Windows Phone Is Dead

All MS needs is to support Cisco AnyConnect and Cisco Jabber and they would be selling a bunch of phones.

The iPhones and Androids are like Photoshop, great software and total overkill if you just want to crop vacation pics. Really awesome that iOS/Android can do everything and then some, but most business users don't actually need any of that functionality. What business users need is to be able to stay in touch with and connect to the mothership.

Inexpensive smartphones that run Windows will only succeed in the enterprise market, and for that the enterprise apps need to be supported. Consumers will always buy those $700 devices for reasons unknown. Businesses will look at the price/performance and Windows phones shine in that, especially when Windows 10 finally comes to the phones.

Microsoft doesn't write the software. what you are saying is they need to get Cisco to support Windows phones. You are confused on your direction there.

I think Rio may have been done in by the high failure rate on the 1.8" IBM/Hitachi Shitstar drives they used. I had two and they both died pretty quickly. After that Rio stopped making new devices and there weren't a whole lot of disk-based DAPs. The smaller guys all stuck with cheap flash players except Cowon with their iAudio X5.

Maybe. I've got one on my desk that still works 12 years later. It's also worth noting that they used those drives, because Apple had all of the better drives (toshiba?) locked up.

I have to say that didn't matter to me. I got an extended warranty (something I rarely do). It coverd me when I dropped it on the ground...got a second one and here we are with a working DAP (though the battery sucks at this point).

The sad thing is that the company that bought the IP never did much with it. They put out one flash based DAP that was too small and AFAIK, it died after that. I kept waiting for them to release a better model, but it never happened.

At this point, I just wish Apple would include a solid EQ in their player. If they did, i'd convert my FLAC to AAC and dump it on my iPhone. as it stands, I just stream from home, because iSub has a decent EQ built in...though I can't get it to play back without gaps :(

LInux is pretty much everywhere. You probably use 1/2 a dozen "linux boxes" or more every day w/o even knowing it.

I'm only talking about Desktop Linux (as were the people back in 2003). On the server side, they're either #1 or #2. Both Linux and MS are in the low 30% range.

An article from 2013 about return rate on one model of Lumia in Nokia's home country, from when Nokia still had some brand recognition left to speak of (you know, before Microsoft destroyed it)? You really think that has any relevance in the current global smartphone landscape? Wake up. Winphone marketshare has nosedived from 3% to 1.1% in >6 MONTHS< -- At this point its just MS employees, a handful of angry zealots and thirdworlders using them as burners that are bothering. Hate to break it to you.

Reality check: Go into any cell store *today* and strike up a conversation with an employee, or better yet ask for a manager, and inquire about the return rate on Windows Phones.

sort of sad.

i'm in the boat with a lot of you. I have a lumia Icon on my desk right now. I bought it to play with the incoming windows 10 and found it to be one of the best OS experiences i have had on a phone. The hardware was also nice to hold and awesome to work with.

However, that phone is on my desk at home under my monitor, and i carry around an lg g4. Why if i love the phone don't i use it? Exactly what was mentioned before.

I travel a lot and need to be able to do my banking from my phone, i need to be able to use both teamviewer and logmein from my phone, and i also need to be able to use a credit card swipe payment app from my phone. Only after i retired the lumia did 1 of 3 of those come out (paypal supports windows phone).

i have a vita and 3ds for portable gaming, but I run both my own business and support the office a work for from the road. that is where the lack of apps came into play and i could no longer use the phone.

I was hoping that (the now put on hiatus) project astoria was going to correct the app issue and get the sideloading and or the play store onto windows phone... However, it looks like MS isn't focusing on that anymore which is a shame.

An article from 2013 about return rate on one model of Lumia in Nokia's home country, from when Nokia still had some brand recognition left to speak of (you know, before Microsoft destroyed it)? You really think that has any relevance in the current global smartphone landscape? Wake up. Winphone marketshare has nosedived from 3% to 1.1% in >6 MONTHS< -- At this point its just MS employees, a handful of angry zealots and thirdworlders using them as burners that are bothering. Hate to break it to you.

Reality check: Go into any cell store *today* and strike up a conversation with an employee, or better yet ask for a manager, and inquire about the return rate on Windows Phones.

At least I posted something remotely backed up by facts. "Go ask a retail manager" is stupid reasoning. Here's a secret for you, these retail employees and managers don't know jack shit. You think the company is sharing return numbers with some jackoff retail gm? You think that manager has the time to keep track of that shit?

I'm not saying that win phone is not dead as fuck just saying your arguments are pretty fucking stupid.

sort of sad.

i'm in the boat with a lot of you. I have a lumia Icon on my desk right now. I bought it to play with the incoming windows 10 and found it to be one of the best OS experiences i have had on a phone. The hardware was also nice to hold and awesome to work with.

However, that phone is on my desk at home under my monitor, and i carry around an lg g4. Why if i love the phone don't i use it? Exactly what was mentioned before.

I travel a lot and need to be able to do my banking from my phone, i need to be able to use both teamviewer and logmein from my phone, and i also need to be able to use a credit card swipe payment app from my phone. Only after i retired the lumia did 1 of 3 of those come out (paypal supports windows phone).

i have a vita and 3ds for portable gaming, but I run both my own business and support the office a work for from the road. that is where the lack of apps came into play and i could no longer use the phone.

I was hoping that (the now put on hiatus) project astoria was going to correct the app issue and get the sideloading and or the play store onto windows phone... However, it looks like MS isn't focusing on that anymore which is a shame.

Teamview works from the windows phone. I use it to access my home computer from my phone. So LogMeIn would be the only thing missing. That said not sure how long ago you dropped using the phone and when teamviewer app came around.

Teamview works from the windows phone. I use it to access my home computer from my phone. So LogMeIn would be the only thing missing. That said not sure how long ago you dropped using the phone and when teamviewer app came around.

it was in development when i had to move off it, so i was waiting for it to hit but had not yet released a working version.

was upset about logmein because it was a windows phone staple for years, then suddenly they pulled it one day.

that one was the especially bad one since teamviewer hates living on servers so logmein is how i handle the bulk of my backend work.

Back