom uses it on her 47" vizio. and the quality is better then DVD. its boarderline HD looking honestly... when you stand back a ways you cant even tell its streaming at all.

I used to stream Netflix through my 360 over wireless. The quality was exceptional although sporadically the signal would drop and whatever I was watching would stop while it reconnected. I have several neighbors with wireless networks that I'm sure were interfering (all wireless channels were in use :() I ended up running a long Ethernet cable, although if you don't have many competing signals you should be fine.

netflix works extremely well on wireless g given the circumstances. my mom uses it on her 47" vizio. and the quality is better then DVD. its boarderline HD looking honestly... when you stand back a ways you cant even tell its streaming at all.

which wireless adapter did you use? there are plenty to choose from, and many have mixed reviews.

its a microsoft mn730 i think. pci internal adapter with a hawking external antenna. the router is 10ft away but in the basement... its a wrt54g with ddwrt. however, i dont really recommend it because it doesnt even have native drivers in windows 7. i cant fathom why, but you must get online some other way before windows update can install the adapter for you... you cant even find win7 x64 drivers online. i was lucky windows update did it honestly...

Last edited:
Back