WiNDy Cases

kjeldoran

Gawd
Just to let everyone know, WiNDy will be shipping worldwide now. http://www-online.jp/index.html is the website stating they will be doing so.

Why am I posting this? They have 3 mini-itx cases they have in their lineup.

http://windy-online.com/case/cube_case/polo_rhapsody/
http://windy-online.com/case/cube_case/majesta2/
http://windy-online.com/case/cube_case/mc3_fx/

Only issue?

Cost, these cases are expensive. Any questions about navigating the site I can try to give a translation to what they are asking since I am studying Japanese.

i wish i had bought one when I was actually in japan

The real question is...can I get a review!

Not great the the enthusiast though.

The Polo Rhapsody case looks really nice. Kind of like the PSile mITX case available here in the US.

Yeah finally!

Just when I came to the conclusion that acquiring WINDy case is just too much work...

Arigatou.

These cases run about $300 to $600.

I love the look, but I can't justify $300 for an mATX case. I could by an i920 for that.

$300? Might as well buy a Qmicra. Quality build, performance, and made in America.

Nice. I was considering getting one but I didn't feel like paying for some forwarding service. Might get one now. Too bad Abee doesn't do that. I want one of their acubic T20s.

They look like very high quality and I was excited for a second, but the specs are a show stopper. I could be wrong but it looks like a single 80mm fan, room for just a 7" video, 2" cpu cooler and the PSU??? That is no gaming box. Sorry, next.

They look like very high quality and I was excited for a second, but the specs are a show stopper. I could be wrong but it looks like a single 80mm fan, room for just a 7" video, 2" cpu cooler and the PSU??? That is no gaming box. Sorry, next.
No but these are http://elpibe10.webs.com/ , http://www.freewebs.com/elpibe10/therest.htm . Just got to pick the case to fit your needs. ;)

I would love to make an itx build around the Windy MC3 Striker case ( note: 2nd link ), I hope that case makes the list of cases being sold overseas. :)

Last edited:

The Windy MC3 FX has room for 280mm video and a stand atx psu. It looks like the cooler can be at least 4-5".

The majesta 2 can fit a 260mm video card, standard atx psu, and well the cooler yeah, it has a max height of 70mm. That is about 10mm short of the sg06. I don't think it is that big of a deal. It does use 80mm fans though.

Polo Rhapsody...yeah, that looks like it is for low power systems.

The Windy MC3 FX has room for 280mm video and a stand atx psu. It looks like the cooler can be at least 4-5".

The majesta 2 can fit a 260mm video card, standard atx psu, and well the cooler yeah, it has a max height of 70mm. That is about 10mm short of the sg06. I don't think it is that big of a deal. It does use 80mm fans though.

Polo Rhapsody...yeah, that looks like it is for low power systems.

The new 12" cards are 300mm if I did the metric conversion correctly.

The new 12" cards are 300mm if I did the metric conversion correctly.

True, but you can still fit a card with decent power in the system. The 5850 is 9.5" in length I think and leaves roughly 1.5" for power connectors (280mm = ~11"). I just replied to him since 7"(~180mm) was an incorrect figure for some of the mini ITX cases.

However, the only issue I can foresee is the lack of a 2nd pci slot in the back which means you need to find a single slot 5850(or modify one...) or go with a weaker alternative. Still a 5850 could work if you were creative enough :).

$300? Might as well buy a Qmicra. Quality build, performance, and made in America.

What are you trying to imply there? lol. Because American made shit nowadays suck majorly. Let me show you my Trailblazer for example. :p

What are you trying to imply there? lol. Because American made shit nowadays suck majorly. Let me show you my Trailblazer for example. :p

I'm implying that the Qmicra is top quality in build and performance and if you are going to spend $300 or more might as well go ahead and buy a good quality American product that is already made here. I thought that was evident.

I'm not one to go around and say 'buy American' just to support American products but if you have a homeland product that is every bit as good or better and is definitely cheaper then why not? :D

I have had over six different types of cases over the years, Not one of them was good enough to keep around for my next build. I would not mind spending 250+ for a case as long as I know that it will most likely be my last case I ever buy.

Sadly the Qmicra just does not cut the mustard in that department, At least for me. For a case that sales for around 240-260 bucks you would expect it to be more artfully done.

I have had over six different types of cases over the years, Not one of them was good enough to keep around for my next build. I would not mind spending 250+ for a case as long as I know that it will most likely be my last case I ever buy.

Sadly the Qmicra just does not cut the mustard in that department, At least for me. For a case that sales for around 240-260 bucks you would expect it to be more artfully done.
what can't the Qmicra V2 do that you wish it could?

Oh don't get me wrong it's a good case, it can do just about everything except win a beauty contest.

Every time I see one it reminds me of a barn. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

That MC3-FX is gorgeous. I hope they license their cases over to NewEgg or something.

That MC3-FX is gorgeous. I hope they license their cases over to NewEgg or something.

