Windows XP Performance - Less than 128mb RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
OK so the deal is that I have a P3 600 with 128mb RAM, but it has an intel integrated videocard.

I used to have the system set to 64mb of video memory, leaving 64 for system use. The system was slow as hell.

Recently, I set it to 32mb of video ram, leaving 96mb of system memory. Now logically this should be faster, right? In fact, to me the system seems considerably faster (but still slow).

My dad (primary user of that sh!tbox) has been complaining that the computer is slow all of a sudden. Is that just him, or would decreasing the video memory and INCREASING system memory acutally DECREASE overall system performance for email, or running tax software??

XP + 128MB of RAM = a nightmare, no matter which way you dice it.

Set the video adapter to use 8MB, and make sure you turn off all eye candy under System Properties > Advanced >Performace.

It wouldn't decrease performance, but it is so far below what is considered minimum acceptable memory, it really doesn't matter. That system would be paging quite a bit, even before any apps were running.

You could easily find some memory for the computer, I'd think, assuming it has some open memory slots. 256 MB should be BARE minimum for that kind of computer running XP.

It's $30 for 256 megs of SDRAM. It will make a huge difference. I had two Dell XP boxes that I was rehabbing for coworkers recently. I did my usual spyware, virii removal, defrag routine and the still ran like hell. I never thought to look in the system properties. I was shocked to see that Dell had shipped these pieces of junk with XP Home and only 128 megs of RAM. Just adding another 128 was enough to actually make them useful machines. Go ahead, splurge...

microsoft specs actually support 64mb ram but recommend at 128mb or higher with XP...They obviously dont use this setup (64mb and 128mb) on there own machines everyday..lololol

i think that 256 isn't even enough...

i used xp on a dell 600mhz pIII with 64mb and wanted to throw the computer out the window.. it ran a lot better when i got it up to 196mb.. drop the video down to 8mb though.. that should help..

scottatwittenberg said:
i think that 256 isn't even enough...

i used xp on a dell 600mhz pIII with 64mb and wanted to throw the computer out the window.. it ran a lot better when i got it up to 196mb.. drop the video down to 8mb though.. that should help..

XP performance is all about the RAM. I have an old K63-450 running XP as a test bed. It's got 768MB of RAM and runs pretty damned well.

If you're doing anything other than basic office work such as email and word processing 256 isn't enough IMO either. The sweet spot is 512. The minimum system requirements for XP are a joke. XP will install on a computer that slow, but it isn't usable from a pracitcal standpoint.

in terms of acutally setting up windows, I turned off the visuals n stuff a long time ago. My main problem has been FINDING a 256mb stick of PC133 RAM. I've been shopping around for months now =S

I was thinking of getting 2x256sticks to have the machine at 512 (mobo's limit) but since it's been so hard to find, I'm thinking of just popping in ONE 256mb stick and getting 384mb.

noobman said:
in terms of acutally setting up windows, I turned off the visuals n stuff a long time ago. My main problem has been FINDING a 256mb stick of PC133 RAM. I've been shopping around for months now =S

I was thinking of getting 2x256sticks to have the machine at 512 (mobo's limit) but since it's been so hard to find, I'm thinking of just popping in ONE 256mb stick and getting 384mb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property

I want a cookie!

crucial.com have a memory finder as well. Tell it your mobo and it will tell you which sticks will work.

Remember that when looking for 512mb PC133, you are going to need a low density module. A lot of the 256mb modules where high density. I had several old machines that maxed out at 768. These all took the low density version.

I live in Canada, and I'd really rather not order something off the internet =P

I found this lying around my house... can anyone tell me if this is a stick of SDRAM? If it is, I'll pop it into the machine and see how much memory there is on there.

Tell me you didn't just scan that memory module... :rolleyes:

Memory sticks are pretty fragile, and shouldn't be out of a static bag unless they are in a computer.

BTW: Canadians are allowed to shop online as well.

I only took it out for a second =P

Anyways, I really don't like shopping online. It's just a thing.... the only thing I bought online was HL2.

edit: Plus, I found a store nearby that's got some sticks. $30CDN plus tax.

getting 512mb will cost me about $70 Canadian.

djnes said:

Memory sticks are pretty fragile, and shouldn't be out of a static bag unless they are in a computer.

Eh, I had a few sticks on my desk for a few weeks with no ill effects. In my experience, PC parts are a lot more resilient than people think they are.

noobman said:
I only took it out for a second =P

Anyways, I really don't like shopping online. It's just a thing.... the only thing I bought online was HL2.

edit: Plus, I found a store nearby that's got some sticks. $30CDN plus tax.

getting 512mb will cost me about $70 Canadian.

You can't just grab a 512 stick though...post the strings of numbers on the stick and google each one. The results should tell you.

What kinda machine?

noobman said:
I live in Canada, and I'd really rather not order something off the internet =P

I found this lying around my house... can anyone tell me if this is a stick of SDRAM? If it is, I'll pop it into the machine and see how much memory there is on there.

Yes it is SDRAM. The Goldstar GM72V16821 on it are 2M X 8 chips so I'm guessing not worth bothering with.

I have a freind with an OLD Toshiba notebook, 32MB ram. I took his XP home, slipstreamed it to SP2+ using nlite, and stripped eventhing he didnt need out of it, it works fine..... certainly better than the ME that it came with originally.

i would recomend you make certain the RAM you are going to buy will work in your system. if nothing else...use the Memory finder to get specs for compatible RAM at Crucials site. they usually show you the max RAM, and module sizes in addition to High or Low density.

