Windows Millennium and SATA

meleneum

n00b
I have just upgraded a friends motherboard, harddrive etc.
He has Windows ME and wants to keep using it.
Motherboard MSI k6 delta kt600, xp 2500, 256mb infineon mem.
Seagate 80 gb SATA HDD
The VIA serial ata Raid Controller has a yellow exclamation thru it. It is the only drive on the system, no hard drives show up in device manager.
I have tried different drivers for the raid controller, the drive does not show up in any raid utilities.
Unlike Win XP there is no option to install the driver before the Windows install.
I have been able to install Windows but when I reinstall the VIA sata drivers Windows won't boot, upon reboot it disables the controller.

ok one BIG thing

ME IS THE WORST OS KNOWN TO MAN his computer will be crashing left and right. TRY to get him to upgrade to XP.

or get him on linux

ANYTHING is beter then ME anything.

Yeah thanks, that's been my experience too, but for some strange reason he's had very few problems so he wants to keep it. But thanks for your response, maybe if he reads a few postings like this it will convince him.

mel

Yeah, there are some serious issues with ME. Win98SE is a thousand times better and ME.

He has had relatively few problems in the past? The only way you don't have problems with ME is if you don't DO anything with your pc. He is a surfer and an e-mailer, isn't he?

Long and short of it is, this problem is caused by ME. You want to fix it, upgrade to XP.

Quick question, in the system specs you list one drive. Why are you trying to setup RAID on one drive? Even for RAID 0 you still need at least two drives.

Thanks for the anti ME support this will be good amo in convincing him to change. As far as the comment on trying to set up RAID I'm not. However as soon as you plug in a SATA drive the VIA RAID controller pops up in device manager as a SCSI controller, this is the same as in Win XP except in XP you install a driver when you are setting Windows, ME would not let me do that and has a yellow exclamation.

Have you gone to the RAID controller's manufacturer's web site and downloaded the drivers and software for it?

The controller is onboard VIA vt8237 I have been to VIA s website and also MSI (manf of mobo) both have drivers I have tried, still locks Windows or disables the controller both are supposed to be for Win ME. Neither talk about using a single drive, only RAID, but it doesn't say you can't either. I have successfully used a single drive on almost the exact system except Win XP.
I'm getting the feeling I'm not going to have a choice but to put XP on the system. I realize this is for the best, but it still makes you feel like MS has beaten you!

Ask your friend if he has ever mysteriously experienced slowdown with his computer for no reason at all in which only a reboot will fix. If so he's found the biggest problem with WinME. A known memory leak problem with the OS.
Ditch WinME.

Yes he has experieced slow downs requiring a reboot, he apparently didn't consider this to be a problem. Would drive me crazy after a while. Anyway, after reading everyones post on ME and without an imediate fix he has decided to switch to XP.
I would like to Thank every one for their posts.
Mel

Back