Windows Snooping Patches KB 2952664, KB 2976978 are Back Again

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Remember those pesky patches for Windows 7 and 8.1 that seemingly do nothing but trigger a scheduled process named "DoScheduledTelemetryRun"? Well, they're back, again. They could just be for innocent user statistics and crash data information to help Microsoft developers, but it is suspicious that they run even when the Customer Experience Improvement Program is disabled.

Besides, since when is Microsoft interested in improving Windows 7 and Windows 8.1? Don't they just want all of us to upgrade to Windows 10?

"Even proponents of installing all Win7 and 8.1 patches balk at those patches, which were born in the crucible of the Get Windows 10 (GWX) marched upgrade madness. The series was renumbered, with no explanation: KB 2852664 was renumbered from revision 25 on Oct. 4, 2016, to revision 12 today."

Sometimes (all the time) I think the goal is to become Android.

"Why is your coffee mug full of scotch?" People ask me.

"Because people spend all their time fighting over stupid ideologies while companies have them bent over a desk." I say.

While I agree with you, if the world were a better place would you stop drinking scotch?!

I swear to god if I get a popup asking to upgrade to win 10 again I may just burn a building located in washington state to the ground.

d47.jpg

hehe.

We have some Jehova's witnesses who come around here on occasion.

As a prank, I've always wanted to invite them in, and ask if they've heard of Odin, and discuss the Norse gods at length, and give them the same kind of conversion pressure as they give others.

I get the impression it could be fun for about 10 minutes, but after that the joke would be on me.

As a prank, I've always wanted to invite them in, and ask if they've heard of Odin, and discuss the Norse gods at length, and give them the same kind of conversion pressure as they give others.

I get the impression it could be fun for about 10 minutes, but after that the joke would be on me.

The only time I give them the time of day is when they bring their brainwashed little spawn around. Then I spend as long as I can get away with before they run away attempting to put as much doubt into their heads as I can.

Come on out Microsoft shills! Time to swallow another load from Redmond and defend this garbage.

Tell me, how much are you paid to derail conversations and poke fun of people with tinfoil hat jokes? With Vault 7 news making the rounds, and confirming everything we all guessed was happening, you shills have your work cut out for you.

Scotch is nectar of the gods.

That's a funny way to spell bourbon.

On topic: I'm not seeing these in my update list, I'm not sure if it's because I blocked the older versions or because I'm still behind on a round of updates. I hate being behind on updates but I also hate trying to figure out if every windows update is malicious or beneficial before installing, I still need to check out WSUS offline for security fixes.

I swear to god if I get a popup asking to upgrade to win 10 again I may just burn a building located in washington state to the ground.
Switch to Linux.

It could work if you really did your research and were really good at acting.

When Microshaft went to the combined secret upgrade take it all or leave it system, I turned updates off on my Win 7. Solved the Winupdate process consuming resources problem as well. Since the majority of Win 7 security updates concerned problems with IE or Flash or required physical access to the machine, was willing to accept the risk. This just reinforces my decision.

This is no surprise really.

Google has been farming the data of people who've used its services for years, and making money like crazy from it.

MS wants in on that and what better way than to put the spying tools right into the OS they have a near monopoly on in the marketplace.

You can opt to use things other than Google products, but for most, you're stuck using MS whether you want to or not, and they know they've got you.

They didn't give Windows 10 away to be nice, they did it to rapidly get the data collection going and distract people from that very thing by waving "FREE" around all the time. Windows 7 was loved, so rather than risk facing an uphill battle trying to sell people something most wouldn't see themselves needing, they handed it out for free and figured to make the money back on the data collection information I'd guess.

In a way, I'm amazed it took MS as long as it did to finally do it.

And of course, people are so blasé about it all, when they really ought to be paying far more attention than they do.

I've used linux on and off since the late 90's. It isn't a viable main OS for me on any level. Switch to linux is honestly a terrible suggestion for most people.
Well enjoy having everything you know collected by the CIA.

Some of us switched in the 90's and not looked back

You know, you don't HAVE to use Visual Studio. :p
I know plenty of software guys who hate visual studio with a passion.
This is [ H ], home of real mensch.
We go from dataflow diagrams straight to assembly, and consider even C programmers to be script kiddies :p

Last edited:
Come on out Microsoft shills! Time to swallow another load from Redmond and defend this garbage.

Oh come now. Any new, modern OS that's developed with agility and 'newness' in mind needs telemetry data to keep all my phones, tablets and PC's up to date with all of my information at all times and at all costs. You're just not seeing the big picture where the Borg assimilates the Earth.

I guess that MS received a nice email from their NSA overlords with a simple instruction, moar spying!!

This is some shit.

We need Linux to really succeed so we can finally be free of crap like this.

Last edited:
MS Dev Manager said this is used for performance troubleshooting when working with MS, plus people on reddit already confirmed that it is not sending data back to MS. See this thread:

They need to declare that explicitly so we can exclude it with a good foundation.
It does not get a free pass regardless.

Back