WinXP CD Key Question

Blazemore

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a oem winxp disk from gateway without the cd key. (my luck) Is there anyway to view the cd key off the oem disk. Called gateway and microsoft no help.

I am pretty sure I have seen a way but I don't remember where.
I will look around for you because now I'm curious too...

The CDkey shouldnt be on the CD, they make thousands of those CD's, each one would have the same CDKey

Although in the I386 folder, there may be a file called "UNATTEND.TXT" that has a generic CDKey you can use to install with, use for a little but, but it wont activate with it.

magical jellybean finder works great for finding the currently used/installed CDKey

there should be a cd key sticker on the gateway PC. That's what most retailers do.

there are apps. on the net, that can view your cd-key. plus iam pretty sure that the CD key is stored in your registry. if you can find these cd-key finders around on the net. PM me, ill email it to you.

p0lish said:
there should be a cd key sticker on the gateway PC. That's what most retailers do.

This is why most of us look at these threads with a weary eye (or two) consider all OEMs have stickers on the PC with the CD key. This is your actual license.

I found the unattend.txt folder and under [user data] got the product key? I tried to use that where xp ask for product key and all I get is "product id which.........invalid"

Yes I know gateway has the cd key sticker....here is the rest of the story. I was given the cd by our comapny tech guys installing gateway computers. They use the network to install the os on every computer and trash the oem copies disks that came with the computer. So if there just going to trash it why not try to use it.

What happened to the sticker on your case? If you didn't get one, you need to be in the nearest gateway store, or on the phone with them to get it...because you paid for it.

By the way, the os has not been installed (thats what I am trying to do) so I cant use a installed OS cd key finder

DBWillis: That is what I was referring to. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking further. :)

Blazemore said:
They use the network to install the os on every computer and trash the oem copies disks that came with the computer. So if there just going to trash it why not try to use it.
Well, for one, the OEM license doesn't extend beyond the original hardware. For two, it sounds like the license is still in use -- just not installed by CD (though I may have misinterpreted this)

All I know is every computer they get has the os installed from gateway with a oem winxp disk (the one I have). Soon as they hook all the computers up to the network, they delete the current os from each computer at the sametime and install their own licensed one.

If there is no way to make this work, no big deal. I was just trying to use what others throw away or waste for that matter.

Blazemore said:
all I know is every computer they get has the os installed from gateway with a oem winxp disk (the one i have). soon as they hook all the computers up to the network, they delete the current os and install there own licensed one.

If there is no way to make this work its, no big deal. I was just trying to use what others throw away or waste for that matter.

Well ask them if they can peel the sticker off one of the Gateway machines next time they wipe the OS.

Blazemore said:
By the way, the os has not been installed (thats what I am trying to do) so I cant use a installed OS cd key finder

and

Blazemore said:
Yes I know gateway has the cd key sticker....here is the rest of the story. I was given the cd by our comapny tech guys installing gateway computers. They use the network to install the os on every computer and trash the oem copies disks that came with the computer. So if there just going to trash it why not try to use it.

From what you are saying above the OS has been installed and the key used. Each cd is not a unique cd but each key is, as dbwillis said. For example I can take any Windows XP Pro cd and install but I have to use my purchased key each time. You need to pay for your own key and then you could use one of those cd's. If you don't have a key, those cd's won't help you.

Blazemore said:
...they delete the current os from each computer at the sametime and install their own licensed one.
Then the OEM license is still legally tied to the original hardware, and can't be transferred. That's just how Windows OEM licenses work.

dariob said:
Well ask them if they can peel the sticker off one of the Gateway machines next time they wipe the OS.

I'll try to ask if they can get the sticker next time. I was just at the right place right time watching them throw 35- 40 disks in the trash. It seems for the most part this quest is pretty much dead in the water. I'll trash the cd, thanks for the help

Back