I have an older HP w/667 Celeron Intel i810 integrated graphics/sound mATX, and it will not accept 2 256m Crucial PC133, but takes the 2 256m Samsung PC133 modules. it is a low vs High density with the Crucial being single sided (high) and the Samsung Double sided (low)

having 512 vs 256 makes a HUGE difference too.

Had an old system, I robbed the RAM one night to give to my parents PC, then tried to boot the freggin thing with 128MB, I think I was waiting over 5 minutes for it, and it gave me about four crashes trying to load everything I usually had at startup. Only usable in safe mode ... hehe

When I built a comp for my folks to check email on I found that where winxp starts to smooth out is about 384mb ram.

djnes said:

Huh? I had a stick of PC133 laying in the ash tray of my car for over a year with my loose change. Guess what, it still works.

Met-AL said:
Huh? I had a stick of PC133 laying in the ash tray of my car for over a year with my loose change. Guess what, it still works.
Just because you got lucky with one stick, doesn't mean RAM is suddenly durable. I've had sticks laying out that worked as well. The key is to avoid purposely doing anything that exposes the chip to anything that can damage it. Instead of the "huh?" reply, talk to an electrical engineer and you'll see what I mean.

djnes said:
Just because you got lucky with one stick, doesn't mean RAM is suddenly durable. I've had sticks laying out that worked as well. The key is to avoid purposely doing anything that exposes the chip to anything that can damage it. Instead of the "huh?" reply, talk to an electrical engineer and you'll see what I mean.

Oh no, that was just one example. I treat all my worthless obsolete stuff like crap. I have a drawer full of crap like PC133 sticks, NIC's, CPU's and stuff. It all works when I need it, so I do not see the need to be "SUPER djnes" careful with the stuff.

Come on now... you implied to the guy that he was likely to ruin his RAM by scanning it. :rolleyes:

Met-AL said:
Come on now... you implied to the guy that he was likely to ruin his RAM by scanning it. :rolleyes:
Actually, I can think of three examples where I've seen people scan memory and render it useless....three separate people, three separate times. Back in the day before digital cameras were common, this is how people would ask me what type of memory they had. Do you always roll your eyes when someone makes a logical comment based on personal experience?

a friend of mine got one of those linspire GQ computers off frys and I installed xp and it works like a charm. because of the shared memory of it runs with 120 megs memory. takes a while to load (30 seconds) but even after a couple of days with the machine running while doing basic computer stuff (internet, email, kids homework), it runs fine. I told him memory is very cheap and I would install it for him but hes happy with it. :/

djnes said:
I've had several sticks of SDRAM sitting on my shelves for years. They are routinely handled without antistatic precautions (read: my bare fingers) and often have the odd (but light-weight) item tossed onto them. They always work when I test them.

Of course, I live in a high-humidity climate. Those living in dry areas have a bit more to fear from static electricity.

I don't know the ESD rating on the average DRAM chip these days, but I have some RS-422 chips that can easily tolerate 15,000 volt sparks that would knock you to your knees.

djnes said:
Actually, I can think of three examples where I've seen people scan memory and render it useless....three separate people, three separate times. Back in the day before digital cameras were common, this is how people would ask me what type of memory they had. Do you always roll your eyes when someone makes a logical comment based on personal experience?

No, I only do that when I think they are full of it, which in this case in particular, I think you are.

djnes said:
Actually, I can think of three examples where I've seen people scan memory and render it useless....three separate people, three separate times.

Now not to cry bullsh*t here, but...... Bullsh*t!! How is the light from a scanner supposed to harm a stick of ram? How? I've got a pile of old sdram sitting on my desk, I swap out all the time into shop pc's for testing, as well as a bunch of ECC sticks I swap out into my test servers all the time. Other than the risk of physical damage from dropping one, what could happen to it? Nothing. A static spark could potetially cause damage, but light? No way.

twwabw said:
A static spark could potetially cause damage, but light? No way.
They were scanning them with the new gamma-ray scanners, obviously.

:cool:

You guys are missing the point he was making and acting like ignorant assholes. Everyone in the computer field knows how to handle sensitive electronics. We all know what you "SHOULD" do and what you shouldn't to minimize the risk of ruining parts. He was giving some advice, albeit a little sarcastically (but that's djnes, and why he's so lovable :p), and he's right.

I was talking to another tech at work last Friday about how amazing it is when you think of how you handle old hardware vs how you handle new hardware. I'm guilty of throwing RAM in a box together without anti-static bags, or throwing NICs in boxes together. But at least I'm willing to admit that handling the stuff like that increases the risk that it will break.

djnes said:
Just to add to this discussion, RAM chips are not at all fragile. We have boxes of the things in our server rooms. They sit on desks for weeks or months, get tossed around like paper. They always work.

S1nF1xx said:
You guys are missing the point he was making and acting like ignorant assholes. Everyone in the computer field knows how to handle sensitive electronics.
You're right...everyone in the computer field would know this....except the few who decided to argue against common knowledge and practice. Why do I always find the ones who want to argue against logic?

djnes said:
Why do I always find the ones who want to argue against logic?

That must be your super power. You're like Magneto, only with n00bs instead of metal. :p

S1nF1xx said:
That must be your super power. You're like Magneto, only with n00bs instead of metal. :p
That might be my custom title soon then....NoobMagneto.

djnes said:
Why do I always find the ones who want to argue against logic?
When you start using logic, we'll let you know. In the meantime, "common knowledge" is that ESD *can* damage CMOS circuitry, but its not the common occurrence it was with the chips of 10-20 years ago.

The simple truth of the matter is that cheap memory sticks are not worth the extra time spent to strictly follow ESD guidelines. The amount of time lost in so doing will cost you FAR more than the expectation value of any damage done. Those of you earning less than 30 cents an hour may want to be more careful, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back