Windows Vista 64bit issues

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, my friend is having issues with his computer and can not boot into Windows 64bit.
He said he is getting this error message 0xc000014d. It asks him to insert his Windows CD, and when he does so and contiunes the computer blue screens. Anyone have any idea what is going on?

0xc000014d

His registry is probably corrupt.

0xC000014D STATUS_REGISTRY_IO_FAILED
An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed and cannot be recovered. The registry could not read in, write out, or flush one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

Yeah, I was thinking it was somthing like that, how would i go about fixing that short of a fresh install?

Okay, I have the bad drive hooked up to my computer and am currently checking it for errors and bad sectors, If i use CCleaner will it let me fix the drive if it is set as a slave on my system?
I am not that good with fixing OS at this current time, I normaly just wipe the HD and start over when I run into issues like this.

With XP, you could log into the recovery console and copy a copy of the registry out of the system restore folder and put that on the user's account.

Here are the instructions for that:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I did it a few times when I was having a failing hard disk.

I was unable to find a similar support document for Vista though.

Back