Hi,

I intend to buy an internal WiFi card for my PC

Please fast forward to the message #7

///////// old message
and in my country I have the following options available:
Rosewill RNX-N250PCe, 300Mbps, PCIe --> 30e
vs
Linksys WMP600N --> 60e

The money is not a problem, but I would not want to buy something that I really do not need. From what I understand the Linksys model has 'double-band', that if I understood correctly can give you advantages if you're planning to use smartphones, tablets... something I will not use.

My only concern is which one of the two will give me better signal/less lag :).

Any advice? Read that many N250 were DOA on newegg.

Cheers

Last edited:
The real advantage of dual band is if you live in an area with lots of other wi-fi users (e.g. an apartment complex). If you are in a busy environment like that, the 2.4 GHz spectrum tends to have lots of traffic and people on the same channel as you. This can cause reduced throughput and potentially impact your gaming. The 5 GHz spectrum tends to be used way less and can generally be run at full speed without sharing the bandwidth with anyone.

In my apartment complex, I can find around 20 different wi-fi routers in range of me on the 2.4 GHz spectrum and I run that at only 145 Mbps instead of 300 Mbps because all of the interference would probably boot me down to that slower speed anyway. On the 5 GHz spectrum, a quick scan of the channels reveals that I'm the only one using it. That allows me to run things at a wide open 300 Mbps without any interference. I run what I can on 5 GHZ (e.g. wife's computer, streaming TV, etc.) and use the 2.4 GHz spectrum only for older devices that are not dual band. The laws of physics make it so that the higher frequency doesn't have as great of range, but it still reaches everything within our household just fine.

Personally, I would always go dual band these days as it keeps open the option. I'm surprised that your only option for a dual band card you list is using PCI instead of PCIe (and your second card is PCIe). Since it looks like you are shopping at Newegg (Rosewill is their house brand), I would suggest an Intel Centrino based solution instead ($34): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106135

Never, EVER use wireless for a desktop. Use MoCA or even PLN before considering wifi for a stationary machine. Only use wireless when you actually need wireless i.e. for mobile devices.

I own Linksys WMP600N. The quality of that card is below average. It gives me tons of errors and disconnects a lot.

My current wireless card is intel 6205.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to find the intel 6205.

@dandragonrage: I'm in a shared apartment so chances are there is no way I can change the way everybody connects to a router.

@DesertCat: It is possible to have a router emit in 2.4GHz to my roomates and to me in 5GHz at the same time?

Cheers,

Hi,

Turns out it really takes a long time to order it from amazon germany and the sending costs are absolutely prohibitive -ends up costing 67Euro and takes 3 weeks to deliver.

In any case, could you please select the best card you see available in the two following shops?

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/catalog/5369c/Langattomat-Poytakoneisiin?s=price&o=A
http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/586/order/price

Thanks a lot!

PS: About the MoCA/PLN thing, the house does not have cable tv and PLN probably will require changing the router which is outside of my control (shared apartment)

Back