Windows Vista WGA failures today?

Ditto - found same MS forum. My MSDN-acquired Vsita Ultimate is now failing WGA.

Must be happening to a lot of people. I can't even get that forum thread to load!

Hasn't locked down any of my systems, but I've temporarily disabled automatic updating as a precaution anyway. I'll enable it again after I've had a chance to check this out more thoroughly.

Preliminary info I've gathered shows it MAY be related to the auto-updates from yesterday.

yep, happened to me also, I can still use my system though, its activated but says its not genuine.

Same, my system became non genuine (and it most definitely is, bought it at best buy).

I called micro$oft, and they acknowledged that it is a problem and should be fixed by saturday morning hopefully. It's truly disgusting how the customer is 100% accountable for violating their licensing agreements, and those very licensing agreements absolve them from problems that are clearly their fault.

We're guilty until proven innocent, and they're innocent until proven guilty... Not everyone who has a PC is a criminal ;/

This shit is getting so old. I love Vista but jesus. It wasn't long ago I came hom and my OS was mysteriously no longer activated. Another example of DRM fucking the people who actually buy their products.

wheh. you guys scared me.. Im still activated :D, what versions of vista do you guys have?
I have vista ultimate 64bit full retail version :)*its not pirated I can take pix of box for proof* *but i did ran ultimate pirate for a bit of time :eek:* good luck to you all.

wheh. you guys scared me.. Im still activated :D, what versions of vista do you guys have?
I have vista ultimate 64bit full retail version :)*its not pirated I can take pix of box for proof* *but i did ran ultimate pirate for a bit of time :eek:* good luck to you all.

I think one of the vista updates in the past day or two is to blame.

It's not "one of the updates" but any update requiring windows genuine advantage validation. Any time you try to get "premium" or WGA-exclusive updates, it checks to make sure you're not using a pirated version. Apparently, something on their side is messed up and randomly unvalidating certain vista's.

So whats happening is people who had updates downloaded during the past day or so had their system check WGA and consequently unvalidate them. However, if the updates didn't require WGA validation, it didn't cause the system to unvalidate.

This REALLY sucks because it kills aero, and consequently any time bioshock launched, it complained about windows being non genuine and consequently prevented bioshock from running.

Luckily I had an image backed up from yesterday, so I used the backup image and windows is mysteriously genuine again. lol. What caused my system to unvalidate itself was I downloaded DirectX and that requires WGA validation.. so kaboom.

other people on ms forum tried restoring from a previous date with no luck, I also revalidated my copy via phone with ms, after about 5 seconds my copy was not genuine again. /shrug

when i say restored from an image, i mean an *image*, not simply a restore point. I used acronis true image home 10 to restore to a day earlier.

I reckon this is also happening to a lot of corporate users. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to be the IT admin who has 1000 workstations locked out. But hey, it probably increases productivity. People will have to quit playing solitaire and start doing work. If it was all that simple.

A mission cricial locked box can cost anywhere from $10 000 to $600 000 a day.

I love it when the protection methods blow up in their faces, especially when they're a complete hassle for the customer. Cracks me up. Its the only time you can get an executive to shrill up is when you tell him you're better off pirating it than buying it, because you make it so much more difficult for legit customers. I consider this a victory for anybody anti WGA for the RIGHT reason, not the lamers who would actually pirate it. I bought my copy, fucking 400 dollars. I better never see that message.

and consequently any time bioshock launched, it complained about windows being non genuine and consequently prevented bioshock from running.
Are you saying Bioshock checks to see if your windows is genuine?

WOW....what next.

I love it when the protection methods blow up in their faces, especially when they're a complete hassle for the customer. Cracks me up. Its the only time you can get an executive to shrill up is when you tell him you're better off pirating it than buying it, because you make it so much more difficult for legit customers. I consider this a victory for anybody anti WGA for the RIGHT reason, not the lamers who would actually pirate it. I bought my copy, fucking 400 dollars. I better never see that message.

Don't act like WGA is big bad Microsoft's fault. We were given a chance with fair use, and we blew it. Stop complaining that Microsoft is protecting their products - they gave us every chance in the world to be honest, and yet people pirated Windows 98/2000 like it was a God-given birthright (seriously, there's probably more illegal copies of 9x/2k out there than there are legit ones). Microsoft's customers brought this on themselves.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows Vista Business on my laptop with full automatic updates etc, and I've had zero WGA problem today or ever. I personally think that these issues are localized to people trying to do crazy stuff like buy an OEM license and transition it through 3 motherboards, 8 video cards, and a dozen dud-overclocking CPUs (clearly a violation of the EULA). :rolleyes:

Don't act like WGA is big bad Microsoft's fault. We were given a chance with fair use, and we blew it. Stop complaining that Microsoft is protecting their products - they gave us every chance in the world to be honest, and yet people pirated Windows 98/2000 like it was a God-given birthright (seriously, there's probably more illegal copies of 9x/2k out there than there are legit ones). Microsoft's customers brought this on themselves.

You've been drinking the funny kool-aid if you believe that crap. All WGA does is HURT PAYING CUSTOMERS. It does nothing to curb piracy. That goes for ANY form of DRM. Pirates always find a way. There are working Vista cracks now.

Just for the record, I'm running Windows Vista Business on my laptop with full automatic updates etc, and I've had zero WGA problem today or ever. I personally think that these issues are localized to people trying to do crazy stuff like buy an OEM license and transition it through 3 motherboards, 8 video cards, and a dozen dud-overclocking CPUs (clearly a violation of the EULA). :rolleyes:

I wasn't Microsofts customers that brought this on, it was the lame ass pirates that brought it on! costumers are the ones that actually buy things, its the lame ass thieves that dont!
And just because you didn't have problems doesn't mean that other legit costumers are not having problems, the world doesn't revolve around your asshole!

