Wired vs Wireless mouse? What's your vote & why?

Wired vs Wireless mice....Why did you choose what you chose?

• Wired

Votes: 129 62.9%
  • Wireless

Votes: 76 37.1%

• Total voters
I don't see this lag you talk about.....I move my mouse the pointer moves. I'm sure there's some lag, but how much latency can there be with a radio signal traveling 20" at the speed of light?

I could understand not liking the MX1000 or Revolution because of Weight issues, but I did a search and couldn't really find anyone complaining about latency, but I didn't spend more than 3 or 4 minutes on that search. Those pages that had the word latency and either of those model names, were all neutral.

If you're a great FPS gamer, then you can probably see something that most users don't see, but I suspect that for the average gamer, the biggest issues between a good wireless mouse an a wired mouse are price, convenience, buttons and weight.

For me it was Convenience and buttons that caused me to choose the MX1000 (followed by it's warranty replacement, the MX Revolution). If you do a lot of mouse lifting, then I think weight may be more important.

I know I found all of those buttons on mthe 1000 a fantastic for games (especially when paired with the Uberoptions mod to setpoint).

Not having to deal with charging and having a dead mouse in a middle of an intense multiplayer game, my vote would be for wired.

crazy, vote is almost two to one for wired. i love wireless for lack of cords. i have a wireless laser mouse that i charge about once a week while i'm at work.

my laser is 1000dpi, would i really see an improvement in fps going to something like a wired razer diamondback optical at 1600dpi?

I wonder how many of those who use a wired mouse that site lag as a reason to use a wired mouse are using CRTs. I don't notice any real lag with my mouse, and I really don't get how there can be any significant lag when the signal is traveling a foot to a receiver.

As i said before, I can't find any reviews for the MX1000 that say it suffers from lag. I did find some that mentioned its lack of lag.

Wired. No batteries to mess, don't have to worry about possible lag with wireless (though I've heard that this is a non-issue with the good wireless mice), less expensive, less weight, and the cord doesn't bother me.

Plus, I'm not one of those people who say "make everything wireless whether it makes sense or not!". Wireless mice makes sense for some occasions, but I always have my mouse plugged into my desktop computer so what's the point? Like I said, the cord doesn't bother me - though I understand why some would consider it a nuisance.

Of course, I'd rather have a crappy wired mouse over a crappy wireless mouse any day. Cheap wireless mice have horrible accuracy and tracking.

wired, no lag, and better precision, not to mention no changing batteries

may not be much lag, depending on the mouse, but its still lag

kind of like the difference between crt's and lcd's

I wonder how many of those who use a wired mouse that site lag as a reason to use a wired mouse are using CRTs. I don't notice any real lag with my mouse, and I really don't get how there can be any significant lag when the signal is traveling a foot to a receiver.

As i said before, I can't find any reviews for the MX1000 that say it suffers from lag. I did find some that mentioned its lack of lag.

I've never noticed any lag on my newish MX Revolution either. If the receiver is a foot away, at the speed of light it will take the signal approximately a thousandth of a millisecond to get there, or one nanosecond. I doubt that anyone's reaction times are that good! That's not to say that the computer will receive and process the input that quickly, but everything else is common to any sort of mouse. Signals don't travel down wires instantaneously either.

I will grant that having to recharge the mouse is annoying though. I preferred the AA batteries of the Microsoft mice which last for months. Weight isn't a big deal as I don't move the mouse far at all, only ever within a few inches - I don't wildly swing over a three foot pad or such.

I use both, wireless for work and wired for gaming. This is mainly because I just love the MX Revolution and how it feels but cannot game with it, and use a Razer Diamonback for gaming and those only come wired.

I have used both over the years, in both work and gaming and can tell a difference at the extreme levels (super fast movements), but in the end what feels best is what I use be it wired or wireless.

Wireless for regular daily tasks, and wired when gaming. Sometimes I like to recline back and watch tv, but sit at the desk. I hate having to worry about wires pulling out onto the desk. I only used my wired mouse for gaming.

nothin sucks more than running out of battery while gaming.

This is true, but Logitech's 1000 and revolution can be charged every day, if you so choose. My new revolution is used 8hour/day 5 days a week....I'm now on day 8 without charging. I'm guessing I'll get another day or so before I have to charge it.

If you have one that takes AA or AAA batteries, you can buy rechargeable batteries and just keep a spare set. Rayovac's hybrid batteries can hold a charge for months, so it's not hard to have a fully charged set in a drawer....or just keep a pair of alkaline batteries to toss in while you charge the NMh set.

I know, everyone has there preferences, but to me the best reason for a gamer to go with a wired mouse is weight. Good wireless mouse don't have lag and under heavy use, the batteries last at least a week without charging (unless you game more than 8 hours/day, in which case, it may be time to get a job ;))

Back