I agree. Fantastic layout with superb airflow. Just ordered a 2nd one earlier today :p

dpbr.jpg

I'll second that. I'd buy an American case if one looked good and was constructed well. The Qmicra Qv2E seems solidly constructed but looks terrible. The footprint ensures it's not going to fit easily under a desk, which means it needs to be placed on top of a desk. If it's going to take up desk real estate it'd better look outstanding - which the qmicra does not. Powder coat isn't a deal breaker, but it's not a showcase finish either. The real deal breaker is the lines, both silhouette and the unfortunate patterning of the visible seams. They could probably market it to LED freaks by adding some flashing stuff to it but if they think they are going to catch the minimalist/understated crowd with that they are sadly mistaken. That said - if I were designing an embedded system I could see myself going with Qmicra, not the Qv2E, but the Slim-mATX or similar. As it stands I don't think Qmicra is going anywhere if they keep up the same design philosophy.

A funny thing just happened. I was looking over the Qmicra Qv2E specs again when my girlfriend walks in.

Her: Why are you looking at that? I thought you were going to buy another silver one. (We have three Lian-Li cases)
Me: (guardedly hoping for a candid response) Why what's wrong with this one?
Her: Nothing. It just looks like a tool box.
Me: (chokes on my soda laughing)

Here's a picture of it for those who missed the link earlier:

75.jpg

Dave at PCDLabs has a successful business. Maybe you should tell him he doesn't. LOL
As far as looks go... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone will agree with you. Some will and some won't. If you think looks trump performance then that's your call. :)

Dave at PCDLabs has a successful business. Maybe you should tell him he doesn't. LOL
As far as looks go... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone will agree with you. Some will and some won't. If you think looks trump performance then that's your call. :)

Your defense of your friend's business is to be commended. However I couldn't help but notice that in your comment on the Qv2E you didn't say that you yourself found the case to be ascetically pleasing. I hope for PCDLab's sake that one day their product is championed not only by those who know of Dave personally but by the whole community; not in defense of a person but in defense of a product superior in every aspect.

As may be seen in other threads one way to achieve this is by listening to or even soliciting feedback from the community. For example "Da Box" started with a rough prototype, found the main criticism to be the look of the front panel and is adjusting their manufacturing accordingly. Their product appears set to gain a dedicated following. Another less clear example is the PC-Q07, which has IMO excellent looks and lackluster utility. Presumably someone said "hey this case could really use a case fan and room for a two slot video card". A PC-Q08 is due later this year that (I hope) addresses these concerns. These are examples of criticism combined with a process of continual improvement that leads to products which don't require defending.

I hope PCDLabs takes all criticisms into account in the next iteration of their Qv2E as I feel it will benefit them as well as the whole community. The SFF space seems set to grow and is sadly void of quality when compared to the full sized tower product space. If PCDLab's is able to fill this niche I will support them accordingly - with money rather than banter on a forum. I for one fervently wish that I didn't have to purchase from a Taiwanese or Japanese company in order to own a case I can be proud to feature on my desk.

Back on topic, if PCDLabs cloned the above WiNDy case I would be happy to purchase it from them.

Last edited:
The SFF space seems set to grow and is sadly void of quality when compared to the full sized tower product space.

That is sadly true. The Windy ITX cases provided a glimmer of hope, but alas their achilles heel is they have just an 80mm cooling fan. That is an embarrassment when others already have 120-180mm fans in their ITX boxes. Providing links to Windy mid tower cases with bigger fans is a ridiculous response. Windy needs to fix this fundamental design flaw to have a real ITX product. Smaller should not mean lower quality.

PSile nexus is pretty cool; however, i'd rather have it have a SFX psu instead of pico. has a pci slot which is cool... but can't really use it for a video card cause of the power psu

Either it's just me or they fail at website design... where do I view their cases?

That is sadly true. The Windy ITX cases provided a glimmer of hope, but alas their achilles heel is they have just an 80mm cooling fan. That is an embarrassment when others already have 120-180mm fans in their ITX boxes. Providing links to Windy mid tower cases with bigger fans is a ridiculous response. Windy needs to fix this fundamental design flaw to have a real ITX product. Smaller should not mean lower quality.
I see itx cases at there site with both 120 & 80mm fans ? There are options for the buyer and I guess it would depend on how you build your itx. Some people build low power / low heat systems and don't really need large fan's. Finding a case to fit there needs is just as viable as the power user that is looking for more cooling.

http://windy-online.com/case/

Hint : Look at the URL shown on bottom left of your browser for clues ;)
Hah!

Well they seem to subscribe mostly to the square box design of overpriced Lian Li. Seems to me the fascination is that they are an asian company. I dig the anodized surfaces, but they need more front airflow on most of their cases. I'll give the Qmicra credit for that.

I would like that come out a new version of MC2 that can fit double slot vga card: in that case will be perfect for me!

X elpibe10; 'cause you have one, could you tell me exactly how much space there is from the vga fan and the side panel of the case? thanks

elpibe10; 'cause you have one, could you tell me exactly how much space there is from the vga fan and the side panel of the case? thanks

I did a quick measurement and any gfx card cooler that's within an inch in height will fit.

Back