• USB wireless

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Wire

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

DREW10

Weaksauce
hey,
I just got a DSL router for the computer, but my mom got me a USB wireless hub for my comp.. Im in my room now, with our wireless laptop and it runs fine. But Im not sure if the usb will be as fast as the laptops wireless card. So, should I keep wireless hub or get or use 50' of DSL cable????

what speed wireless?? if it's even 11mbps it will handle ALL that your DSL will thow at it. There is no way that any residential DSL will max out even the SLOWEST wireless... unless of course its bluetooth.

QJ

P.S. 11Mbps is about 1.5megaBYTE's per second. That is T1 Speed.....

QwertyJuan said:
what speed wireless?? if it's even 11mbps it will handle ALL that your DSL will thow at it. There is no way that any residential DSL will max out even the SLOWEST wireless... unless of course its bluetooth.

QJ

P.S. 11Mbps is about 1.5megaBYTE's per second. That is T1 Speed.....

thats theoretical max for wireless, in reality youll see around 500kilobyte pre second with 802.11b

i've never been a fan of networking through usb unless absolutely necessary. i cant say i have a valid reason.

I'm not grasping what's being compared here, as none of the terms quite make sense.

Please correct me where I'm wrong:
You have a wired DSL modem.
You do not have a NAT-capable router
You have a wireless hub to allow several computers to connect to a LAN
For some reason, this uses USB??
You're considering running... phone cable and moving the DSL modem? There's no "DSL cable."

Like Briguy, I'd avoid USB for networking given the choice, but if it's USB2, that's 480Mbps, much faster than Fast Ethernet and WiFi. If it works, why switch?
A bigger concern, though, is the lack of a router. You should have one for two reasons: cheaper multi-computer access (no extra IPs needed) and security. Virtually all have a built-in switch, eliminating the need for the USB hub thingy.

11Mbps, even when not running theoretical max, will almost certainly be faster than the DSL connection. I'll assume it's the usual 1.5Mbps.

Also, QJ, T-1s are 1.5Mbps (bits), not bytes. DSL down is roughly the same as T-1.

Maybe I am slow today; but what you going to hook up, the laptop or a desktop?

I just got a 802.11.G linksys router, should I keep the USB hub or run a wire through the house to my desktop, does that make more sense??????

Back