Windows XP 100 Percent Processor Usage (Fresh Install !!)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mercenarie, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

i just installed windows xp and i have 12 processes running with 100 percent usage... wtf is going on? how can i resolve this

2. Axdrenalin

Axdrenalin [H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2009

You don't have Windows Defender installed do you? If so, That would be the first that I would remove. I've seen it take over the CPU before...:rolleyes:

Ax

3. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

no man its a fresh install meaning theirs no programs on their besides the drivers etc

4. digital_exhaust

digital_exhaust [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008

I'm confused. Do you have a total of 12 processes running, and one of them is using 100% of the cpu, or are there 12 processes that show 100% usage, or do the 12 total 100% combined?

And, have you been online with this machine yet?

5. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

theirs 12 processes and theirs like 2 or 3 that takes alot from the cpu. explorer.exe & svchost.exe,apache.exe, no i havnt been online

6. digital_exhaust

Is this machine a server? If not, stop apache, and see if that helps.

7. Eiolon

Eiolon Gawd

I am confused. How are you running Apache on a clean install of XP? That's the first thing I'd be investigating.

8. Gatticus

Gatticus [H]ard|Gawd

apache.exe? That's not an XP file. That is http apache server. You installed that?

9. digital_exhaust

I was wondering that myself......but, you know.....

So, I'm assuming this is a legit Windows install.......right??

10. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

i removed apache but it dosnt resolve it. system idle proc is taking 70 percent and taskmgr is taking 20 explorer is taking 5

11. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

lol yes... its legit i bought it

12. digital_exhaust

13. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

yes but it dosnt work

14. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Install it again, this time disconnect all network cables, etc from the machine. Just have the bare machine with the keyboard and mouse attached to it, and no other hardware at all, period.

Give that a shot and report back.

15. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

install windows xp again? last night i installed it at 11 and ended at 3 am

16. oneils

oneils Limp Gawd

what are the specs of your machine?

17. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

AMD 64 4000
    512MB RAM
    160GB HD
    XFX 7900GS
    ASUS A8N SLI

18. LaTech

LaTech 2[H]4U

Is this a fresh build? Do you have any older HDD with data on them already? Would COMPLETELY format the drive and start all over. And there is NO way that installing windows on that machine should take 4 hours. 20-30 min...tops.

19. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

QFT.

Looking back now, the only reason such a thing might happen realistically - the extremely long install time and the constant CPU hammering - would lead me to suspect your hard drive and possibly the CD drive too are either stuck or operating in PIO mode and not DMA. PIO mode would slow the entire data transfer chain down to around 16MB/s tops, which would most definitely require a shitload of time to install XP.

Worth checking out I'd say...

20. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

i have tried the cd drive and hd in my other computer and they work fine

21. chrisf6969

chrisf6969 [H]ardForum Junkie

system idle always takes up whatever percent is leftover.

Explorer = 30%
    Idle = 100 - 30 = 70%

If nothing is running, System Idle Process should be around 95-99%

What does CPU Usage say at the bottom of the Processes tab?
    or click Performance tab and whats the CPU usage say there?

22. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

My first impression based on the way the topic was written was "Ok, here's another person that thinks the System Idle Process is using up all his CPU time," but I let my assumptions go because we all know what happens when we ass-u-me things, right? :)

I'd still suspect PIO mode but there's no way to know for sure till he checks on it, if he even knows how.

Doesn't matter if the CD drive and hard drive work in another machine, the point is they might not be working properly in the machine you're having issues with.

I recently got a brand new 80GB 7200 rpm drive and when I plugged it into an old Asus A7V mobo it simply will not function in DMA mode using the shitty VIA hard drive controller. But if I plug it into the onboard Promise Ultra100 controller, wham, UltraDMA Mode 5 just like it should be.

So... it could be PIO mode and the IDE controllers just being flaky... unless of course you tell us it's an SATA drive, then that would open an entirely new can of worms. :D

23. oneils

oneils Limp Gawd

Lol, never thought of that. One thing he has to figure out if its 100% usage, or 100% idle.

24. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

100% usage. at the moment im re installing windows xp with just a keyboard and mouse. and hey btw how can i find out if my hardrive is the problem? what should i do

25. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Once you get it installed, fire up Device Manager, go into the IDE Controller properties, choose the Primary one (here I'm making the assumption - damn them! - that you're using IDE drives since you still haven't said yes or no) and check the Advanced tab. If it doesn't say DMA mode and what DMA mode is enabled for the hard drive. Should look something like this:

[​IMG]

Check the Secondary channel for the CD/DVD drive also; it should basically say the same thing. If however either of them say PIO Mode anywhere then you've got a problem someplace.

PIO (Programmed Input/Output) mode was the oldest IDE transfer standard, and tops out at 16MB/s and also requires a LOT of CPU power/time to do data transfers, hence my belief that could be what's causing the high CPU usage. DMA (Direct Memory Access) lets the hard drive controllers transfer data directly into RAM with minimal CPU intervention.

26. oneils

oneils Limp Gawd

Great work bbz_Ghost, I'll have to remember this if I ever encounter similar problems.

27. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Note that if he says he's using an SATA drive (entirely possible) all this is meaningless. :D

28. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

29. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

AHA!!! At least I was right in that assumption... now to see how it pans out :)

30. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

i would get a drive utility and do a low level format, Write 0's to the drive then try a reinstall

31. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost 2[H]4U

Well, since he's currently doing a reinstall anyway at this moment, and low level formatting won't "fix" DMA issues if that's what the problem really does turn out to be.

Real low level formatting is hard to do anymore; typical formatting tools are actually high level since true low level is only supposed to be done once in the lifetime of a hard drive. It can be a destructive and damaging thing to a hard drive, so it's done basically when the drive is created and very rarely if ever needs to be done again.

32. pigster

pigster [H]ard|Gawd

33. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

well its on DMA mode so what now

34. pigster

pigster [H]ard|Gawd

35. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

i cant do that im on my laptop and not on the desktop with the problem. like i said its too slow to even browse the internet on there

36. BBowermaster

BBowermaster Gawd

What version of XP? (Plain, SP1a, SP2, etc). If its not SP2, pre-download SP2 and install SP2 before you connect a network cable. Otherwise, you're a sitting duck wearing a bright orange traffic controller vest.

37. Mercenarie

Mercenarie n00b

38. Mwarhead

Mwarhead Gawd

When you install the Nvidia Nforce Drivers click no to install Nvidia Forceware Access Firewall thingy. That is what is generating the apache.exe

39. mket

mket Limp Gawd

is this a new machine and first time install or has it worked ok before?

40. pigster

pigster [H]ard|Gawd

Well, how about you download it on your laptop then copy it over to the desktop and run it?