Wine 3.0 released

I need to upgrade...IIRC I have their Ubuntu repo added to my box.

Any phoronix tests?

Kind of what I'm waiting on, course, I also need to do whatever I need to do to get Steam running on my Linux machine- I have a W10 license for the box as well, which I'll need to reinstall, so maybe run some comparison benches?

It's an i5-7500k, running at stock (damn you Linux for hating overclocks) with 32GB of DDR4-3000 and a GTX970 currently also running at stock.

Dunno. Got really, really weird looking bugs that went away after setting to stock. I'll have more time to play with it later.

Hmm, I've never encountered this...?

I guess there will be differences between operating systems, but I never imagined they'd be that drastic or noticeable.

I've never had an issue with an overclock under Linux. Always used the same overclock on my system no matter the OS. That said, I always tested the hell out of my overclocks to make sure they were actually stable. If an overclock seems stable using one OS but shits the bed using another OS, it's likely the overclock isn't actually stable.

I've noticed linux is more picky with unstable overclocks. Windows may run seemingly ok but linux will produce errors. It probably has to do with Windows having built in redundancy (it can automatically restart services and drivers after the apparently frequent crashes). For example in Windows your display can crash and you only see it go dark for a second, then continue working. On linux it's a show stopper.

I've noticed linux is more picky with unstable overclocks. Windows may run seemingly ok but linux will produce errors. It probably has to do with Windows having built in redundancy (it can automatically restart services and drivers after the apparently frequent crashes). For example in Windows your display can crash and you only see it go dark for a second, then continue working. On linux it's a show stopper.

As far as i remember, ever since Vista Windows has had the capability to recover after a display driver crash, and it does recover. The problem is that after it's recovered the performance is co crappy you need to reboot anyway just to get your fps beyond a slide show.

I've never noticed an overly perceptible difference between Windows and Linux overclocks though?

This is awesome news. Wine has come so far in the past decade. Amazing.

You had an unstable overclock.

Well, I absolutely will not deny the possibility, but it was stable in Windows running various stability tests at those settings. I'll play with it again after I finish moving.

Wine 3.5 came out a few days ago. Need to see how these Vulkan improvements work out. :)

WineHQ said:
What's new in this release:

• More Vulkan support, including the vulkan-1 loader.
  • Support for RSA and ECDSA cryptographic keys.
  • Improved manifest file parser.
  • Support for the Places toolbar in file dialogs.
  • Various bug fixes.

That should tell you something about Windows ;)

It's fault-tolerant?

I mean, the difference was stark- we're not just talking about the Windows install loading a desktop, but running stress test apps successfully, whereas the Linux install straight up refused to boot, let alone stress tested, without the overclock being removed.

It's fault-tolerant?

I mean, the difference was stark- we're not just talking about the Windows install loading a desktop, but running stress test apps successfully, whereas the Linux install straight up refused to boot, let alone stress tested, without the overclock being removed.

What distro where you running ?

I have never had any issue over clocking under most distros. Some distros however will not be happy if your running overclocks. You have to consider what the distro is designed to do... yes most server oriented distros don't like over clocked hardware, that's by design. If your running RHEL/Cent, Ubuntu server, SUSE I wouldn't suggest overclocking at all. If you are having issues with more performance centric distros though I would be curious to know more.

Ubuntu Budgie, I think?

In the middle of moving...

Hmm interesting. Ubuntu I believe in general is fine with over clocks. To be honest the only issues I would think anyone should have that are distro related would be RHEL and SLES perhaps where they have software that will watch for hardware faults ect and may stop things on purpose.

I wonder if its perhaps the Budgie integration somehow. I haven't really played with Budgie much myself but I know even in arch based distros I have heard it tends to be a little less then stable compared to the more standard DE options.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OverclockingCpu This isn't great info or anything but could perhaps help a bit. turbostat is a good way to know what your actually running at. One thing you'll find with people new to linux is knowing that in general most CPU info tools are just pulling the data from /proc/cpuinfo ... so running say >cat /proc/cpuinfo will list all the info on your CPU but it will list the stock speed even if there is an over clock on it.

What distro where you running ?

I have never had any issue over clocking under most distros. Some distros however will not be happy if your running overclocks. You have to consider what the distro is designed to do... yes most server oriented distros don't like over clocked hardware, that's by design. If your running RHEL/Cent, Ubuntu server, SUSE I wouldn't suggest overclocking at all. If you are having issues with more performance centric distros though I would be curious to know more.

I've never had any issues with a stable overclock on openSUSE. I ran that as the OS on my primary system for at least a few years and never once had an issue with the overclock in my sig. I've also used openSUSE as the OS on my server for more than ten years now and never once had an issue with an overclock there with similar hardware.

The only time I've heard of issues with an overclock going from Windows to Linux was with an unstable overclock. Keep in mind that although the overclock in Windows may not crash the system or anything, it may still not be stable and that instability will eventually toast the OS, programs and data. Just because you don't see a catastrophic issue doesn't mean it's not stable and if it's not stable, your data will eventually be corrupted.

It wouldn't surprise me if Linux is less forgiving with regards to unstable overclocks and unstable hardware and I have no issue with that. I do not want unstable hardware in my system corrupting data in the background.

I've never had any issues with a stable overclock on openSUSE. I ran that as the OS on my primary system for at least a few years and never once had an issue with the overclock in my sig. I've also used openSUSE as the OS on my server for more than ten years now and never once had an issue with an overclock there with similar hardware.

The only time I've heard of issues with an overclock going from Windows to Linux was with an unstable overclock. Keep in mind that although the overclock in Windows may not crash the system or anything, it may still not be stable and that instability will eventually toast the OS, programs and data. Just because you don't see a catastrophic issue doesn't mean it's not stable and if it's not stable, your data will eventually be corrupted.

It wouldn't surprise me if Linux is less forgiving with regards to unstable overclocks and unstable hardware and I have no issue with that. I do not want unstable hardware in my system corrupting data in the background.

I was thinking more of SLES but I bet there is little difference with OpenSuse. :) Now that I think about it I ran OpenSuse rolling to play with it for a month or so at one point and never changed my 300mhz or so overclock on that machine.

I was thinking more of SLES but I bet there is little difference with OpenSuse. :) Now that I think about it I ran OpenSuse rolling to play with it for a month or so at one point and never changed my 300mhz or so overclock on that machine.

My main system and my server were both running 1.2Ghz overclocks for 3.6Ghz on my Q6600s. If there was going to be an issue with inherent instability due to having an overclock in Linux, I'm pretty sure it would have shown up in the past 10 years.

My main system and my server were both running 1.2Ghz overclocks for 3.6Ghz on my Q6600s. If there was going to be an issue with inherent instability due to having an overclock in Linux, I'm pretty sure it would have shown up in the past 10 years.

Ah yes! I remember running my Q6600 at 3.6! Great little processors.

Back