Wiping a SSD...

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
I recently had an SSD break on me. It shows up as a drive but is inaccessible. It's been RMA'd and i've got to send it off. Now, there just so happens to be stuff on the drive that I would prefer people didn't see. Not pr0n. We're talking NDA type of stuff. Also my keys for ultimate, might have some credit card details, etc. so i'd feel better if it was blank. I know with HDDs you could magnet them to wipe. But is there something similar that would work on SSDs? I know I could drill it, but I need to RMA the thing. Or should I not worry?

Last edited:
Possibly secure erase but if that worked the drive probably still works. Even that does not erase the NAND chips though just the mapping between the blocks and cells. This should be a concern with any RMA of a data storage product.

Last edited:
Thats what my worry was broken drive = no access to data.
I'm not an expert on NAND but it uses tunnel injection. Which would mean the right electric charge would reset it...If I knew what it was or had a way of making it...or where to send it.
It is a repitable company, and I am sure they have better things to do than look at data. But It is still a concern!

Back