Windows SMP Client eats WU

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
I am about ready to get rid of the Windows SMP clients as I needed to restart my main box today ( that I use @ work) and both WU's were @ 80% and after restart they were both giving a new WU!!! Almost 24 hours of work down the drain.... I am so mad @ these clients right now!

Did you close the client by hitting CTRL+C ?

I've closed my client on my E4300 a bunch of times with the X button, CTRL+C and rebooting.... I've never lost a WU.

You posted this at the F@H Community Forums too right? I think I saw you post there.

I did not post there, after I posted here, I went there and read that post. Explain this ctrl+C I just hit the X

If you ever have anything running in a DOS prompt (like F@H), you are supposed to stop it by hitting CTRL+C. That will properly close F@H. Clicking the X will abruptly terminate F@H without giving it a chance to save information and close correctly.

how do you do this if it was running as a service? Stop the service?

You're running as a hidden service? Or is it visible in your taskbar? If you can actually see the window, then do a CTRL+C in it. If you have it hidden as a service then I dunno.

Maybe Start>Run "services.msc" and hit STOP on that service. You using the service work around on it? Cuz as of right now Windows SMP doesn't officially run properly as a service.

Nevermind, I just stopped the service. I read the directions and help and it says you shouldn't run Win SMP as a service.

If you ever have anything running in a DOS prompt (like F@H), you are supposed to stop it by hitting CTRL+C. That will properly close F@H. Clicking the X will abruptly terminate F@H without giving it a chance to save information and close correctly.

I've Never, repeat, NEVER hit CTRL-C and I've yet to have a problem with it losing work/messing up/not closing out correctly.

I've Never, repeat, NEVER hit CTRL-C and I've yet to have a problem with it losing work/messing up/not closing out correctly.

With the regular Windows client I never had a problem. With the Windows SMP client I don't know since I ran it as a service and didn't have any trouble with it. Under Linux with the SMP client, I will lose a WU on occasion if I don't CTRL-C it.

Windows SMP is entirely a BETA client so you cant get too cranky about losing WUs or points over it.. but yes, properly stopping it (if it's a service) or using Ctrl+C will minimize WU loss.

Back