Windows media player using my cpu a lot, and slowing down videos. Help, please!

zamardii

2[H]4U
WMP started acting weird. Like, I started a videoclip and the video would be like going frame by frame, and my computer was sounding like it was loading something big, and then I go into task manager and the CPU is around 20-40, and the mem usage is around 240,000+ and this isn't anything new i'm playing. Do I have a virus, or something? Idk what to do.

You don't have a virus or anything of that matter. What you do have here is windows media player. Thats your problem. Its a crappy buggy piece of ass media player. Rid yourself of it's awfulness and get Winamp for your music and VLC Media Player for all your video needs. Windows Media Player is a resource hog and in general buggy.

1) What are the specs of your PC?
2) What kind of videoclips are you trying to play? HD content? music videos?
3) What file type are these video clips? .wmv? .avi?
4) Is this a recent thing or has this problem always happened?

Oh and I also recommend VLC. It's one of the best video players out there.

You don't have a virus or anything of that matter. What you do have here is windows media player. Thats your problem. Its a crappy buggy piece of ass media player... Windows Media Player is a resource hog and in general buggy.
funny I think the same way about winamp!

VLC is indeed good for video though.

You don't have a virus or anything of that matter. What you do have here is windows media player. Thats your problem. Its a crappy buggy piece of ass media player. Rid yourself of it's awfulness and get Winamp for your music and VLC Media Player for all your video needs. Windows Media Player is a resource hog and in general buggy.

Interesting, I've been using WMP since 7 and have never had the issues he has. Hmm, maybe I'm just lucky(I don't think so). If you've been running WMP for a while now and not had these issues, I'd venture a guess and say it's not the media player.

I would look into viruses and spyware/malware to start with(cheapest, easiest fix, and never hurts to run a scan anyways). I got tagged hitting a video game site and got a bug. I was playing NWN2 just fine before the site, and around 5-10fps after the site. I did a fast scan at trendmicro.com and found 1 bug. Deleted that bug and my computer was back up to par.

Otherwise, maybe an update or piece of software you installed recently is having issues with WMP.

Definitly post some of the answers to the questions Danny asked, those will help a lot.

Back