Windows XP SP2 (FINAL) **1st post updated**

I have tried to download this three times with it crashing towards the end what am i doing wrong - ? I use dial up but all other downloads work find

HELP
Starship Warrior

Looks like i can't install. I keep getting an error that Atapi.sys is open or in use by another program.

I have installed it and since reformatted. It ran good for sometime except some issues with IE not displaying pages correct as previous people have stated. However I had issues with my DLink bluetooth adapter it stopped working after install. I tried to reinstall it but windows had its own bluetooth which didnt work with my ericsson phone.

So back to SP1 for now...

This probably gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any idea when the real, final version will get release? I'm doing a reinstall of Windows in a few days so should I wait for SP2?

Deadlierchair said:
This probably gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any idea when the real, final version will get release? I'm doing a reinstall of Windows in a few days so should I wait for SP2?

I heard late July, possibly early August at the latest. However don't hold me to it, I am not 100% sure. I would reinstall windows and use SP1, and get the beta if your feeling daring (though, I haven't had any problems yet). Unless of course you want to wait for a month and a half.

Eh, I guess I'll just install SP1. Stability issues are no fun on a machine that should be 100% fast and stable. Besides, I already use FireFox, Zonealarm, and use windows update. SP2 doesn't really look that appealing to me besides the fact that updates generally "help" and the new networking setup stuff looks nice, especially the wireless network selection screen. :)

sp2winXP.JPG

wirelessnetworks.JPG

i am running it on my laptop as of tonight, and it seems pretty flawless to me so far. i have not found anything wrong with it yet, and i will be installing it on my desktop after a week or so of testing on the laptop.

thanks for the linkage to the sp2 download.

starshipwarrior said:
I have tried to download this three times with it crashing towards the end what am i doing wrong - ? I use dial up but all other downloads work find

HELP
Starship Warrior

Crashing? You mean the download doesn't complete? The download is quite large, is it possible your dial up ISP is causing issues?

i was wondering if anyone knew the syntax to specify port ranges in the windows firewall, when you are configuring a port on the 3rd option. for instance 10.9.8.1-10.9.8.15. 10.9.8.* doesn't work either. or maybe its just not possible?

I updated the SP2 a few months ago and its running great. Love the new features and i've had no problems with games, software or stability.

The one major bug i've noticed is when launching media files from links on webpages. The files dont open in a media player or bring up a download box, they just display as code in the IE window. I have to right click and save then it works.

I heard that MS knows about the issue... but I dont know for sure.

Alright, I'm still confused.

I checked my Add/Remove programs recently and I saw this:

SP2.jpg

Is SP2 out yet? If you download the beta now, will there be much difference then the actual?

ComputerBox34 said:
Alright, I'm still confused.

I checked my Add/Remove programs recently and I saw this:

SP2.jpg

Is SP2 out yet? If you download the beta now, will there be much difference then the actual?
Its in the RC stages right now, they are just cleaning up the final bugs (yeah right, more like patching bugs with more bugs) but unless they decide to add more features, I'm sure it will be the same, with less bugs than now.

They can pre release hotfixes that are a part of SP2.

Thanks,

I just downloaded the beta and it's great so far. Much faster log in, faster performance, etc. Haven't tried gaming yet but hopefully it will be great too.

I downloaded my copy, and I really liked what I saw. The new firewall is quite snazzy and it's overall pretty good. However, when browsing one of my drives (my one full of movies), explorer ALWAYS crash. I had high hopes since it was RC2, but I guess I'll just wait until the final release...

EDIT: Great, and now it's doing it after I uninstalled SP2. I guess I'll have to reformat...again...*stabs Microsoft*

2nd EDIT: Okay, I uninstalled SP2, did a Disk Check on all my drives and repaired any errors (there weren't any). Then I reinstalled SP2 RC2 and things are just peachy. It does seem a little faster than SP1, and there's nothing I can see that's broken ATM.

I had a problem with SP2 and the windows installer not working at all. had to rollback.

was/is anyone having this problem?

and if you did have that problem, does the newest release fix this?

thanks.

My installer was fine on both versions that have come out. Did you download from Windows Update? Or from the internet?

Neocorteqz said:
Looks like i can't install. I keep getting an error that Atapi.sys is open or in use by another program.

Uninstall Daemon Tools (or any other virtual drive app) and then you can install SP2. I had the same issue. You can reinstall it after the SP is loaded.

Techguy said:
Uninstall Daemon Tools (or any other virtual drive app) and then you can install SP2. I had the same issue. You can reinstall it after the SP is loaded.
didn't want uninstall Alcohol 120%. so i renamed the file, worked fine.

yeah that works too :->

Diff subject:
I have RC1 installed (from the DL) and it's v.2096
When I go to Windows Update it says DL SP 2 RC2
so it starts the Updates are being DLed and installed.
The DL/install fails (doesn't say why).

