Windows XP SP2 (FINAL) **1st post updated**

question for those slipstreaming. Are you slipstreaming to the original XP install, or with Sp1?

Sp2 is all inclusive, so it shouldn't matter, but for the sake of seeing if it's messing up ppl's puters that are doing a fresh install with it already slipstreamed, it'd be nice to know what your base XP was.

CookiePuss said:
could have something to do with your theme, try putting back the normal theme, see if it works.

You were right.

The "Red White & Blue (vga)" scheme messes it all up.

Nazo said:
Just be sure you turn off the automatic download of it then. You have until the 16-th, and then it will be forced on you no matter how you feel about it.

:confused: , I really haven't followed SP2 at all, so what is this all about? How are they going to force it upon us?

_cashel said:
:confused: , I really haven't followed SP2 at all, so what is this all about? How are they going to force it upon us?

You will not get any security updates until you have SP2.

Well, I finally downloaded it, but even that was a task.
I could only download it using IE, if I used firefox I got an error at the end of download about unable to read source data. I'm going to slipstream it first and then try an upgrade. If it fails, I have my slipstream disc to fall back on.

odoe said:
Well, I finally downloaded it, but even that was a task.
I could only download it using IE, if I used firefox I got an error at the end of download about unable to read source data. I'm going to slipstream it first and then try an upgrade. If it fails, I have my slipstream disc to fall back on.

Let us know how it goes Odoe. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones where everything works properly. :)

BTW, your name reminds me of star trek DS9. :rolleyes:

Anyone notice that the pop-up blocking doesn't work worth a damn? I have it set to "high" and yet I receive numerous pop-ups through my browsing session.

I formatted, reinstalled windows and applied sp2. Everything was fine until yesterday...

I tried to run GunBound (sorta worms like game over the internet...) and everytime i started the game, windows crashed into blue screen of death...

Any ideas? Should i uninstall and reinstall sp2?

chinoquezada said:
I formatted, reinstalled windows and applied sp2. Everything was fine until yesterday...

I tried to run GunBound (sorta worms like game over the internet...) and everytime i started the game, windows crashed into blue screen of death...

Any ideas? Should i uninstall and reinstall sp2?
i have gunbound running on my pc do you by chance have a diffrent firewall i had tiny personal and that caused it to lock up and give memory errors

phatnadz said:
Anyone notice that the pop-up blocking doesn't work worth a damn? I have it set to "high" and yet I receive numerous pop-ups through my browsing session.

My pop up blocker is fine and I have not seen 1 pop up ever since I got it.

well, DIVX is atleast borked with SP2 if DEP is installed. DIVX is recommending everyone turn off DEP until they can get a new SP2 friendly version out..

Needless to say, I'm not in a rush to get SP2 on my box. I have all the windows updates, I'm on a non-routeable IP behind a firewall (that's running on my linux box), and my email gets scanned for virus's when I get it. That and I've been on the internet long enuff to download anything suspect..

As a whole I don't think SP2 is anything I'm going to be missing just yet.. Until they start making stuff require SP2, I probably won't upgrade untill all the 3rd party software works correctly..

:mad: Well sh*t, I just finished installing SP2 on my main system..using the network complete package...and everything seemed fine. System rebooted and brought me through updates and firewall selections. Then, I went to windowsd update V5 and it kept giving me an error. So I went ahead and rebooted my machine for the hell of it and guess what happens next: My computer never boots into windows. System just hangs with a blank screen after all the BIOS loads up. Pressing F8 works in that it gives me a choice for safe mode, command prompt, last known good config, etc. But anything I choose results in the same result: blank screen, system hangs, no splash screen even loads. Dammit! I am so sick of this BS. Isnt SP2 supposed to be released tomorrow to all windows users? What is going to happen with all these documented problems occurring to various users? I popped in my winXP Pro CD and tried to do a repair, but it brings me to this command line crap and I have no idea how to uninstall SP2 via this interface. Iwas able to navigate to my C:\windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$\ directory, but dont have a friggin clue what to do once im in there. Can anyone please help me? My wife will kill me if I at least dont retrieve picture files in MY Pictures directory. Thanks and good luck if you're taking the SP1.5 plunge

KJC

ma><1mu$ said:
:mad: Well sh*t, I just finished installing SP2 on my main system..using the network complete package...and everything seemed fine. System rebooted and brought me through updates and firewall selections. Then, I went to windowsd update V5 and it kept giving me an error. So I went ahead and rebooted my machine for the hell of it and guess what happens next: My computer never boots into windows. System just hangs with a blank screen after all the BIOS loads up. Pressing F8 works in that it gives me a choice for safe mode, command prompt, last known good config, etc. But anything I choose results in the same result: blank screen, system hangs, no splash screen even loads. Dammit! I am so sick of this BS. Isnt SP2 supposed to be released tomorrow to all windows users? What is going to happen with all these documented problems occurring to various users? I popped in my winXP Pro CD and tried to do a repair, but it brings me to this command line crap and I have no idea how to uninstall SP2 via this interface. Iwas able to navigate to my C:\windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$\ directory, but dont have a friggin clue what to do once im in there. Can anyone please help me? My wife will kill me if I at least dont retrieve picture files in MY Pictures directory. Thanks and good luck if you're taking the SP1.5 plunge

