Windows & partitions on USB-sticks

eeyrjmr

[H]ardness Supreme
I have gone and created two partitions on my 2gig USBstick (200meg and 1.7gig). On the 200meg I have put on the systemerestore CD (great liveCD for a whole manner of fixing things linux and some windows stuff).

That boots from USB fine \o/ HOWEVER windows refuses to see the other partition!!! in the diskmanager it see's the partition BUT I cannot even force a drive letter

is there some limitation in windows such it cannot deal with >1partition on a USB stick

I know this is true for floppy disks: I created 2 partitions on a floppy disk I have and linux can write to both BUT windows just ignores the partition table and just write to the disk (eventually hosing the 2nd partition)

Yeh, Windows has problems seeing more than 1 partition on a thumb drive

I've got a small drive with two partitions on it, the first is in CDFS and the second is fat, and they are both recognized and assigned a drive letter.... but the CDFS partition is recognized as an optical drive, so maybe an arrangement like that would work?

yer maybe
how you set the FS to be that? or did you just change the partition type?

I've got a small drive with two partitions on it, the first is in CDFS and the second is fat, and they are both recognized and assigned a drive letter.... but the CDFS partition is recognized as an optical drive, so maybe an arrangement like that would work?
I haven't plugged it in for a while, but isn't this how U3 drives work?

pff did it, but not an option for me, syslinux needs a FAT partition to work from
I might try setting the 1st partition type to one of those Dell recovery partitions type (de) that way winWont wont try to use that as the ONLY partition, allowing me to use the other

stupid really

Back