wireless gaming adapter

zetachi

Gawd
Anyone use one of these on a PS3? Do you notice a better throughput then the built in wireless.

I'm having trouble streaming movies over my wireless to the PS3. Netflix works fine but I have issues with some regular movies and all blu-ray HD ones. I'm using a Dlink N DIr655 and was thinking of getting either another wireless N router or a gaming adapter with a gigabit port to increase bandwidth.

I can't really compare what you're talking about, but if it helps, I can confirm that I get MUCH better transfer rates on wired over wireless. I've had 3 different routers in the time I've owned the PS3 (Linksys WRT54G and 2 Netger 3700s) and they've all had the same results: wireless is all but unusable.

I started downloading Infamous over wireless. It was going to take something like 5 days. I pulled the cable to network cable on my 360 and plugged it into the PS3. After changing to wireless, it only took a couple hours to finish.

I've used DLNA streaming over the PS3 wireless and have never had issues other than a few movies that had incompatible codecs with the PS3. I changed the format and they ran great.

unless you have a PS3 slim with wireless N coupled with a wireless N router in reasonably close proximity, you will likely have trouble streaming HD video over wireless.

Slim ps3's don't have Wireless N, wish they did but they don't.

I've got at D-Link DAP-1522 bridge hooked up to my ps3 to get a wireless N connection to my DIR-655, and *most* times i can stream 720p HD, but not always. I'm seriously thinking about going back to ethernet.

Last edited:
unless you have a PS3 slim with wireless N coupled with a wireless N router in reasonably close proximity, you will likely have trouble streaming HD video over wireless.

negatron ghostrider, PS3 has wireless G.

The wireless G on the PS3 is noticably slower than the Wireless G on the 360 and they are on the same shelving unit (PS3 on the bottom and 360 right above it)

I have a ps3 slim and a wireless N router. It's fine for streaming smaller video files but most of what I have are 10gb+ bluray rips and they only playback well when hard wired.

So I hard wired my PS3 as a test. Ran speakeasy internet speed test. Wireless 16Mbs wired 56Mbs

I might be wrong, but I remember something about wireless signals working in "bursts" rather than a continuous stream. So for something like streaming, even the buffer isn't enough to do full HD. I tried turning down the quality dramatically in PS3 media server, but I still get stutter as well.

The PS3 slim is wireless G. Xbox 360S is wireless N. Both stutter during playback.

^ i can stream with no issues from Xboc 360 and PC and even Wii....ps3 on the other hand....

Back