KJC

Your other thread you made has a link to the MS Article on how to uninstall SP2 from the Recovery Console. I'd try that.

phatnadz said:

It seems to me the SP2 pop up blocker works even better then the Google toolbar blocker! drudgereport.com would always get pop-ups through but now with SP2 I get none.

phatnadz said:

Sounds like you might need to run AdAware 6.0 and look for any spyware or other crap running on your system. If you're getting popups still with SP2 that frequently, chances are there's something else behind it.
;)

When I do my reinstall, I am adding the command to disable security center. Its not telling me anything I dont already know or know how to do. DEP will probably go off too because of Divx.

Axdrenalin said:
Sounds like you might need to run AdAware 6.0 and look for any spyware or other crap running on your system. If you're getting popups still with SP2 that frequently, chances are there's something else behind it.
;)

Yea, thats your problem. Spyware does make pop ups pop up when your not even in internet explorer. My pop up blocker works flawlessly.

Axdrenalin said:
;)

Nope, scanned with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, I've been spyware clean for a long time.

phatnadz said:

Make sure it's turned on in both privacy and security zone settings.

I use Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition and it gives problems so I just turned off Windows Security like there is such a thing and its fine.

updated to SP2 the other day, Symantec Corporate 8 and 9 needs a patch they are working on for later. Windows asked me if i would manage my own anti-virus, which I did and everything is ok. helps to add games and programs you use alot to the unblock list for the firewall, but no probelms overall yet.

Well I did a fresh install since I put in new video and soundcard too and I love it for the most part.

I used the EzArmor ezAV and ezFirewall and they work flawlessly with SP2 outa the box.

I've seen no popups and generally the internet seems faster, and thus far I haven't had any problems with p2p and the supposed tcp/ip connection limit, but we'll see I guess.

One odd thing has happened today though, neither of my optical drives seems to be detected, I can uninstall and it reinstalls the correct drivers, but discs won't autorun and explorer swears theres no disc in the drive...I'm looking into it now...

edit:
this did happen after I loaded daemon tools 3.46 so I'm working to see if that was related...

edit2:
Also I'm using the latest xvid build to decode all mpeg4 4CC's isntead of messing with divx at the moment.

ma><1mu$ said:

KJC

For me, when I installed the last Beta SP2. Before the update page would work I had to load up the services page and reset a couple of items to run automatically. Then all was fine. My problems with SP2 that some programs would not complete thier install (Far Cry patch,Doom3 ) untill I removed SP2 from my system. I have downloaded the the final SP2, but have yet to install it. Anyone else have this problem? I think maybe it was caused by the new SP2 firewall.

phatnadz said:
Nope, scanned with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, I've been spyware clean for a long time.

Have you updated your spyware removal programs too? Ad-Aware SE just came out so get that if you haven't yet. It is a lot better than Ad-Aware 6. Also, I've found that Norton does not find certain Ad-downloading Trojan viruses, so I would go to housecall.trendmicro.com and do a (free) virus scan there just to be safe.

malingjc said:
Have you updated your spyware removal programs too? Ad-Aware SE just came out so get that if you haven't yet. It is a lot better than Ad-Aware 6.

Yeah, we've found out that AdAware SE is much better here than 6.0 was. Ran 6.0 and found 8-9 objects, then turned around and installed SE and found 83 more without even touching the internet. Amazing what a difference it made... :eek:

Ok, well I installed my slipstreamed XP SP2 and all seems to have gone well. My NOD32 license expired though and I can't renew until next month, so the security center complains of my lack of av. I did discover that IE would neutralize exe files I downloaded if I did not use the option to download by right-clicking on the toolbar that tells you it prevented a download. This happened with firefox and thunderbird. Odd, but pretty nifty as a security feature.

I made my ghost image of my base install, so if I screw anything up, I can go back now.
I freed up a bunch of hdd space as well, 80 gigs for XP and games now. Just have to organize my backups.

I'm going to unsticky this one.
We might put together an SP2 thread later.

Lunas said:
i have gunbound running on my pc do you by chance have a diffrent firewall i had tiny personal and that caused it to lock up and give memory errors
There appears to be a problem with gunbound and the a64 with sp2... Ive seen some info on it on the net.... bummer

StANTo said:
Hey, I installed the 'final' version today... something interesting for you to ponder over... I'm stumped... This is my experience with it:

Downloaded it.
Installed it.
Rebooted machine.
Watched system boot past the BIOS to a black screen.
Watched USB peripherals power down.
No HDD activity.
Rebooted machine into safe mode.
Uninstalled SP2.
Rebooted into Windows XP fully.

So today, I installed SP2.

Rebooted the system, it booted to a black screen. Was like that for a good 12minutes.

So I rebooted, went into my BIOS. Disabled my onboard LAN.

Rebooted.

The system booted straight into windows. Wanted me to reactivate it.

Rebooted, enabled onboard LAN.

Booted straight into windows, activated. Sorted.

Back