Windows XP on SSD

jbltecnicspro

Supreme [H]ardness
Someone gave me an old laptop that has an XP license on it. I have a spare SSD (old Crucial M4). Am thinking of taking the old hard drive out and replacing it with the SSD. Anything special I need to do to make sure XP plays nice with the SSD? It’s been a long long time since I’ve messed with XP, and I don’t remember anything about it other than “SSD + XP = bad.” Thanks!

FlawleZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Shouldn't be. As long as the board and SATA controllers have drivers Windows XP will just see it as another HDD.

B00nie

[H]F Junkie
I don't think XP natively supports TRIM, which is why the “SSD + XP = bad” statement exists. You might have to find an alternate way to perform the TRIM function.
Modern SSDs perform automatic garbage collection so it's not a big deal. The XP is going to see so little use anyway that it's useless to worry about it. There are a lot of myths and false beliefs originating from the very first SSDs which were problematic. Those technical issues have been ironed away years ago.

ZodaEX

2[H]4U
Someone gave me an old laptop that has an XP license on it. I have a spare SSD (old Crucial M4). Am thinking of taking the old hard drive out and replacing it with the SSD. Anything special I need to do to make sure XP plays nice with the SSD? It’s been a long long time since I’ve messed with XP, and I don’t remember anything about it other than “SSD + XP = bad.” Thanks!
You need to format the SSD to 4k partition allignment.