sickwookie
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 2, 2005
- Messages
- 151
I have replaced my motherboard processor and have run problems booting windows.
The setup:
e5200
Gigabyte ep43-ud3l
2GB Kingston DDR2 800
Gigabyte 9600GT
WD 80GB IDE - Windows XP Home SP2 installed
WD 250GB SATA - Ubuntu installed
When I first installed everything I could not boot windows or ubuntu. Ubuntu would not find the correct uuid for the boot partition and drop to a shell. I fixed this by enabling SATA AHCI Mode, and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode. This slows the boot a bit, but it works so I won't complain.
I have not been able to solve the problem with windows though. When I try to boot from that drive I get to the Windows logo which is quickly followed by a blue screen and a reboot. The blue screen is too quick for me to get any info from it. I tried to boot from my windows cd to use the recovery console, but I get a stop code which refers to a problem with pci.sys. After some research I found that this is due to the fact that my windows xp cd is too old and it does not have a driver for a pcie 2.0 graphics.
I have since tried to slipstream SP2 and create a new windows boot cd, but I have had no luck with this yet. At this point I would be happy to just reinstall windows, but I don't even seem to have that as an option. So, before I waste anymore time trying to reinstall windows are there any other motherboard peculiarities I should look into?
TLDR:
- Can boot Ubuntu
- Can't boot Windows
- Not familiar with ICH10 chipset IDE/SATA peculiarities
- Complicated by old windows cd lacking appropriate drivers
- HELP?!?
The setup:
e5200
Gigabyte ep43-ud3l
2GB Kingston DDR2 800
Gigabyte 9600GT
WD 80GB IDE - Windows XP Home SP2 installed
WD 250GB SATA - Ubuntu installed
When I first installed everything I could not boot windows or ubuntu. Ubuntu would not find the correct uuid for the boot partition and drop to a shell. I fixed this by enabling SATA AHCI Mode, and SATA Port0-3 Native Mode. This slows the boot a bit, but it works so I won't complain.
I have not been able to solve the problem with windows though. When I try to boot from that drive I get to the Windows logo which is quickly followed by a blue screen and a reboot. The blue screen is too quick for me to get any info from it. I tried to boot from my windows cd to use the recovery console, but I get a stop code which refers to a problem with pci.sys. After some research I found that this is due to the fact that my windows xp cd is too old and it does not have a driver for a pcie 2.0 graphics.
I have since tried to slipstream SP2 and create a new windows boot cd, but I have had no luck with this yet. At this point I would be happy to just reinstall windows, but I don't even seem to have that as an option. So, before I waste anymore time trying to reinstall windows are there any other motherboard peculiarities I should look into?
TLDR:
- Can boot Ubuntu
- Can't boot Windows
- Not familiar with ICH10 chipset IDE/SATA peculiarities
- Complicated by old windows cd lacking appropriate drivers
- HELP?!?