Windows XP on SSD

jbltecnicspro

[H]F Junkie
Someone gave me an old laptop that has an XP license on it. I have a spare SSD (old Crucial M4). Am thinking of taking the old hard drive out and replacing it with the SSD. Anything special I need to do to make sure XP plays nice with the SSD? It’s been a long long time since I’ve messed with XP, and I don’t remember anything about it other than “SSD + XP = bad.” Thanks!

Shouldn't be. As long as the board and SATA controllers have drivers Windows XP will just see it as another HDD.

I don't think XP natively supports TRIM, which is why the “SSD + XP = bad” statement exists. You might have to find an alternate way to perform the TRIM function.
Modern SSDs perform automatic garbage collection so it's not a big deal. The XP is going to see so little use anyway that it's useless to worry about it. There are a lot of myths and false beliefs originating from the very first SSDs which were problematic. Those technical issues have been ironed away years ago.

Someone gave me an old laptop that has an XP license on it. I have a spare SSD (old Crucial M4). Am thinking of taking the old hard drive out and replacing it with the SSD. Anything special I need to do to make sure XP plays nice with the SSD? It’s been a long long time since I’ve messed with XP, and I don’t remember anything about it other than “SSD + XP = bad.” Thanks!
You need to format the SSD to 4k partition allignment.

Back