Windows Server 2003 File Server - Backup

matty2des

n00b
Hello, I'm looking for some suggestions. I have a Windows Server 2003 File Server which employees use to store data, as of right now everything is being backed up on tape (Every night). I would like to eliminate the tape and backup on to another Windows 2003 machine(everynight), i would also like the restore process (if a file goes missing ..etc) to be somewhat easy if possible. As well the fileserver holds around 500 GB, would that be too much to transfer each night? would i have to compress it?

Thanks
Matt

If you have another server, you can do weekly full backups of the 500gb (maybe on a Sunday?) and then each night back up anything thats changed during the day.
Do you have Shadow Copies enabled? that lets users restore files without having you look through the backups
I had a setup like you want, setup at one customer that didnt want to spring for a tape drive, it worked fine for him and he didnt have any problems. I did make sure to have him put the server being backed up to in the safest location in the building in case of a fire or something. We used KReplicator from karenware, it keeps 2 locations in sync and is easy to setup.

Back