Yeah I had this problem last night, pissed me the fuck off. I simply called up these people and got a new CD-Key :). Sure, I had to type in two commands (one to uninstall my CD-Key, second to check it), then I just revalidated it. I'm also sure this was on their end, since so many people are experiencing it and how random it is. Yes people make mistakes, but fuck that, they can afford to have back-up servers for this. MS has enough money and resources that it could be done easily imo.

I wasn't Microsofts customers that brought this on, it was the lame ass pirates that brought it on! costumers are the ones that actually buy things, its the lame ass thieves that dont!

There must be a lot of pirates than if it was bad enough to warrant WGA. Sure the pirates brought it on, such a majority of Microsoft's "Customer Base" were illegals that they were forced to do this. Honest consumers like us make up a pretty small percent of the world. ;)

And just because you didn't have problems doesn't mean that other legit costumers are not having problems, the world doesn't revolve around your asshole!

Thanks for the nice comments. ;) If you want to get into who the world revolves around, then how about we talk about the millions of owners who don't have problems with WGA compared to the hundreds that do? This situation sounds big because so many people report it, but you have to remember that for every enthusiast who does have a WGA problem with their illegal OEM license they bought from Newegg, a thousand Dell or HP customers don't have that problem.

You've been drinking the funny kool-aid if you believe that crap. All WGA does is HURT PAYING CUSTOMERS. It does nothing to curb piracy. That goes for ANY form of DRM. Pirates always find a way. There are working Vista cracks now.

You played around with any Vista cracks? They are flimsy, at best. You can bypass the initial activation, and from then on out you have to go underground. Not really useful. Vista is a lot harder to pirate than you think. Sure, you can install and run a non-legit copy for a few weeks, but if you last longer than that, you're really good at dodging the bullet. And for the track record, the only paying customers WGA and Product Activation hurts are the ones I mentioned who try to violate the terms of OEM licenses. The situation going on now isn't WGA's fault for false-positiving people- it's a service outage that is being resolved very quickly.

Of course, the WGA Diagnostic page says "Passed: ActiveX controls connect with Microsoft validation servers".

You played around with any Vista cracks? They are flimsy, at best. You can bypass the initial activation, and from then on out you have to go underground. Not really useful. Vista is a lot harder to pirate than you think. Sure, you can install and run a non-legit copy for a few weeks, but if you last longer than that, you're really good at dodging the bullet. And for the track record, the only paying customers WGA and Product Activation hurts are the ones I mentioned who try to violate the terms of OEM licenses. The situation going on now isn't WGA's fault for false-positiving people- it's a service outage that is being resolved very quickly.

your kidding right, because I know people who have been using the very first vista cracks who haven't gone into to the underground. They use it as they normally would, update and what not. I why you believe what you do but, as far as I can see people have the same experience as me as a legit customer.

It's working again for me just now.

messerchmidt said:
this may raise some eye brows, but did any of you try a vista activator to fix your problem?
What's a Vista activator?

I was just about to install Vista today as time is running out on the 120 day trial of x64 :(

Guess I will have to wait a little bit longer.

Edit: Does anyone think its safe for me to install Vista today? (Yes it is a legit copy) I will have to download the latest patches and reboot so I'm guessing that might be a problem for WGA right now.

Theres ways to use vista for free without even cracking or pirating, rearm anyone? I legitly own the Vista x64 copy thats currently installed(Intel Retail Bundle, if it wasn't for that, I probbly wouldn't legitly own vista, but I degress), but I haven't activated yet, I haven't even done a proper install where I must put in my cd key, why? I change my hardware around way too much, theres something new or changed in my system at LEAST once a month.

you can rearm 3 times, which lets me go for 120 days, and since I change my hardware around so much I reformat probly every 2 months or so, so I never even reach that 120 day limit, because my windows install is keyless and technily a "trial" install, I'm always geniune till the time limit runs out, which I never reach before I reformat all over again :p

I was just about to install Vista today as time is running out on the 120 day trial of x64 :(

Guess I will have to wait a little bit longer.

Edit: Does anyone think its safe for me to install Vista today? (Yes it is a legit copy) I will have to download the latest patches and reboot so I'm guessing that might be a problem for WGA right now.

You'll be fine, just after you install hold off *activating* for a few days, windows ALWAYS defaults to genuine durring the 30/120 Grace period till you try and activate.

I own Vista x64 business, and have changed components a lot (video card, CPU, motherboard, DVD Writer, hard drives) and I have called microsoft more than 3 times to reactivate, they never said anything, juste took my series of numbers, and gave me the code to reactivate, so I don't think it is a problem to activate it. On top of that, I have an OEM version.

Man I hope they fixed this cause I want to get Bioshock and I don't want to have this problem just because I am installing Bioshock, I am about ready to go and get my copy of the game in a few minutes at my local Fry's Electronics. :eek:

T

You played around with any Vista cracks? They are flimsy, at best. You can bypass the initial activation, and from then on out you have to go underground. Not really useful. Vista is a lot harder to pirate than you think. Sure, you can install and run a non-legit copy for a few weeks, but if you last longer than that, you're really good at dodging the bullet.

This is a joke right? I have more then one friend who could care less about piracy and they have been running Vista cracked with not one problem whatsoever for this entire year. They laugh at me for spending the $150 on Vista home premium upgrade +$10 more for Vista 64 DVD that I plunked down a few months ago because they can update just fine. With all the problems I have had with Creative drivers, Nvidia drivers, the 4GB memory fiasco I am the one who feels like the sucker.

I was able to get my copy back to genuine today by having ms install there validation active x thinger.. but aero is still disabled and its not even in the list anymore.. anyone know how to get it back?

thanks

Back