Windows Server 8

jadams

2[H]4U
I'm downloading the developer preview right now and gonna check it out. Has anyone else had a chance to look at it?

I thought I saw screenshots of the Metro UI on there. Thats is quite annoying to say the very least.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the SMB 2.2 protocol which allow HyperV VM's to be stored on NAS devices.

Jadams,

Did you get this off Technet, or MSDN perhaps? Where can this be grabbed?
Also you wouldn't happen to be in Texas would you?!?!

I wonder if they have they pre-broken Samba (NT4) domain authentication straight away, or will that come later?

Am I right in thinking the download is listed only as "Windows Server Developer Preview" with no official mention of the version/number "8" in the description or release notes (3.5GB for the DVD ISO, 2.2GB for the HyperV VM image).

I'm downloading the developer preview right now and gonna check it out. Has anyone else had a chance to look at it?

I thought I saw screenshots of the Metro UI on there. Thats is quite annoying to say the very least.

The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is the SMB 2.2 protocol which allow HyperV VM's to be stored on NAS devices.

You can already store your VMs on a SMB/NFS/CIFS share...you just have to use UNC paths instead of mapped drives or mounts.

You can already store your VMs on a SMB/NFS/CIFS share...you just have to use UNC paths instead of mapped drives or mounts.

You've done this yourself?? Id be very interested to know how you did it. I've tried UNC paths and it didnt work. On folder I know are WIDE open. HyperV has always told me it didnt have permissions.

After researching I've found multiple saying it just wasnt possible and gave up.

You've done this yourself?? Id be very interested to know how you did it. I've tried UNC paths and it didnt work. On folder I know are WIDE open. HyperV has always told me it didnt have permissions.

After researching I've found multiple saying it just wasnt possible and gave up.

You have to add the computer account to the network share permissions...even if you have it shared w/ "everyone"....DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$

You have to configure the UNC path on the local hyper-manager, remote tools will throw an error. "Failed to create external configuration store at '\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\FOLDERNAME': General access denied error (0x80070005)". You can try using constrained delegation to get around this though. I f personally find it easier to just RDP to the box and do it.

REF: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/...g-hyper-v-that-uses-cifs-smb-file-shares.aspx

You have to add the computer account to the network share permissions...even if you have it shared w/ "everyone"....DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$

You have to configure the UNC path on the local hyper-manager, remote tools will throw an error. "Failed to create external configuration store at '\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME\FOLDERNAME': General access denied error (0x80070005)". You can try using constrained delegation to get around this though. I f personally find it easier to just RDP to the box and do it.

REF: http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/...g-hyper-v-that-uses-cifs-smb-file-shares.aspx

that same site says this at the top:

P.S.: After writing this blog post, I found that the specific scenario of using Hyper-V VHDs files on a file share is not supported by Microsoft in Windows Server 2008. This is documented at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183729.aspx. Look for a note that says "Network-attached storage (NAS) is not supported for Hyper-V".

I'm running a *nix based NAS. This is where my problems come in I believe. I was using OpenIndiana utilizing nappit. I joined the NIX NAS to the domain. I mapped the root user to the windows admin account. I created a share and made it available to everyone. I confirmed this accessing the share with multiple users and create/delting/copying/moving junk to the folder. However whenever I try to add a VHD that resided in that share it was a no go.

Yea i dunno, i did it on a windows share, works fine.

Not Supported != Does not work.

Here we go..

screen-8-server.jpg

I find this VERy hard to use i give this os server 8 a dislike JUST like dislike for windows 8 desktop

Yeah Windows 8 was completely unusable to me. I'll get my coworker with MSDN to download the server preview tomorrow when he's back at the office, but I'm guessing I won't be impressed.

Yes very weird screenshots. I even saw screens across the internet with the Metro UI. That pisses me off.

F' with the workstations all you want. DO NOT change the functionality of the servers.

Yes very weird screenshots. I even saw screens across the internet with the Metro UI. That pisses me off.

F' with the workstations all you want. DO NOT change the functionality of the servers.

if you want a shot of something let me know ill screen shot it for ya..

I'm sure it'll be similar to winserver 2008 where you can do most things via cli.

if you want a shot of something let me know ill screen shot it for ya..

Here's my request list:

"windows+pausebreak" shows?

Device manager?

Control Panel?

Network and sharing center?

Security Center?

Firewall?

Advanced Firewall?

Windows Explorer?

Computer Management?

Server 8 is supposed to have a ton of new features. I for one am very excited to see what it can do. These are Previews, not even Betas so stop getting your panties worked up about the GUI. (I don't care for it either as it is right now, but it may change)

Here's my request list:

Device manager?

Control Panel?

Security Center?

Firewall?

Advanced Firewall?

Windows Explorer?

Computer Management?

Shows system.

Server 8 is supposed to have a ton of new features. I for one am very excited to see what it can do. These are Previews, not even Betas so stop getting your panties worked up about the GUI. (I don't care for it either as it is right now, but it may change)

I most certainly will get upset about the GUI. This coming from someone who welcomed the UI changes made in Vista and 7. The UI and the Metro interface associated with Windows 8 and what appears not to be the server are atrocious. Saying not to complain will only lead them to believe that the changes are ok.

Voice your opinion, thats how you get heard. And i DO NOT want that sort of interface on a server.

So I fired up Windows 8 server preview on Hyper-v.

So far everything seems cool, but good god.... the GUI makes me want to VOMIT.
Shame on you MS.... shame on you. :mad:

Here's my request list:

Device manager?

Control Panel?

Security Center?

Firewall?

Advanced Firewall?

Windows Explorer?

Computer Management?

Shows system.

" Wow" so when you do all those things...the new version of server...prints out the txt... "Shows system"

Or was that some sort of lazy way of saying...non of those pages have changed since Windows Server 2008 R2 :rolleyes:

" Wow" so when you do all those things...the new version of server...prints out the txt... "Shows system"

Or was that some sort of lazy way of saying...non of those pages have changed since Windows Server 2008 R2 :rolleyes:

It shows the system properties page... just like he said

SV5eI

A+ douchery. You win the prize.

It shows the system properties page... just like he said

SV5eI

A+ douchery. You win the prize.

LOL

I did some more playing with it, i find it hard to do things, oh and open ie to surf sure no problem, exit it to do something else WHAT THE FUCK you can't.

I do like how the network cpu ram etc etc is more detailed..

I wish i could figure out or if it's possible to monitor a whole week/month/day worth of info like cpu/ram/network.

That's one think i like about esxi..

Dash.

The start menu now launches the Metro UI. If you launch IE from the start menu it gets lauched as if it were a Metro app. It goes full screen.

In order to get back to your desktop press the Windows Key and choose desktop. Or through remote desktop I've moved the mouse as far left as I can go and just click... that also brings back the desktop.

Asinine beyond belief that MS is pushing this tablet based UI on is, especially with servers.

I installed (thanks dash) joined it to my lab domain, and configured it to be my backup dns/dc.

Ill shutdown the primary DC tomorrow and see if it works.

those screens for the server manager look like SUCH a waste of space.... this is a server OS, it does not need to look pretty!

Back