I'm going to try the DL full install of SP2 RC2 now.

<update> Turns out SP2 RC2 found out about my XP Corp key :-<.. oh well, I'll have to auctually install one of my legit XP Pro keys now. </update>

ComputerBox34 said:
I have SP2 RC2 and the version is 2189 or something. (Not sure if thats exact)

No I think you have 2149 and if you do have 2189 screenshots?

First thing I noticed after I installed it and rebooted was that my on board sound actually played the full introduction music. Going thru spdif it would chop off a second or two for sp2.

SP2 is weird...
ive tracked down the only issue i have with it to the new auto updater service..
whats weird, there are no current updates for it. yet every boot, it goes and seems to look at the whole HD (5 minute constant HD light), then use 50-60% cpu, then more HD access, then just stops

if i disable the "automatic updates" service (in the MMC, not in system info screen, big point here, disabling it in system info does not stop the service, nor stop this strange activity), it doesnt do it at all.

I see we have an MS person here so I'll throw this in, I've already done a bug report but they are not very user friendly. :D

For the most part my upgrade to SP2 RC2 was okay via the WU but my main concern is a slow down in boot time or the time the desktop appears and all processes finish loading in looking at the Event Viewer and Applications I see every boot time I get an error ID 1001 that refers to msInstaller I feel this must be all if not part of the reason for slow boots typically the message refers to missing apps such as excel.exe these programs are where they should be as I have checked and the apps work fine or seem to ;)

Here is a copy of the 4 messages ;

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'PPTFiles' failed during request for component '{FC780C4C-F066-40E0-B720-DA0F779B81A9}'

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'PPTFiles', component '{FC780C4C-F066-40E0-B720-DA0F779B81A9}' failed. The resource 'D:\Microsoft Office\Office10\POWERPNT.EXE' does not exist

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'EXCELFiles' failed during request for component '{5572D282-F5E5-11D3-A8E8-0060083FD8D3}'

Detection of product '{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}', feature 'EXCELFiles', component '{5572D282-F5E5-11D3-A8E8-0060083FD8D3}' failed. The resource 'D:\Microsoft Office\Office10\EXCEL.EXE' does not exist.

The other thing I noticed was shortly after the instal I had another lan device that refered to MS audio and video!!!!!!! this then disapeared after a reboot but why was MS highjacking my ADSL? :confused:

Anyway hope somebody can help with the above. or by the way this is only RC2 work as after discovering the issue I went back to SP1 and there was no issues then reloaded RC2 again and the problem was back.

Thanks - sorry about the long post.

installed it, rebooted, and then it hang on the black "please white" screen.. got tired of waiting, so rebooted, and then it would just hang on "starting up windows..." screen :(

any ideas?

QQuxa said:
installed it, rebooted, and then it hang on the black "please white" screen.. got tired of waiting, so rebooted, and then it would just hang on "starting up windows..." screen :( any ideas?

Boot into safe mode and uninstall SP2. After that, do a complete drive scan and defrag etc. (all your system maintenance) and if you want to, try again. I did that and it's now working great for me (SP2 RC2 installed).

is rc2 killing serials yet?? i actually own a license but am runnin a corp copy because that was what i had at the time of my install....

I'm running RC2 and I've haven't had any serial problems. In fact, I've had no problems and everything seems to be running faster than before.

thats what i wanted to hear... have we heard anything about final versions or will this call for a fresh oem install??

bignasty said:
thats what i wanted to hear... have we heard anything about final versions or will this call for a fresh oem install??

This is RC2, so it sorta is final. Microsoft will probably finish it up and will realese it somewhere in between July and August.

Deadlierchair said:
Boot into safe mode and uninstall SP2. After that, do a complete drive scan and defrag etc. (all your system maintenance) and if you want to, try again. I did that and it's now working great for me (SP2 RC2 installed).

safe mode doesnt boot either - same problem ("starting up windows...")

QQuxa said:
safe mode doesnt boot either - same problem ("starting up windows...")

Damn....that's no good. You might have lost the SP2 battle and have to reinstall everything. Don't do that quite yet, but you may have to. Ask around to see if anyone else has other ideas but if nothing else works, throw that hard drive in another computer, grab the files off of it, then format it and reinstall.

well for now i fixed it by reinstalling xp over this broken installation. takes ages to boot, gives lots of errors in event viewer, but works. i'll do a clean reinstall later. was about to slipstream sp2 rc2 and then install, but then i thought that i wont be able to uninstall it when official sp2 comes out, so aint sure now..

Back