Windows will not start after installing nVidia 15.17 drivers

SMP

Limp Gawd
SOLVED! THANK YOU!

I am running a q6600 on an EVGA 122-CK-NF68 mobo with OCZ SLI pc2 8500 ram running WINDOWS XP PRO 32-BIT. Powered by an Antec SLI True Power Trio.

Everything was fine until I installed the 15.17 nvidia nforce drivers. I rebooted and saw the Windows splash screen, but then windows would not start.

When I use F8 to get into safe mode, or enable vga or disable automatic restart upon system failure, my keyboard and mouse do not respond; I can not get into windows to restore the system.

I have access to the drive by using it as a secondary drive. If I knew which driver was causing the problem, I could delete it or replace it. That is, if it is a driver. This is the readme from the 15.17 package

This WinXP 32-bit nForce UDA driver package for CK804, MCP51, MCP55, MCP61, MCP65, MCP67M, MCP68, MCP73 consists of the following components:

Ethernet Driver (v67.80) WHQL
Network Management Tools (v67.81) "Sedona"
SATAIDE Driver (v10.3.0.21) WHQL
SATARAID Driver (v10.3.0.21) WHQL
RAIDTOOL Application (v10.3.0.21)
SMU Driver (v1.45) WHQL
SMBus Driver (v4.64) WHQL
Installer (v5.99)

I can not start windows and my keyboard and mouse do not function when in safe mode. How can I remove the items installed by the 15.17 package?

It may have updated your SATA drivers, in which case you may not get back in without a reinstall of Windows. Did you try Last Known Good Configuration from the boot menu?

usb keyboard/mouse, try a ps/2 mouse/keyboard...

usb keyboard/mouse, try a ps/2 mouse/keyboard...

tried that, no worky

So if I just copy windows over the old one I will lose all the registry entries, correct?

you should INSTALL windows over the old one or tell VISTA to repair the installation. you will have to reapply all updates though

you should INSTALL windows over the old one or tell VISTA to repair the installation. you will have to reapply all updates though

I know I wont lose any data, but will I lose program registries and have to reinstall programs to use them?

if you reinstall windows over it;s self it will import the registry settings and your programs will still work

Back